Is Toriyama anti-swords?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Is Toriyama anti-swords?

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:14 pm

I was looking at an other topic, and it just turned on to the topic of swords in DB. There aren't very many swords, for example. A list of a few swords was made, and I remembered a few things like how they used scissors in one point where it could have been swords.

So, what do you think? Is Toriyama even slightly anti-swords? You can look at his other manga, too. If you want, that is.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:29 pm

I dunno. Making the argument that he's "anti-swords" because swords don't turn up often is a bit...rubbish. Like saying he's anti-shuriken, because they never turned up. Or anti Lour Ferigno, because he wasn't there.

Besides, as pointed out in another thread, Trunks' sword was a fairly iconic weapon. Sure, it got broken after a bit, but no-one's going to forget how he killed Freeza. I don't think he'd have done that if he was really anti-sword.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:34 pm

Thinking back, another reason why he probably isn't A-S is that I remember pictures of Ackman and Cashman holding swords. Aside from that, I can't remember any sword stuff in other manga.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:48 pm

Ya there was also his one-shot story of the little samurai Kennosuke.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:38 pm

Actually, I think Murasaki had used shuriken, so he can't be totally anti-shuriken. I definitely remember Murasaki using kunai, anyway, but I'd have to go read or watch for the shuriken again.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:54 pm

Anti-sword? What the heck are you talking about, their's as many swords in the series as their is guns. The giant cat bandit Goku fought in DB used a sword. Yamucha originally used a sword. The ninja assasin brothers in Muscle tower all used swords.

And of course their's always Trunks...except his sword broke. :shock:

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:47 am

The ninja assassin brothers all used swords? Do you mean Purple, because that episode was on today, and only one used a sword. There was... uhm... a sword, a staff, a kusari-gama, a gun, and, uhm, shit. How could I forget so fast?

But yeah, I guess that's one more sword.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:01 am

Your right, they all used different weapons. But they all had katana's on their backs, they just didn't use them.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:03 am

Zackarotto watched YTV! Was GT good? I taped it for later. It'll be a new ep for me!
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:13 am

I always watch YTV on fridays... GT wasn't bad. Heh. Had some laughs with Inuyasha.

Gotta love thems Kusari-Gamas. Bestest weapon evar! My friend is going to help make me one... We have the weight, the chain, but that wooden scythe just keeps breaking. Grr! Very sharp though. Tore through all of those icy snowmen's necks like a hot knife through butter, before breaking on me.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:30 am

Planning to take it and slice down any irritating fangirls at Anime North Zacko? Cause, you know, it would be right up your alley. :P

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:19 am

Irritating and Fangirl go one in the same my friend :/

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:27 am

Very true. 8)

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:31 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun. Although, it'll take a bit of practice until I'm at the point where I can seriously hunt the fangirls.

Although, every minute in my friend's snowman littered backyard that's not spent freezing to death because of a lack of proper winter clothing is spent wipping a kusari-gama chain around snowman legs and wipping that sickle at his face.

So, I think that I'll be ready in time for the next Anime North. When is it, again?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:11 pm

Anime North is Victoria Day Weekend, and it's actually not hard to hunt fangirls down. They're really easy to find. You just look around for the most giggly, obnoxious, usually dressed-up, females around the place. Another tip:they'll be constantly throwing words like "o-haiyo", "konnichiwa", "baka", "gomen", "ja ne", and "kawaii" every five seconds into their speech. And when they aren't fighting over those Heero+Duo doujinshis for sale, they can be found engaging in the act of "glomping" people. :wink: :P

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:31 pm

...I think I've found a new career...

:twisted:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:33 pm

Yeah, you could become known as "The Anime Fan-Girl Hunter"! *Australian Aboriginal music starts playing in the background* :mrgreen:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:24 am

Jerseymilk wrote:Another tip:they'll be constantly throwing words like "o-haiyo", "konnichiwa", "baka", "gomen", "ja ne", and "kawaii" every five seconds into their speech.
Christ...you mean they actually say them in real life, too?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:43 am

Card Captor Sakura fangirls. The only thing more annoying then Sailor Moon fangirls. They dress just as annoyingly, only they say more annoying cutesy shit because of the first episode of CCS: Keero saying hello. :x

"Koooooonyononochiwaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"

Repeat ten times for each fangirl saying it. Run ten miles for each fan-middle-aged-man saying.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:34 am

Yeah? I had an audio clip of that being said. I tortured people with it. But wasn't it "Konyonyachiwa!" or something? "Koooooonyononochiwaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" doesn't sound right to me...

Either way, the last thing I want played during my work is "Australian Aboriginal music". Give me some better stuff to work with, will ya? I've always liked "Fangirls suck, eat a fetus" (Yes, I'm aware that I read too many webcomics).