Episode #0288 (05 February 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0288 (05 February 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Episode #0288 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
88:05; 96 kbps, mono; 60.8 MB

Episode #0288! VegettoEX and Julian catch up on a thankful lack of news before Herms pops in for a Dr. Slump primer. Who are the characters that show up during the Red Ribbon arc crossover, and is it possible to reconcile some of the plot holes and continuity errors introduced to put Dr. Slump and DragonBall in the same universe? Referenced sites:
N'cha! It's a show about poop!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: Episode #0288 (05 February 2012)

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:01 pm

A thankful of news?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:03 pm

AgitoZ wrote:A thankful of news?
I don't understand. It says "a thankful lack of news". As in, we're glad there's no news this week. 'Cuz shit keeps getting canceled. And shit getting canceled really sucks.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:06 am

Ah, cool topic! It's hilarious to hear you guys trying to force Dr. Slump's universe/continuity into Dragon Ball's. Well done, I think you made it fit together as well as possible! (a little bit of duct tape here and there........) :lol:

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:41 am

Haha. I'm thankful that my donation went to something that wasn't Ultimate Tenkaichi.

Looking forward to the Saikyo Jump review!

And thanks for keeping me in podcast content to listen to while working long nights!

Phred
Beyond Newbie

Post by Phred » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:39 pm

Aw, you didn't even metion that the second Dr. Slump series includes an adaptation of the Dragon Ball crossover as part of its thing.
Part of my own Dragonball inspired perusal into the world of Dr Slump led me to that, but I don't know all the details.

Actually, if viz's manga app thingy has Dr. Slump, I might start reading it like that.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Just listened to this last night, and it was really nice to get to hear more about Dr. Slump, which I really need to finish buying. I've only read the first...3 or 4 volumes I think. The "spoilers" as they were make me really, really interested to get more of it.

And VegettoEX, you're definitely not the only one who loves the taking poops. They're actually kinda...cute? :lol:

There was one part about a Piccolo/Dr. Mashirito (not sure on the spelling of that name) fusion from some game. Where's the picture of that again?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:51 pm

Upper-right corner of the website (he's the one in the middle):

I took a little-shakey-cam video of the fusion that's been up on our Facebook account for a while now, too.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Oh! That bar. :lol: I'd noticed them before, and recognized all the first and second (had to do research on them though), and the fourth and fifth, but somehow I never paid that middle guy much mind. I actually thought it was like...something related to Mr. Satan in some game, or something, what with the fro and what appears to be a cape.

Thanks for the reply.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Ashura wrote:Haha. I'm thankful that my donation went to something that wasn't Ultimate Tenkaichi.

Looking forward to the Saikyo Jump review!
My sentiments exactly!

Funny how Mike said there's no news and then a few days later we get this survey. That will supply some news for the next podcast.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:05 am

Good podcast as usual! I love those bloopers or whatever at the very end, but this one didn't have any. :cry:

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri May 11, 2012 2:51 pm

As part of my Podcast Catch-Up, I've finally reached this episode. I'm glad because I'm finally almost caught up, relatively speaking. For some perspective, when I did the Vegeta episode in March, I remember that I was still in last July of the podcast, eight months behind, so being only three months behind now is quite an accomplishment. Anyway, I just wanted to share my introduction to Dragon Ball/Dr. Slump. As far as I can remember, I was introduced to the concept by good old Curtis Hoffmann and his manga summaries. When I read the summary for the very first volume, the series was introduced by comparing it to its predecessor, Dr. Slump, and how early Dragon Ball was quite similar with the "toilet humor" (which I believe might have been my first exposure to that term) and "characters breaking the fourth wall," so going into Volume 7's summary, I already had a vague idea of what Dr. Slump was. And, of course, in the majority of his summaries, he opened with a list and description of new characters, which, in this case was jam packed. He did give the warning that the characters and situations made much more sense if one was familiar with Dr. Slump, but the fact that he gave quick character blurbs of most of the cast, I felt I didn't go into it completely cold, and I found the whole thing very enjoyable, even only in text format. For years, I wondered what all these people and things looked like, and even though it didn't make much sense to me, I still found it extremely fascinating and wanted to know more.

When Viz released the Dr. Slump manga, I did jump at getting the first couple of volumes, but, sadly, I never continued past there. I do think some of the censorship annoyed me and made me want my first exposure to Dr. Slump to be more pure, but I did enjoy what I read, and I still want to read the whole series at some point.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Mon May 14, 2012 11:00 am

For those who read digital manga, or are just interested in Dr. Slump but don't have the shelf space, Viz has begun releasing Dr. Slump volumes digitally! http://www.vizmanga.com/dr-slump