Freeza in Video Games

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBfan4life
Beyond Newbie

Freeza in Video Games

Post by DBfan4life » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:08 am

I was watching the trailer for the new Dragonball Z Ultimate Tenkaichi game and when it showed the part where Goku shoots the final blast at Freeza, he had his whole body still intact. This made me think about past DBZ video games and if I'm not wrong, in each one Freeza never is cut in half like he is in the series and manga. So I was just wondering if anyone knows the reason for this? Thanks.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Re: Freeza in Video Games

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:18 am

Theres no move designed to cut a character in half, and we haven't had great cutscenes in forever to explain it.

I assume the soccer mom rating squad for games wouldn't even allow it. It'd be super censored and bloodless or something.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:02 am

Too much trouble creating individual 3D models? Even if they included the one for Freezer than this would mean that whenever Trunks performed the move in game any character who met his sword would have to be bisected resulting in a higher age rating.
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

DBfan4life
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBfan4life » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:46 pm

Oh I see. Thanks for answering the question guys. I guess it would be a lot of trouble to do that and then make it so that Trunks cuts everybody with his sword also.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:19 pm

DBfan4life wrote:Oh I see. Thanks for answering the question guys. I guess it would be a lot of trouble to do that and then make it so that Trunks cuts everybody with his sword also.
Yeah... let's NOT see Trunks hack Pan and Videl in half...

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:25 pm

*Remembers Pan's dialogue and behavior in GT* Yeah we uh...we defintely don't want that.

Please Spike...Don't waste a VALUABLE character slot on Videl, but let us see Mr. Satan again.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:57 pm

This still doesn't explain why they can't have him cut in half in a cutscene. I think the only game to show him cut in half was the first Budokai.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:17 pm

funrush wrote:This still doesn't explain why they can't have him cut in half in a cutscene. I think the only game to show him cut in half was the first Budokai.
It kind of does. All of the games (including Budokai 1) render their cutscenes using the in-game engine rather than opening-style anime cutscenes (which, by the way, I would personally prefer to see at least once). Cut-in-[X] pieces Freeza would require the creation of a character model, even if it is just 100% Freeza without his legs, tail, etc. I genuinely think there's a certain amount of laziness that goes into not having this in the games, but they're clearly not interested in creating a character model that does one thing and that's the end of him.

Part of the problem could also be associated with the annualization of the DBZ games. I know there have been different developers over time, but when a series has annual games, they'd rather focus on creating a few new playable characters than making that one character model that isn't overly necessary (which is, of course, an arguable point). It seems that if they'd just stop making DBZ games for a couple of years, they could pool their resources and make something spectacular rather than "Another year, another 7-8/10 DBZ fighter."