Image Quality?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Image Quality?

Post by lost in thought » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:53 pm

Okay, to start off, recently [as in the other day] I got a new machine with a DVD RW drive installed, so I decided the first thing to do was put it to good use, so I popped in my disc of Piccolo Jr (part 2), and looked up some information about ripped images off of my DVD's on the AMV.org site. [Note: one guide said that I should use "DVD Decrypt", "AviSynth", and "DGIndex". So I already downloaded and installed them.]

Now that I've established that I've got some seemingly necessary tools, I am going to move on to my question. When I had these programs installed, I decided to follow the instructions and rip some VOB's with DVD Decrypt, so far so good. Once that was done [taking almost an hour for the one disc alone,] I opened one of the VOB files in DGIndex, and saw that I could save individual frames out as a BMP file, which brings me to my question: is saving the frame out through this manner deteriating image quality? [or rather, making the quality any worse than the DVD itself?]

[Note: This doesn't have a lot to do with AMV's per-se', but it is still a technical question I've been pondering.]

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:22 pm

Your quality should be the same as it's shown in the preview window. You can always clean up your footage with AVS scripts, but that's too much of a hassle for me to go in to. :(

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:51 pm

I'd totally not download all of those items separately, and just install the AMVapp by itself. That'll install the latest versions of DGIndex (previously called "DVD2AVI"... a misleading title, which is why it was changed), AVIsynth, VirtualDubMod, and all the cleaning filters you'll ever need.

What you'll mostly want to do, to make things so much easier on yourself, is to inverse-telecine the video via an AVS script (frame-serve the VOBs through AVIsynth to VirtualDub). That'll get rid of all those interlaced frames, so each frame you'd want to take a screen-shot of will be nice and progressive.

Here's an old script we used for Enter the Dragon, which would probably work well for the footage you're looking to use:
VegettoEX's Old DB Script wrote:a = MPEG2Source("C:\your_file.d2v").Crop(8,0,-8,0).ConvertToYV12().Deen("a3d", 3)
lm = a.FluxSmoothST(7, 24).Deen("a2d", 7).Blur(1.5).Blur(1.5)
lm_m = lm.EdgeMask(0, 1, 255, 255, "cartoon", Y=3, V=1,U=1).Binarize(threshold=20).Greyscale().Invert().Blur(1.5).Blur(1.5).Blur(1.5).Blur(1.5)
nlm = MaskedMerge(lm, a, lm_m)
mfToon(nlm).Tweak(sat=1.2, cont=1.1, bright=1.3).AddBorders(8,0,8,0)
This assumes that you have Deen, WarpSharp, MaskTools, FluxSmooth, and mfToon all installed... and I'm pretty sure they are with the AMVapp.

Basically:
  • Rip the VOBs
  • Run the VOBs through DGIndex, saving a project file
  • Make a new text file in Notepad, and save it as whatever.avs (DGIndex might even auto-make one for you)
  • Write some lines/cleaners that point to that *.d2v file that DGIndex makes
  • Open this *.avs file in VirtualDubMod
Another reason I'd suggest taking the screen-caps from VirtualDubMod is because you can go frame-by-frame in there, as opposed to DGIndex that just skips over frames. It wasn't meant to take screen-caps, really. VirtualDubMod is much better.

Alternatively, for a way-crude way to do it, just open up a *.VOB in VirtualDubMod, directly. It'll take a while to parse the MPEG-2 video data, but it'll open it. It won't be any cleaned up at all...

Also, for the record, you can comment things out in an AVS script by putting a # in front of the line. For example:
Random Script wrote:MPEG2Source("C:\your_file.d2v")
ConvertToYV12()
deen("a2d",5,6,7)
#mftoon()
MSharpen(5,20,true,false,false)
tweak(sat=1.1)
mftoon would be ignored. It's a good way to bug-check scripts if they seem to be giving you problems.

I'm guessing none of that makes sense. Heh. Let me know if I can guide ya' any more, though.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:22 pm

Holy shit... I forgot I even posted this... fucking June... damn, huge necropost!

Thanks for your huge, and helpful post though, Mike.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:24 pm

Hahaha... I didn't even notice I was responding to a necro-post... man, that's funny.

/me warns self

/me warns SuperFusion x2
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Hahaha... I didn't even notice I was responding to a necro-post... man, that's funny.

/me warns self

/me warns SuperFusion x2
HAHAHA. Dude, you're so right though about VirtualDubMod, I just installed all of this shit, and 20 seconds loaded up, and looking at the Sparking OP, and I am fucking in love with this program!

edit: I just made a copy of one of the frames from the video, and damn... the quality is great!