Ever taken a break from Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie

Ever taken a break from Dragon Ball?

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:03 pm

I've watched the whole anime about 3 times in the past 12 or so months, so I think it's about time for me. I think that after so much heavy viewing some parts of the story lose their impact, and it pains me to see that happening.

How about you guys? Ever decided to just take a break from the anime or manga for a while?

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Ever taken a break from Dragon Ball?

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Occasionally, I focus on other projects (school, wrestling, friends, transit, etc..)
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:08 pm

The NBA Playoffs have completely consumed my entertainment priorities for the last 2 months or so.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:32 pm

I just come here, play some of the games, and watch the newest Dragon Box when it comes out(first time viewing the cartoon). Watching it 3 times in a row sounds like a terrible experience.

Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:17 pm

Makaioshin wrote:I just come here, play some of the games, and watch the newest Dragon Box when it comes out(first time viewing the cartoon). Watching it 3 times in a row sounds like a terrible experience.
I hadn't seen it in years :p It was a perfect nostalgia trip, believe me.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:06 pm

Zarathustra wrote:
Makaioshin wrote:I just come here, play some of the games, and watch the newest Dragon Box when it comes out(first time viewing the cartoon). Watching it 3 times in a row sounds like a terrible experience.
I hadn't seen it in years :p It was a perfect nostalgia trip, believe me.
Ah.
Yeah, a break would definitely be needed after that to keep it fresh, haha.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 pm

I attempted to in the past few weeks leading up to my birthday (am getting the second half of Dragonball in boxset form)... I failed...
:P
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:19 am

I haven't watched any episodes since February.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:00 am

Lots of times. I find that I go through phases with all my entertainment outlets (there are many). Before Kai I wasn't really doing a whole lot with the series. A few years back I had refused to buy the Orange Bricks and, with my hopes for owning the series in it's entirety being mostly dashed, I moved on, periodically renting the games here and there. The Dragon Box announcement and Kai coming along piqued my interest again.

Kai was something new...ish, and I got my fill. Haven't really touched Dragon Ball much since it ended. I'm still grabbing the Dragon Boxes but haven't actually sat down and watched them extensively yet. I figure at some point I'll get the itch again and watch them through. If we're lucky and get all the remaining Dragon Boxes I'm guessing my next phase will include watching from Episode 1 of Dragon Ball to episode 64 of GT, adding the movies and specials in where they belong.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:22 am

I've been watching on and off, mostly thanks to my Kai blu-ray sets that I've been slowly getting through. Though I don't see how anyone could watch the entire series three times. That's kinda crazy.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:32 am

I took a break from about February this year and just recently got back into it last month when I started watching the Kai dub and ordered the next Dragon Box.

funrush

Post by funrush » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:31 am

I take a few breaks, mostly to watch/read other anime/manga. But now the new episodes of Kai every week have regained my interest.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:21 am

I only watch when I get a new Dragonbox.

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:49 pm

Well... yes and no. If we're talking about watching the anime or reading the manga I don't do that very often. But I always keep Dragon Ball very close to me, so to say. I'd occasionally play some games, watch some clips, etc. Nothing too excessive. But I think I'd lose my sanity if I ever stopped being involved in it.

This is the one thing that can always make me smile when I'm feeling down and always makes me feel hopeful and cheerful about life in general.

But as far as watching the series goes... the last time I watched them in their entirity was in 2007. Then the Dragon Box came out and I've been watching every box as it becomes availible. :)

Manga-wise, right now is my first time reading and owning it. I am loving ever bit of it and can't wait to collect it all!

mysticboy

Post by mysticboy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:32 pm

I post here and on the Dragonball forums (Ex Goku's Corner), play the games, and watch Kai. That's pretty much all I do with DB nowadays.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I only watch when I get a new Dragonbox.
This.
Makaioshin wrote:I just come here, play some of the games, and watch the newest Dragon Box when it comes out. Watching it 3 times in a row sounds like a terrible experience.
And this. This site is great in a number of ways, but sometimes it borders on TMI. I enjoyed Dragon Ball a good deal, but never to the point of having to "take a break" from it, as some regulars here may be of the sort to have to do.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:00 pm

Zarathustra wrote: How about you guys? Ever decided to just take a break from the anime or manga for a while?
I call that time period for me September 2010 to August 2011
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Haha, I just got off from a break from the series to catch up on some Spider-Man stuffs. Now that school out, and there's new dubbed Kai episodes, I've gotten back into the fandom, which in my case means me posting on these here forums again (yay!).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:25 pm

I lost interest in Kai since the end of the Cell arc and haven't watched/played anything since, so I pretty much am taking a break right now save for visiting the forum.

I'll probably get back into DBZ mode again once the new game comes out.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:09 pm

For the past 4 months, I took a break from Dragon Ball and completely focused on One Piece. Now after I heard that Shueisha milked Dragon Ball once again with Bardock, I'm back.