The Dragon Ball Kai Logo

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

The Dragon Ball Kai Logo

Post by cloud1414 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Now I dont know if has been talked about before, if it has sorry for not doing research and mods can lock it if it needs to be locked. But I've always been wondering, why did Funimation remove the kanji from the Dragon Ball Z Kai logo?

Dragon Ball Kai Logo:

Dragon Ball Z Kai Logo:

I honestly think it would of looked a lot better with the kanji in the Z Kai logo.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The Dragon Ball Kai Logo

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:37 pm

But... Funimation didn't touch the kanji! It's still there! The katakana of the other hand... Yeah, that's gone. But the whole purpose of that was to tell Japanese kids that it was pronounced "Doragon Booru Kai". There's no real need for it in the English version.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:38 pm

They kept the kanji.

They removed the kana.

Why? Presumably because it wasn't an integral part of the design, it already looked busy as fuck, Western audiences by and large can't read Japanese, and they had to fit an additional "Z" in there.

EDIT -- Narrowly beaten.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:23 pm

it would of looked a lot better
I'm sure you mean, "would have".

I think Funi removing that is a good idea. It would look way to messy with it.

By the way, what does that orange font say? It looks familiar.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:29 pm

SylentEcho wrote:By the way, what does that orange font say? It looks familiar.
Kai.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:59 am

Also, Toei did the logo with the Z, not FUNimation. It's on other international versions such as the French dub, too.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:18 am

To the best of my knowledge, it is called "Dragon Ball Z Kai" everywhere in the world except Japan. A slight exception is Brazil, in that there dub refers to the show as "Dragon Ball Kai," in ads and in the opening when the narrator pronounces the title of the show. However, since their dub is based on the Nicktoons-censored English dub, the "Z Kai" logo is still the official logo for the show.

No official reason has been given for why Toei made the change, but it was indeed Toei who made it, not FUNimation.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:44 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:No official reason has been given for why Toei made the change, but it was indeed Toei who made it, not FUNimation.
I'm sure the reasoning is: No one will get what "Kai" means. Toei probably thought it was the best way to get the point across of what the show actually is.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:19 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:No official reason has been given for why Toei made the change, but it was indeed Toei who made it, not FUNimation.
I'm sure the reasoning is: No one will get what "Kai" means. Toei probably thought it was the best way to get the point across of what the show actually is.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure that probably is the reason. I'm also sure that Toei probably wanted to add the "Z" in there for the sake of brand recognition. I'm just saying that no Toei official has ever come out directly stated, "This is why we changed the name of the show from 'Dragon Ball Kai' to 'Dragon Ball Z Kai.'" No official reason has been given...but I think the reasons can be pretty easily inferred, and you pointed out one of them.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."