New Dragonball series: would you be interested?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

New Dragonball series: would you be interested?

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu May 12, 2005 9:43 am

If Toriyama was to create a new Dragonball series with completely new characters, would you be interested? No Goku and Vejiita jr, no SSJ5, completely new. Would it feel the same to you?

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Thu May 12, 2005 9:52 am

Ditching all the old cast entirely? Nah, I would hate that.

I'd rather have spinoffs for existing under utilized characters than a whole new show. The fat Majin Boo would be a wonderful anchor for a comedy series.

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Thu May 12, 2005 10:30 am

Nah. Not a new TV series... I'm satisfied with what exists.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing a new DB or DBZ movie. :D

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Thu May 12, 2005 1:08 pm

I personally don't think we need another Dragonball series, even if it had a new cast. I'd rather see Toriyama do a completely new series.

That said though, I wouldn't mind seeing some more DB or DBZ movies, like Adnan suggested. It'd also be nice if said movies took place earlier in the series, so that characters that don't have spikey golden hair can get some screen time :P. A film that takes place right after Goku and Chi Chi get married would be great for example. Maybe Krillin could stay on screen for more then 50 seconds without getting beaten to a pulp.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Trunks Master Swordsman03
Banned

Post by Trunks Master Swordsman03 » Thu May 12, 2005 1:53 pm

I would check it out, but I would not be happy. Toriyama could not make a new series with new people, that'd be just wrong.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 12, 2005 2:30 pm

I don't think I'd be interested if he replaced the entire cast. As long as adult Goku and adult Veggie were in the show, I'd watch it.

A movie that takes place in one of the time gaps, such as the 5 years between the 23rd Budoukai and Raditsu, the 3 years before the androids, or the 10 years between Buu and Uub; would be fun :mrgreen:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Thu May 12, 2005 3:00 pm

A movie that takes place in one of the time gaps, such as the 5 years between the 23rd Budoukai and Raditsu,
Dead Zone

the 3 years before the androids,
Coola Revenge

or the 10 years between Buu and Uub; would be fun
Movie 13. :P

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Thu May 12, 2005 4:50 pm

Goku and co. are what make Dragonball in my opinion. A new series with a new cast definitely wouldn't feel like the same old Dragonball.

I'd probably still check it out though, just because it's Toriyama. I'm not sure if I'd like it or not.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Thu May 12, 2005 5:15 pm

Maybe a new anime would not happen.

But wouldn't it be better if Toriyama made the continuing story in a new manga, then Toei can make it after as an anime, I think that would be good, although very unlikely.

That, in my opinion would be the best way, that way the production of the anime could be decided on how the well manga sells, which obviously would sell like nuts, worldwide, that is if he wants them to create a new manga of it.

A new story with new characters, and leaving the old ones out wouldn't really be DBZ, so I don't think it would be good, even if they made special appearances.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu May 12, 2005 11:57 pm

I'd feel the same way I felt with the continuation of Robotech after the Macross footage. "Look at all those noobs, thinking they can save the Earth."

In my opinion, the ending of Dragon Ball was fine, and I didn't mind the GT ending either. Although I wouldn't really want a continuation of DB, I would probably end up liking one just because it's Dragon Ball.

Now, as for a new movie, I wouldn't mind a really long one encompassing the start of Dragon Ball up to the end of Z. Twenty-fifth anniversary, anyone?
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri May 13, 2005 12:15 am

*PINHEAD* wrote:Now, as for a new movie, I wouldn't mind a really long one encompassing the start of Dragon Ball up to the end of Z. Twenty-fifth anniversary, anyone?
I definitely wouldn't mind that, either. If it had a snowball's chance in hell of happening, I hope that it's got a good animation team behind it.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri May 13, 2005 12:37 am

I still say a Cel Shaded movie (ala B3's graphics, but even better) would be sweet. I don't really think a single moive could cover the series though. They could make a 'new series' of a sort for that though. Say, a 25 part series (hmm, that'd only be 12 and a half hours...) for the 25th aniversary of DB could cover all of DB. Things would need cut, changed, etc, but they could manage that I think.

And then come the 25th aniversary of the DBZ anime they could do the same for it. ^^ Heh, damn. All of DB/Z compressed into 50 eps / 25 hours. It would certainly be fun to watch. And I think that if they cut out the bulk (or all) of the filler, it'd be doable too.

(Would suggest the same for GT, but it's so short as it is it could easily be compressed into a single 2 or 3 hour moive.)
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri May 13, 2005 2:13 am

I'm not sure if it would work with only new characters, Maybe if It introduced a few new characters while keeping some of the old ones... Like having Uub become the protector of Earth alongside a new group of warriors or something...

Other than that the only thing I could probably imagine would be a spin-off comedy series starring Mr. Satan and Mr. Buu... That would be entertaining!

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Fri May 13, 2005 4:50 am

Nope, I dont want to see anything new ever again. People need to learn to let things go. Things have to end. I've seen many, many good shows and film franchises be constantly driven into the ground because people wont let them stop.

DBZ should have ended at the Frieza saga, it should have ended after the Cell saga, it should have ended after the Buu saga. Though still DBZ and we still love it, elements of the show got wore and worse with each continuation.

Just let it lie and enjoy it for what it is.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Fri May 13, 2005 5:35 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:Other than that the only thing I could probably imagine would be a spin-off comedy series starring Mr. Satan and Mr. Buu... That would be entertaining!
I'm pretty sure I once read Akira saying that if he ever did a new DB series, it would be about those two.

Hmm. While I do like how DB ended and feel they should leave it as it is, part of me would be happy if another series was made. As SaiyamanMS said, one which perhaps focused on the next generation of warriors, lead by Uub and maybe Pan could prove to be interesting. I also think some more movies and maybe a What If storyline that changes some of the plot aspects could also be a nice idea.

Frankly I'm happy either way.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri May 13, 2005 6:38 am

They could do as so many other series have done. Alternate Unvierses. Tenchi did it more than once. American comics love to restart everything.
I'm not sure if it would work with only new characters.
Actually, I'm quite sure it would. One of the most popular Fanfics on FF.net does just that. Only Dende is still alive, Goku/Mr. Buu/the Kai's only make cameo appearances really. Everyone else is original (even if the enemies are Changelings again). That story would be The Return by the Smooster.
Nope, I dont want to see anything new ever again. People need to learn to let things go. Things have to end. I've seen many, many good shows and film franchises be constantly driven into the ground because people wont let them stop.

DBZ should have ended at the Freeza saga, it should have ended after the Cell saga, it should have ended after the Buu saga. Though still DBZ and we still love it, elements of the show got wore and worse with each continuation.

Just let it lie and enjoy it for what it is.
Actually, that's not it for me. Ya, I know, it's run it's course and all. The story is over, etc, etc, etc. But I've grown to love the characters. I know this probably sounds... strange (to say the least) but they're like friends in a way. I know them inside and out, front to back. I know them well enough to WRITE them (in my fanfics) rather convincingly I've heard. And I followed these people through their lives. Decades on their part, 6+ years on my part.

DBZ was a big part of my life really. It was the ONE thing I looked forward to each day. The one thing I couldn't go without. I fought tooth and nail not to miss an episode. And, as I said, over the years of watching DB/Z, I fell in love with the story, the characters, the everything.

And so, from that angle, the story being over is like saying good-bye to really good friends. I've found my way to hold on by writing my fanfictions and playing the Budokai games. Plus I intend to own the series (well, in a way, I guess I do already). But, in the end, a new series or movies, a nice new trip back to that world, would be more than welcome for me.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Snowe

Post by Snowe » Fri May 13, 2005 8:35 am

I'd like some short series, such as backstories. For instance, a short series on Freeza, how he hired Dodoria & Zarbon, etc...

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Fri May 13, 2005 8:40 am

This is just my opinion but like I said, people need to learn to let go. Keep it alive and get your fix with fan writings, art, games, mods, discussions. Personally though, I dont want to see anything else official.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri May 13, 2005 8:43 am

I think it could work, if Toei didnt get their greedy little hands on it. Id love to see something set in the dragonball world but nothing to do with Goku's legacy. Say it could be set in the future.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Fri May 13, 2005 8:49 am

If they really had to do something it would be best if it had nothing to do with the main DBZ characters I agree. Its something they should do with the games so they dont have to cut up the story and game balance trying to retain true to he series. It would save them a whole load of problems.

Imagine a DBZ third person action/rpg set in another galaxy in the DB universe. Where you get to create your own character and attacks. Who woulden't buy it!