Kuririn's daughter ??

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Master_Roshi

Kuririn's daughter ??

Post by Master_Roshi » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:04 pm

I've always asked myself "Where did Marron come from ?"
How can an android (in this case #18) give birth to a little girl ? Could it be that she is adopted and that her real mother is Kuririn's ex (Maron)?; Does any one know ?

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:11 pm

She was more than that, man. Picture a human girl with an amputated leg. She would be able to give birth, and she'd probably be more robot than #18! It was just a bunch of strength enhancements to an already existing person.

If I was Kuririn, I wouldn't risk cheating on 18 with Maron when, you know, it's 18. I don't wanna die!!! (I bet 18 is better anyway)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:02 am

The thought of getting into a conversation over whether Maron or #18 is better at sex is further down the "scary internet forum chat" road than I want to go.

Besides, #18 would obviously be a complete dominatrix who'd only do it when she wants it.

And her bussies aren't as big as Maron's.

Er, where were we again? Oh yeah. I think VegettoEX has this up in his dub error things, but #17 and #18 (and #20) aren't actually Androids. They are more "artificual humans". Mainly organic with mechanical bits added. For some reason, FUNI didn't feel like translating all that out. Possibly because it would deprive them of the opportunity for Vegeta to make various "toaster" puns and have us all LAUGH OURSELVES SILLY!

#16 and #19 are fully robotic though. And Cell starts off mechanical, and ends up organic. I think.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:03 am

Oh no she's Marron's real mother, trust me. As a matter of fact, I believe at the start of the Buu saga, Kuririn tells Goku that she's partially human, does he not? I can't remember now. Anyway, she isn't an android, she's actually a cyborg, she and #17 even mention that they are constructed from a human base when they first find out that #16 is completely robotic. So, she would be physically able to have a child. Anyway, Maron was actually only in the anime as filler, so Toriyama would've had a bit of a problem wouldn't he trying to make Marron's mother out to be someone that never existed in his manga in the first place. :wink:

urhash
Not-So-Newbie

Post by urhash » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:04 am

This reminds me of "Guri" from Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire... the female droid who could prove to be humanlike 'in more ways than one'... or so the author alluded to. He he.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:18 am

Sci-fi authors should be banned from using that phrase. And "fully functional" too. Dirty perverted nerds.

Jerseymilk (Or, er, Amy, if I may call you that): When you mention Kuririn saying to Goku that she was partially human, do you mean in the dub? Because in the original, wasn't it known that they were partially human since the very beginning?

And, y'know, a thought: Was the Maron/Marron thing a coicidence? Or did Toriyama name Kuririn's daughter after a girlfriend he only had in the anime?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:31 am

Psyliam: Ya, you can call me Amy. I think maybe I was thinking of the dub, because I don't seem to remember when it was said in the original, that's probably why. As for it always being known that they were human, I don't think Goku knew that though, and if he did, well you know him, he would forget anyway. :) And for the name similarity, yeah I think he did take the name from Kuririn's anime girlfriend. I wonder if #18 knew where Kuririn got the name? If I knew that my husband named our daughter after his old girlfriend, I'd be a little pissed to say the least.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:03 am

Jerseymilk wrote:And for the name similarity, yeah I think he did take the name from Kuririn's anime girlfriend.
I don't think so... "Maron" was an anime-only character, and one that Toriyama didn't have a hand in designing (some other anime characters in the movies, TV specials, and filler were designed or finalized by him, but she wasn't). I think it's much more likely that he only chose the name because it's French for "chestnut," just like "kuri" is in Japanese. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:03 am

Ahh, but he can get around that by pointing out that there's an extra letter in the name. Therefore they are not related at all! Genius!

Still, it's a bit weird. I mean, does he want his daughter to grow up like Maron?

And call me Liam. Or Lord. One of them.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:05 am

PsyLiam wrote:Ahh, but he can get around that by pointing out that there's an extra letter in the name. Therefore they are not related at all! Genius!
I was going to bring up the filler continuity issues again, but I would like to state for the record that you have a point: the names are spelled differently, even in the Japanese version. However, instead of being "Maron" vs. "Marron," it's "Maron" (the girlfriend) vs. "Maaron" (the daughter). :?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:32 am

So then, you're saying SaiyaJedi that it was coincidental that they happen to have similar names?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:32 am

Crazy.

And yeah, the Maron stuff is obviously filler. But it seems strange that Toriyama chose to pluck Kuririn's daughter's name from there. Unless it really was just a big coicidence.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:37 am

Wah? I never knew Marron (the daughter) was an anime only. That really makes you think though...If Toriyama didn't create her, or have any part in her design, does that mean in his mind she couldn't have children? After all, she and Kuririn are together for 17 years by the end of DBZ, and he never gave them any children?

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:00 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Wah? I never knew Marron (the daughter) was an anime only.
No, no, the other one. :?

See, this is why you're supposed to give characters different-sounding names... otherwise, this happens.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:07 am

Ooooooh That Marron.

Yeah, I knew Kuririn's girlfriend was just an anime filler (a very good one at that). I think I got the conversation a bit mixed up.

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:20 am

Something that was mentioned in this thread has confused me somewhat concerning #20.

Isn't the body of #20 just a robotic shell (like 16 and 19) that Dr. Gero modeled after himself with his brain placed inside?
That was the impression I always got rather than him being a cyborg in the sense that 17 and 18 are. This also seems apparent from his death.

Also, in my subtitled Buu tapes, I do remember Goku asking Kururin how he was able to have a daughter, to which of course Kururin had to explain that 18 (god I wish she had gotten a real name at by this point somehow) wasn't like a complete robot, so if the dub mentioned this I don't think they were too far from the original.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:54 am

SonGohan-san wrote:Something that was mentioned in this thread has confused me somewhat concerning #20.

Isn't the body of #20 just a robotic shell (like 16 and 19) that Dr. Gero modeled after himself with his brain placed inside?
That was the impression I always got rather than him being a cyborg in the sense that 17 and 18 are. This also seems apparent from his death.

Also, in my subtitled Buu tapes, I do remember Goku asking Kururin how he was able to have a daughter, to which of course Kururin had to explain that 18 (god I wish she had gotten a real name at by this point somehow) wasn't like a complete robot, so if the dub mentioned this I don't think they were too far from the original.
Your right I believe, the only organic part about #20 is his brain, since he and #19 seem to be almost the exact same model save for a few differences, completly different from #'s 17&18.

As I remember in the dub, Funimation finally gets it right, and has Kuririn explain that #18 was originally human and that Dr. Gero had just augmented her with cyborgnetic components. But up until that point they acted like #18 was just a machine.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:49 am

Yeah... early on, she even talked like one.

Damn it... all this conversation is making me want to watch Fullmetal Alchemist.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:56 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote: Your right I believe, the only organic part about #20 is his brain, since he and #19 seem to be almost the exact same model save for a few differences, completly different from #'s 17&18.
Not to mention if would be very difficult indeed to make cybernetical improvements to your own body.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:58 pm

Yes Dr. Gero built a robot body for himself and then had #19 place his brain in it. This fact is revealed in his conversation with #17 and #18 in the Japanese version when he wakes them up. And as to #18 getting a name, I remember in the Buu saga during the tournament's lot draw, the announcer asks her what the rest of her name is when she is called up to draw her number. She says simply that it's #18, there's nothing else. Also guys, don't forget, it's possible that since #17 and #18 were kidnapped, altered, and had a lot of their memories of their past lives erased, it's possible that included their real names too. So, all she knows now is that she's #18.