Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:11 am

Attitudefan wrote:Mine's: Yamcha is helluva lot stronger than Kurillin. He could easily wipe the floor with Krillin using his Sokidan.
Hmm. To me, it's always seemed the series has shown that Yamucha was, at best, just about equal to Kuririn but usually just below. But I am a huge Yamucha fan, so I'd love for you to elaborate on that. Do you mean just with the Sokidan, or in general?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:14 am

Heh, Yamcha being equal. That's cute.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:24 am

I don't know who this Yamcha is but it sounds disappointing.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:50 am

You kind of need to specify which incarnation of Yamcha you're talking about, though. Or do you think he was stronger than Kuririn at all times in the series. Maybe at the beginning of the series, but after that, all the statements, Yamcha and Kuririn's respective performances against Roushi at the 21st TB, early Saiyan arc Yamcha's BP of 177 against Kuririn's 206...that's pretty conclusive evidence, if you ask me.

You might have a case if you said that Yamcha was stronger than Kuririn post-Saiyan arc, even though nothing suggests that.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:22 pm

During the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, Yamcha went toe to toe with Ten and they were fairly even (we do know that Ten was holding back but it could not have been that much). Krillin was shocked to how much stronger Yamcha got.

Again, his Sokidan surprised everyone. Krillin may be able to float but he wasn't incredibly strong to the point where he hurt Piccolo. Yamcha did hit Kami right in the face pretty damn hard! Krillin's got nothing on that.

Yamcha was caught by surprise from the Saibaman and I'm sure he could've defeated the rest easily. He was about equal to Krillin.

Yamcha trained with Kaio-sama. Krillin may have gotten his hidden potential unlocked, but Yamcha was training on gravity that was heavier than earth's by what? 10x? Krillin didn't get that luxery and could not have gotten stronger after Namek. Yamcha was on Kaio's planet that whole time training!

Then there's filler where Yamcha beat Krillin in a small sparing contest. He also beat the Ginyu's!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Attitudefan wrote:During the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, Yamcha went toe to toe with Ten and they were fairly even (we do know that Ten was holding back but it could not have been that much). Krillin was shocked to how much stronger Yamcha got.
He got completely thrashed by the holding back Ten, who was able to deflect his Kamehameha with ease and effortlessly counter his attacks.
Attitudefan wrote:Again, his Sokidan surprised everyone. Krillin may be able to float but he wasn't incredibly strong to the point where he hurt Piccolo. Yamcha did hit Kami right in the face pretty damn hard! Krillin's got nothing on that.
Kurilin also surprised Piccolo Jr with his own techniques, and we know Piccolo Jr is a lot stronger than Kami. He impressed everyone there, Yamcha... not so much. And the Sokidan has got nothing on the Kienzan.
Attitudefan wrote:Yamcha was caught by surprise from the Saibaman and I'm sure he could've defeated the rest easily. He was about equal to Krillin.
Kurilin defeated all the Saibaimen in a single attack. Yamcha hasn't shown any kind of technique that could do that. The official power levels for those two were 1770 and 1480 respectively, quite a noticeable gap.
Attitudefan wrote:Yamcha trained with Kaio-sama. Krillin may have gotten his hidden potential unlocked, but Yamcha was training on gravity that was heavier than earth's by what? 10x? Krillin didn't get that luxery and could not have gotten stronger after Namek. Yamcha was on Kaio's planet that whole time training!
That's underestimating the hidden potential unlocking. Kurilin's power sky-rocketed to over 10,000 (more than 5x his Saiyan arc battle power) and he was later confused for Zarbon based on the size of his ki (who was 20,000+) by Vegeta and also capable of tangling with Ginyu!Goku at 23,000. Vegeta states his powers have been steadily rising the whole time, and an official guide puts Kurilin at 75,000 because of this! We don't know if the unlocking raised his potential more than that, but he's already got a massive lead on Yamcha.
Attitudefan wrote:Then there's filler where Yamcha beat Krillin in a small sparing contest. He also beat the Ginyu's!
Yeah that's... filler. In filler, Kurilin fought Imperfect Cell. :wink:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:11 pm

Attitudefan wrote:During the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, Yamcha went toe to toe with Ten and they were fairly even (we do know that Ten was holding back but it could not have been that much). Krillin was shocked to how much stronger Yamcha got.
Kuririn may have been surprised by how much stronger Yamcha had gotten, but he also says the two of them are "about the same" at that time.
Chapter: 122, P13.3-7
Kame-sennin: “Panput was truly a fearsomely skilled master, but only when seen from an ordinary level…To your eyes, however, he didn’t look like anything special…That shows just how much you two have acquired strength that surpasses the ordinary.”
Kuririn: “But…Yamcha lost, and he was about as good as me. And even I had a really tough fight against that runt.”
Kame-sennin: “There’s no helping that. It’s because your opponents were also super masters who have surpassed the ordinary.”
Yamcha trained with Kaio-sama. Krillin may have gotten his hidden potential unlocked, but Yamcha was training on gravity that was heavier than earth's by what? 10x? Krillin didn't get that luxery and could not have gotten stronger after Namek. Yamcha was on Kaio's planet that whole time training!
He spent less time with Kaio than Goku did. Even if we're generous and assume he got as much stronger as Goku did, that still wouldn't be enough for him to beat any of the Ginyu Force...except maybe Gurd. Of course, it's possible that Yamcha got even stronger than Goku did, much like with Kami's training; but the point is that just training with Kaio for 136 days isn't a guarantee of anything.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Even if you could argue that Yamcha is stronger then Krillin(which I disagree with), Krillin is still the bigger man. Through thick and thin, Krillin stood by Goku's side all the way to the end. Yamcha called it quits the second he went toe to toe with the Androids. Hell I'd argue Krillin is one of the bravest fighters in the whole series.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Now that I have to disagree with. Yamucha didn't have much of an active fighting role after that, but he didn't just run off. He took Goku home and stayed with him to combat his heart virus. Not sure how much more "sticking by Goku's side" you can get than that. And then he ferried everyone to different Cell locations. And he also showed up to the Cell Games and fought there. That's really about on par with Kuririn's role: active support. And if you really want to hone in on either of the two ducking out, let's not forget Kuririn's cunning strategy of "standing paralyzed with fear while two Artificial Humans beat the crap out of my comrades."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:And if you really want to hone in on either of the two ducking out, let's not forget Kuririn's cunning strategy of "standing paralyzed with fear while two Artificial Humans beat the crap out of my comrades."
This always ticked me off, no matter what came of the relationship between 18 and Kuririn later on. How much of a damn virgin-shut, horned-up for your entire life do you have to be to act like Kuririn in that kind of situation? From a KISS? A KISS? What kind of writing is that?

Both Goku and Vegeta tagged some, and Yamucha would bang anything, really, so what's the deal with Kuririn? Again, just terrible.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:01 pm

OzzyApu wrote:and Yamucha would bang anything, really.
Granted, this supposed character trait comes from a woman who, while she was dating Yamucha, tried to dry-hump a man who was attempting to kill her. Yet we never saw Yamucha behave in any similar way...

(Sorry, the whole "Yamucha is a playboy" thing is an idea so far out of left field with no in-story evidence to support it that it makes me roll my eyes. It drove me crazy how many times the Dragon Books brought it up when we never ONCE see Yamucha even attempt to interact romantically with another woman besides Blooma.)

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:06 pm

OzzyApu wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:And if you really want to hone in on either of the two ducking out, let's not forget Kuririn's cunning strategy of "standing paralyzed with fear while two Artificial Humans beat the crap out of my comrades."
This always ticked me off, no matter what came of the relationship between 18 and Kuririn later on. How much of a damn virgin-shut, horned-up for your entire life do you have to be to act like Kuririn in that kind of situation? From a KISS? A KISS? What kind of writing is that?

Both Goku and Vegeta tagged some, and Yamucha would bang anything, really, so what's the deal with Kuririn? Again, just terrible.
Well, I imagine it would be hard to just kill someone who showed him mercy like that. Especially for a former monk.
But then again all Oorin monks we saw were dicks.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Granted, this supposed character trait comes from a woman who, while she was dating Yamucha, tried to dry-hump a man who was attempting to kill her. Yet we never saw Yamucha behave in any similar way...

(Sorry, the whole "Yamucha is a playboy" thing is an idea so far out of left field with no in-story evidence to support it that it makes me roll my eyes. It drove me crazy how many times the Dragon Books brought it up when we never ONCE see Yamucha even attempt to interact romantically with another woman besides Blooma.)
I mean it respectfully. I know Yamucha was more faithful than most peopel give him credit for, but to me it's almost as if anything's open for him. I have no evidence for this, though, except maybe the hentai I've seen. :|

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:23 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:

It comes from Trunks, actually. I'd say he's more trustworthy.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Saiga wrote:It comes from Trunks, actually. I'd say he's more trustworthy.
Who got the info from his mom. He was never old enough to actually have a conversation with Yamucha, really.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:44 pm

Saiga wrote:It comes from Trunks, actually. I'd say he's more trustworthy.
Trunks is a fine, upstanding young man, and I doubt he'd ever lie. But there's one little problem... he didn't exist to witness the events! So as a source in this scenario, he's actually pretty useless.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:57 pm

OzzyApu wrote:

Well here's another possibly unpopular opinion of mine.

All the canon DB couples are terrible.

I find Krillin/18 sweet and all but as you said, a single kiss was all their relationship was based on.

Of course Goku/Chi-Chi was even worse. I kinda doubt Goku even understood romantic love when he got with her.

So Krillin/18 is an improvement I guess?

And so this post isn't just negativity, my other opinion is that Goku/Bulma should have happened.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:30 am

OzzyApu wrote:
[/quote]
Eh? But the kiss was after he stood there and did nothing. Or are you talking about how he didn't kill #18 when he had the chance?

And to be fair, if Kuririn had jumped in and gotten slaughtered with the rest of them, there'd be no one left to hand out senzu beans. I'm not sure that's what was going through his head at the time--probably not, I suppose--but it was kind of lucky in the long run.
Nikkolas wrote:I find Krillin/18 sweet and all but as you said, a single kiss was all their relationship was based on.
I think the relationship itself was more based on Kuririn sparing her life and then removing her bomb. You could argue that those actions happened because of that kiss, I guess, but...I'm not sure I think that's as bad as a lot of people seem to. Maybe that's an unpopular opinion from me!
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:34 am

Buu arc is my favorite arc and as a result Majin Buu and his various forms are/is my favorite character(s).

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:36 am

OzzyApu wrote:
Conveniently ignoring the paralyzing fear of watching them demolish two Super Sayains. By the time the kiss happened Krillin was already kind of past the point of no return.

Yamcha does get the support award too, Krillin has the extra points of being present in the Freeza fight and being a Toei filler favorite.
Nikkolas wrote: And so this post isn't just negativity, my other opinion is that Goku/Bulma should have happened.
Torn. On one hand it's adorable because Bulma is right up there with Krillin as far as who "gets" Goku, but she's also the first to call adult Goku out on his shit, even if he doesn't listen.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada