FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DanielGClapp
Regular

Re: FUNimation to put DBZ on Blu-Ray

Post by DanielGClapp » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:21 pm

SSJMan wrote:Here is a picture of the menu for you man:)
http://images2.static-bluray.com/review ... _1080p.jpg
YESSS!!! Marathon mode! That was the only thing I loved about the orange bricks!

Brodes_Vegetto

Post by Brodes_Vegetto » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:42 pm

I must have missed the chit chat about the amount of episodes per set... ummm 17 eps, why so little??
Brogetto

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Brodes_Vegetto wrote:I must have missed the chit chat about the amount of episodes per set... ummm 17 eps, why so little??
They will probably do the same thing with these as they did with Kai. I expect to see them repackage these in full on levels before they finish with the releases they've got going now.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Brodes_Vegetto wrote:I must have missed the chit chat about the amount of episodes per set... ummm 17 eps, why so little??
DBZ is one of the few anime that can sell to people who aren't anime fans. So setting the price as low as possible increases the chance a non anime fan will buy it.

They figured out the most they could stick in a set and keep a reasonable price would be roughly 17 episodes (I expect small variances in numbers set to set.)

By sticking to that episode count they could have the MSRP at $35. Having the MSRP at $35 means most stores will sell it at $30 or less. A few places already have prices down to $25 and I'm sure even lower.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:26 pm

The screenshots really look nice, glad to see Funimation didn't screw anything up with this release. While it's awesome to see that the ultimate DBZ set for all fans have finally came out, I'm still going to pass on them. I can't see myself repurchasing DBZ again after getting the final Dragon Box and getting the last Kai sets.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

dragonpiece
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonpiece » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:00 pm

thedarkuniter wrote:The screenshots really look nice, glad to see Funimation didn't screw anything up with this release. While it's awesome to see that the ultimate DBZ set for all fans have finally came out, I'm still going to pass on them. I can't see myself repurchasing DBZ again after getting the final Dragon Box and getting the last Kai sets.
Ultimate? Would not say that at all. Doesn't even look like all dub fans are satisfied here.
Twitter.com/Dragonpiece

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:21 pm

dragonpiece wrote:
thedarkuniter wrote:The screenshots really look nice, glad to see Funimation didn't screw anything up with this release. While it's awesome to see that the ultimate DBZ set for all fans have finally came out, I'm still going to pass on them. I can't see myself repurchasing DBZ again after getting the final Dragon Box and getting the last Kai sets.
Ultimate? Would not say that at all. Doesn't even look like all dub fans are satisfied here.
While this doesn't include alternate angles or next episode previews, I still consider this the ultimate set for DBZ fans. Pretty much it has the original 4x3 aspect ratio, and 3 audio options ( Japanese, English with Kikuchi score and English with Broadcast score). It may not please those are want everything like the episode titles in Japanese and such, but this set is still much appealing compared to the Dragon Boxes.

SSJMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJMan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:04 pm

I only have one problem with it. The Bit rate is around 29mb, which is very good but there is so much information in the grain that you can see a lot of blocking (compression square/artifacts). They should have given it around 40mb with 3 discs. But despite all that the picture look great, in my opinion is the best its ever looked.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:26 pm

SSJMan wrote:I only have one problem with it. The Bit rate is around 29mb, which is very good but there is so much information in the grain that you can see a lot of blocking (compression square/artifacts). They should have given it around 40mb with 3 discs. But despite all that the picture look great, in my opinion is the best its ever looked.
As a professional I assume you could do the bitrate math.

At 25 minutes each, 17 episodes comes out to 425 minutes.

Even if they only used 512k total for audio you'd only be able to have a max bitrate of around 38 before maxing out 3 disks.

With the proper 3 lossless tracks of this, it'd be far under that.

None of that takes into account that at the retail price they are aiming for the pricing needs two disks.

And disappointingly someone already said this earlier. Although they weren't ludicrous enough to say 40.

SSJMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJMan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:29 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
SSJMan wrote:I only have one problem with it. The Bit rate is around 29mb, which is very good but there is so much information in the grain that you can see a lot of blocking (compression square/artifacts). They should have given it around 40mb with 3 discs. But despite all that the picture look great, in my opinion is the best its ever looked.
As a professional I assume you could do the bitrate math.

At 25 minutes each, 17 episodes comes out to 425 minutes.

Even if they only used 512k total for audio you'd only be able to have a max bitrate of around 38 before maxing out 3 disks.

With the proper 3 lossless tracks of this, it'd be far under that.

None of that takes into account that at the retail price they are aiming for the pricing needs two disks.

And disappointingly someone already said this earlier. Although they weren't ludicrous enough to say 40.
Your a jerk. You know what my bit rate math was. Right clicking and looking at the bit rate. and I said it should have been 40.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:32 pm

SSJMan wrote:Your a jerk. You know what my bit rate math was. Right clicking and looking at the bit rate.
How am I being a jerk?

With the known contents of the set you couldn't have the video be 40 Mbit/s (which was your suggestion) over 3 disks.

SSJMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJMan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:37 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
SSJMan wrote:Your a jerk. You know what my bit rate math was. Right clicking and looking at the bit rate.
How am I being a jerk?

With the known contents of the set you couldn't have the video be 40 Mbit/s (which was your suggestion) over 3 disks.
Just read how you write your comments.
Adding an extra 10mb. which is 1/3 of what is already there. all you would need to do is space the episodes out on 3 discs. There is more then enough room.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:44 pm

ect5150 wrote:My only complaint - if I were to have to register one - is that the grain causes encoding issues. The average bitrate tends to be around 25 Mbits/sec for the video. But for grainy material, it always looks better slightly higher. Ideally, I would have liked to have seen higher bitrates and just a third disc for the space. The BD spec for the video will support a maximum video bitrate of around 40 Mbits/sec. That, the inclusion of the opening title cards and next ep. previews would be ideal. Otherwise, the video clean up appears to be just as good as the DBox cleanup... which is saying something.
Gosh golly gee willikers.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:45 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a commercial Blu-ray use 40mbps video. It's hard enough to find one that uses 30.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

SSJMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJMan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:49 pm

Puto wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a commercial Blu-ray use 40mbps video. It's hard enough to find one that uses 30.
They practically don't exist. But with funimations software cinema craft hd encoder it goes up to 40 for avc. And there are some problems with compression because there is so much grain. If they could have added one more disc it would have been perfect.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:50 pm

SSJMan wrote:Just read how you wright you comments.
Adding an extra 10mb. which is 1/3 of what is already there. all you would need to do is space the episodes out on 3 discs. There is more then enough room.
You may want to pull out a bitrate calculator and check your math.

Let's take one disk with 6 episodes.

Roughly 25 minutes each.

150 minutes total.

A dual layer disk is 47.6 gigs.

3 lossless audio tracks- Let's say 3.5Mbit/s total (it's likely more than that, but let's lowball it.)

That leaves roughly 39.5Mbit/s for video. And that is if you max out the disk, which generally isn't done because mistakes can be made in authoring and quick changes may need to be made, so a few gigs are generally left free.

It also doesn't take into account that the audio bitrate would likely be higher, or take into account any extras, or anything else that needs to be on the disk.

You aren't going to hit 40Mbit/s.

If you have a bitrate calculator feel free to post numbers. It's possible mine are wrong, but I don't think they are.

SSJMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJMan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:07 am

MarcFBR wrote:
SSJMan wrote:Just read how you wright you comments.
You may want to pull out a bitrate calculator and check your math.

Let's take one disk with 6 episodes.

Roughly 25 minutes each.

150 minutes total.

A dual layer disk is 47.6 gigs.

3 lossless audio tracks- Let's say 3.5Mbit/s total (it's likely more than that, but let's lowball it.)

That leaves roughly 39.5Mbit/s for video. And that is if you max out the disk, which generally isn't done because mistakes can be made in authoring and quick changes may need to be made, so a few gigs are generally left free.

It also doesn't take into account that the audio bitrate would likely be higher, or take into account any extras, or anything else that needs to be on the disk.

You aren't going to hit 40Mbit/s.
I could explain video compression to you but I'm sure you would find some way to say I'm wrong. So I will show you the facts and its very simple. 29837kb is the files bit rate = 29.1377mb adding 10mb would be 1/3 of the file size adding a one more disk witch could give it 1/2 of extra space. that is more then what is needed. Its common sense. :lol:
Now leave it alone. end of story.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:09 am

The only Blu-ray discs that are in the high 30's are probably my Japanese imports. I'm not too techie about bitrates and stuff, but they're using 3 loseless tracks and 9 episodes per disc which is 17 episodes across two discs plus the bonus features and trailers. Unless they remove the extras/ previews altogether, I can't possibility see how the disc could be higher than 30.

SSJMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJMan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:12 am

thedarkuniter wrote:The only Blu-ray discs that are in the high 30's are probably my Japanese imports. I'm not too techie about bitrates and stuff, but they're using 3 loseless tracks and 9 episodes per disc which is 17 episodes across two discs plus the bonus features and trailers. Unless they remove the extras/ previews altogether, I can't possibility see how the disc could be higher than 30.
with 3 discs you can. with 2 discs 30 is the highest you can go. And it is 30.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:13 am

SSJMan wrote: I could explain video compression to you but I'm sure you would find some way to say I'm wrong. So I will show you the facts and its very simple. 29837kb is the files bit rate = 29.1377mb adding 10mb would be 1/3 of the file size adding a one more disk witch could give it 1/2 of extra space. that is more then what is needed. Its common sense. :lol:
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd435/ssjman/1.jpg
Now leave it alone. end of story.
It's not the end of the story because you are wrong.

You aren't using a proper bitrate viewer to see the rates. From your image you are using the Windows Properties viewer. It's not showing you the AVERAGE bitrate. It's just showing you a 'generic high point.'

The actual bitrate is likely closer to 20.

You say you are a professional, so do the proper math.