Why No Subtitles On Cartoon Network?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Why No Subtitles On Cartoon Network?

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:57 pm

Why is it that in the CN version of "The Dead Zone" or "The Worlds Strongest", the subtitles are removed from the song that is playing in Japanese?

I'am not mad or anything, just curious as to why its done.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:06 am

I don't think it's widely known why, and I would imagine its impossible to guess their motives. I could imagine though, that they just decided that the current demographic [which seemed to hit squarely between 10, and 15] may be dissiniterested in knowing what the song meant, outside the scope of it being in Japanese- and that fact alone making it a trivial novelty to the young viewers.
However thats just my opinion, and I could be wrong. At that though, I am still glad Cartoon Network aired the movies when they did, or fans of the series would more than likely be shit out of luck for the first three films, until they're re-released, since the Pioneer dvd/vhs' aren't all that easy to track down.

Edit:
Note... There used to be [and still are a few around, who aren't exposed to the infinite wisdom of Daizenshuu Ex.] children who didn't know DragonBall Z was Japanese at all, let alone care, so I could imagine this might weigh on a FUNimation decision.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:59 am

The video for "The World's Strongest" dub didn't have subtitles anyway, unless you had a tv with closed captions. Then they would pop up.