"Soul" or "Remains"?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

"Soul" or "Remains"?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:02 pm

This was something that was slightly tangentially mentioned in the "Kuririn Revived" thread from a few weeks back. I posted this, but the thread died off at that point. I do think it's something worth talking about, and it's something that's rather confused me for quite a number of years:

"That's something that's bugged me. "Remains" always made more sense to me than "soul. The "soul" wouldn't be anywhere near planet Namek, it would be in the next world. If everything was dependent on the location of the soul, that problem would be meaningless. Only the remains are floating in space. When people are brought back to life, except in the rare occasion where their bodies follow them to the afterlife, it seems that their souls reinhabit their bodies, which are given life. Why the hell would their souls be floating around the physical world anyway? It makes it sound like they were killed by a mazoku, and the last time I checked, Freeza isn't. So how exactly does moving around their "souls" rather than their "remains" accomplish anything? What are the exact words used in the original version to describe this process?

Hell, if soul was really used, then FUNimation's censoring of that scene actually makes it make more sense, wherein Vegeta recommends they wish them (the dead Goku and Kuririn) to Earth's "Check-In Station." That would somewhat tie-in with the fact that Kaio's jurisdiction doesn't extend to Namek. However, it would contradict the earlier stated declaration that Enma judges the dead of ALL worlds. So if Enma's jurisdiction covers the entire universe, then having to shuffle around their souls makes even less sense. I'd almost go so far as to say this plot point rather flies in the face of everything we've learned so far about death and the afterlife."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4