Episode #0283 (01 January 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0283 (01 January 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:01 am

Episode #0283 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
51:59; 96 kbps, mono; 36.0 MB

Episode #0283! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian ring in the new year with a look back at the past twelve months. None of us could have predicted what 2011 would bring us: a music fiasco with "DragonBall Kai", a new Blu-ray transfer from FUNimation, an all-out Bardock media assault, and so much more. How did our predictions from last year turn out in light of all these major stories, and what do we (and you!) think is on tap for 2012? Here's to 14 years of Daizenshuu EX, and another gazillion more with our favorite franchise! Referenced sites:
  • No referenced sites this episode!
Hurray! It's 2012! Man, 2012 really sounds like "the future". It's such a total FUTURE SHOCK!! It's almost like I'm writing a MESSAGE FROM FUTURE.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Episode #0283 (01 January 2012)

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:03 am

VegettoEX wrote:Hurray! It's 2012! Man, 2012 really sounds like "the future". It's such a total FUTURE SHOCK!! It's almost like I'm writing a MESSAGE FROM FUTURE.
*groan*
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:44 pm

I love these prediction podcasts. My predictions for last year were mostly wrong. I hope you get better soon Mike (if you haven't already) and I got to get cracking on watching those GT episodes this week.

My predictions from last year:
Predictions

1. Dragon Ball Kai is going to end after the Cell Games.

2. Viz will not release the Kanzenban.

3. Dragon Ball Raging Blast 3 will be released in November and end the Raging Blast series of games. It will have all of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT stories (in the story mode).

4. The 7th Dragon Box will be released around September to November of 2011.

5. The Ocean Dub of Dragon Ball Kai will air sometime in 2011 on YTV in Canada.

5. The Dragon Box Movies will be announced.

6. There will be an upset by old dub DBZ fans when Daemon Clark doesn't return as Cell in Dragon Ball (Z) Kai.
My predictions for this year from the General Franchise Discussions area:
My predictions for last year were terrible but I will try again this year.

1) The Dragon Ball Kai Ocean Dub will finally be aired on TV sometime in 2012 (hopefully).
2) Another Dragon Ball Z game will be released on the PS3 and Xbox 360 (and maybe the Wii U) in October or November
3) Dragon Ball Z The Movies Dragon Box is released.
4) The Bardock Special will be just a one episode special.
5) Viz will still not release the Kazenban.
6) Once Nicktoons is done with Dragon Ball GT they will either air the Buu saga or the original Dragon Ball anime.
7) Funimation will begin releasing the Blu-ray sets in full levels i.e. Level 1, Level 2 etc. near the end of 2012.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Meri cursed Kai!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Hayami's first name is Shou. :P I do agree, though, that it's a shame Toei called Miura back instead of Hayami. Although, it's probably cheaper and impolite to return to Hayami after using Miura so much.

On Bardock, I don't know if I'd say he's not suppose to be 'special'. After all, throughout pretty much the entirety of the special has Bardock running around as the strongest Saiyan alive, or at least more so than the King. I suppose in the shadow of Freeza he isn't anything special, but Bardock's huge surge in power certainly does elevate him to a level of potential left nipped in the bud.

I loved Oonishi Ryou and the other key animators' work. I hope more of these specials are made!

EDIT: Oh crap. I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread. >_<
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowDude112
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by ShadowDude112 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:08 pm

My predictions of last year!
ShadowDude112 wrote:Predictions:
1. FUNimation will finish the Dragon Boxes.
2. No Kanzenban from Viz.
3. Dragon Box the Movies will be announced.
4. Hopefully get the Jump Special from FUNimation.
5. Kai won't end when Cell dies. (Remember that whole "It'll end on Freeza" thing?)
6. The English release of Kai will get into the Artifical Humans/Cell arc.
7. We will get Ultimate Butoden in America and Europe.
8. Zenkai Battle Royal will get ported to a home console.
9. Raging Blast 3 will be announced.
1,2,6, and kinda 9 were right. 9 was kinda right since it was another Spike game. Just not Raging Blast 3. YES THIS COUNTS! Not really.

I don't really have any predictions of this year other than getting DBox the movies and that's it, really. One prediction is better than none, I guess.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Heres my left field prediction: we will get an new manga/anime [like how Bardock got] got for King Piccolo/Kami of the Earth.

DIdn't he get something like that manga wise along side a Trunks and Vegeta story?

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:40 pm

You guys were right regarding seiyuu deaths. Looking over the In Memoriam article on ANN, there were only 2 deaths in 2011, which were Junpei Takiguchi in August (Uranai Baba, Saichoro, Polunga), and Ken Yamaguchi in October (Si Xing Long, Blueberry, Raspberry, Ebifurya). Definitely a pretty good year regarding that.

On a lighter note, I enjoyed this podcast. I've always liked these prediction podcasts. I have to agree with your overall outlook on 2012 in that not much is going to happen for the franchise. I also don't think there will be any specials/movies/animations this year. Since Kai is over, I think the franchise is going to take a backseat for a while to other franchises until maybe a major anniversary in the future. 2014 might be that year since that will be the 30th anniversary of Dragon Ball.

Also, I think there will be at least 1 video game this year, which will most likely be another game by Spike (which I will most likely end up not buying).

That's my semi-predictions for 2012. :P

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:12 pm

My predictions:
-There will be a significant change in the main Dragon Ball console game next year in terms of gameplay. Sale numbers will still continue to get lower.
- Funimation will acknowledge 'Episode of Bardock' and the 'Dragon Ball SSSS' project but won't put out anything
- Funimation will make another big announcement regarding Dragon Ball and something fans have been desperately wanting. (Jump Anime Tour Special? Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans? Dragon Box: The Movies? etc.)
- VIZ still won't be doing anything with Dragon Ball. (Perhaps 'Episode of Bardock' in 2013?)
- Nicktoons will continue to pick up more Dragon Ball material.
- The Z Kai 'Part' home releases will be finished (before July?).
- Z Blu-Rays and Kai Season Sets will both continue to be put out.
- More new animation from Japan.
- Dragon Ball game put out for the Playstation Vita.
- 'Episode of Bardock' Tankoubon for Japan.
- Dragon Ball franchise in Japan still refuses to die. ("There is nothing we can't live through. Nothing ever dies; we will rise agaiiiinn! :lol:

And finally, my "want" rather than my realistic prediction:
- Zenkai Battle Royale put out on the PS3 and Xbox 360.......please!

Big year for not only Dragon Ball, but the podcast as well with Episode 291 and 300 on the horizon! I look forward to tackling this year with as much enthusiasm as Goku! :lol:

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:07 am

Great Episode! Hope you get to feeling better VegettoEX

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:22 am

My 2011 predictions:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Viz/Shueshia
- More chapters to be released on the iOS application. Correct
- Will start a web portal either by itself, or with the support of the manga industry. Dragon Ball will be there.
- In tandem with a domestic release of the 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour Special, Viz will serialize the two chapter Naho Ooishi adaptation in domestic Shonen Jump.
- Dragon Ball SD will either be released on the web portal, or have a brief stint in domestic Jump.
- There will be at least one other chapter of Dragon Ball SD released. Correct

Funimation
- To be sold from Navarre, no affect on the Dragon Ball franchise to be seen. Correct
- To release the 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour Special in a double feature with Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans.
- Kai's domestic DVD and Blu-Ray release to continue. Correct
- Kai's television run on Nicktoons and Toonzai to continue. Half-Correct: The show concluded on Nicktoons, but is still airing on Toonzai.
- DragonBox: The Movies to be announced.
- DragonBox Z to have been fully released. Correct

Namco Bandai
- To lose money once again. Will cite declining sales of Dragon Ball franchise in Japan, but praise foreign sales. Correct: Okay, maybe not true (didn't list Dragon Ball), but I'll give myself this one.
- To announce the first 3DS game to be a port of either The Revenge of King Piccolo, or Tenkaichi Tag Team.
- To announce in late 2011 a port of Zenkai Battle Royale exclusively for the PS3.
- New console game to be announced. I won't comment on if I think it'll be Raging Blast 3, Burst Limit 2, or something new. Correct
- A sequel to Monolithsoft's RPG will be announced, but not released.
- Bandai USA will begin releasing Dragon Ball toys in the US once again, but won't be localizing all the games.Correct: Though, Bandai USA didn't release their own toys, but imported Japanese figures with Blue fin.

Toei
- Dragon Ball Kai to conclude this year. Correct
- Dragon Ball Kai won't be cancelled, rather, it will have a timeslot change and have a natural ending.
- To sell Dragon Ball Kai to even more nations around the world... Correct
- Where an alternate English dub produced by Ocean Studios in Vancouver, Canada will appear.
- New Dragon Ball project to be teased with at the end of Kai's run.Correct: I'll give myself Episode of Bardock
Not sure I want to do 2012 predictions with that batting average...

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:27 am

I just wanted to point out that Meri's "all-in" prediction for 2012 of no new Dragon Ball games is already wrong :P Tony "what's-his-face" from Namco Bandai has already stated that a new game is already in production and that it will be geared toward a more "hardcore" audience...whatever that means nowadays lol.

First year making predictions, so I can't wait to laugh at how wrong mine all were by December :lol:

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:58 am

My "wishful thinking" for 2012 would be for Viz to release more Toriyama manga! As you've said on the podcast, it seems like Neko Majin is a no brainer since it can be tied in with Dragon Ball! Personally, I'd flip out if Viz announced that they were doing the Toriyama Theater books (including Dragon Boy! Not straying off-topic here! :P )

Still, with Shonen Jump Alpha, and more digital releases reducing the financial risk of printing, some of these translations might be possible! I could see Episode of Bardock making its way into SJ Alpha...

P.S. I watched GT episodes 6 and 7 tonight. This early stuff isn't brilliant, but I like it better than where the series heads. Still, I'm looking forward to forcing myself to finish the series. I think 'Majuub' is where I finally threw up my hands and gave up last time I tried.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:10 am

If I tried to make realistic predictions, they'd probably end up being boring and wrong... so instead, I'm going to make the most ridiculous predictions possible.
  • Namco-Bandai announces its long-awaited collaboration with Capcom on a new Dragon Ball game. A trailer is released that wows everyone from hardcore fighting game enthusiasts to Dragon Ball haters, but when the game is released after several delays, it somehow ends up being worse than Final Bout.
  • Dragon Ball GT is a surprise hit among Nicktoons viewers. For some reason, Kuririn's appearance in episode 64 is redubbed. Fans proceed to buy the GT season sets, and DaizEX sees a sudden influx of people complaining about the "gay" theme song.
  • After the end of its GT broadcast, Nicktoons will begin airing One Piece. FUNimation's release of "new" episodes is put on hold so they can redub everything to be censored again. FUNimation also offers the show to the CW4Kids, but they're not amused.
  • Inspired by this, Jeff deals with his withdrawal symptoms after the end of the "GT Review of Awesomeness" by joining the cast of the One Piece podcast every month.
  • FUNimation re-releases the movies again, but now with only three movies per pack and two for the last two packs. Movie 2 is accidentally released without sound effects.
  • Kai Part 7 will inexplicably be released with the Yamamoto score.
  • In an interview with Pink Floyd's Roger Waters, it's revealed that he inadvertently caused the Kai music scandal after coming across Cell's theme from Super Butouden 2. He does note that he's still more annoyed by the time Andrew Lloyd Webber ripped off "Echoes" for Phantom of the Opera.
  • After spending a day browsing YouTube, Akira Toriyama is under the impression that Dragon Ball Hoshi is a new project by Toei. He later mentions this in an interview, and also forgets who Bulma is.
  • Hironobu Kageyama's new album includes no fewer than five new versions of "CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA."
  • Toriko continues to pull in ratings for Toei, despite the fact that nobody seems to know anyone who actually watches the show.
  • Chris Sabat is arrested for trying to crush a fan's head in his hand after being asked to say "over 9000" one too many times. However, he is released after the fan declines to press charges in favour of writing on their blog about it.
  • Dragon Ball Z Kai finally makes its debut in the Netherlands. Everyone is voiced by Misty from Pokémon, and the show is pulled after two episodes for being too violent.
  • Finally, Toei continues to promote new additions to Dragon Ball Heroes with short animations, including the critically-acclaimed Episode of Appule.
Whew!

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:12 pm

ThunderPX wrote:If I tried to make realistic predictions, they'd probably end up being boring and wrong... so instead, I'm going to make the most ridiculous predictions possible.

*snip*

Whew!
Those were awesome and hilarious predictions.

I finished about an hour ago watching all of the episodes for next weeks Dragon Ball GT Review of Awesomeness. It was tough to get through some of the first couple of episodes but things began to pick up in the last few. I got my notes all written up on the episodes so I don't forget my thoughts on each episode (like last time).