Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:50 am

I think the franchise would've been better off if it didn't continue past the original manga and its 2 anime adaptions. I'm not talking financially, but quality wise. GT was a boring mess. Modern DB's writing and production are all over the place with too much reliance on nostalgia.
That's not to say nothing good has come of extending the franchise, I just don't think they've done enough to justify extending it past its original lifespan. I do think however that the BOG movie is an exception to this, but that's just one piece in a larger puzzle of average to bad content.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 am

ABED wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:14 pm
Noah wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:50 pm As much as people say Boo arc is terrible due to its changes as the story progresses I think it still feels pretty organic to me, instead of a arc that would have this one antagonist that would be defeated by this only protagonist all going straight.
I enjoy it more than I used to but it's not organic. It's clear Toriyama wanted to push the next generation to the front and changed his mind.
On the other hand I kind of like that after the fake outs with Gotenks and Gohan it doesn’t take yet another super new power up to to take out the big bad this time. No drinking super god water, no turning Super Saiyan for the first time, no Gohan unleashing his hidden powers and ascending to Super Saiyan 2.

If Gohan had defeated Boo after just sitting around while waiting for Old Kaioshin to power him up it would have been a bit lame.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:32 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 amI kind of like that after the fake outs with Gotenks and Gohan it doesn’t take yet another super new power up to to take out the big bad this time.
The Genkidama was way overdue for a winning hit after failing against Vegeta and Freeza so going with that was the right move.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:34 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:32 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 amI kind of like that after the fake outs with Gotenks and Gohan it doesn’t take yet another super new power up to to take out the big bad this time.
The Genkidama was way overdue for a winning hit after failing against Vegeta and Freeza so going with that was the right move.
In the manga canon for sure.

Clearly Toei’s staff felt the same way you did about the Genki Dama given the amount of times it was used as a finishing move in the movies.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:24 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 am
ABED wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:14 pm
Noah wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:50 pm As much as people say Boo arc is terrible due to its changes as the story progresses I think it still feels pretty organic to me, instead of a arc that would have this one antagonist that would be defeated by this only protagonist all going straight.
I enjoy it more than I used to but it's not organic. It's clear Toriyama wanted to push the next generation to the front and changed his mind.
On the other hand I kind of like that after the fake outs with Gotenks and Gohan it doesn’t take yet another super new power up to to take out the big bad this time. No drinking super god water, no turning Super Saiyan for the first time, no Gohan unleashing his hidden powers and ascending to Super Saiyan 2.

If Gohan had defeated Boo after just sitting around while waiting for Old Kaioshin to power him up it would have been a bit lame.
Agreed, which is one reason I like it, but thematically, it doesn't pay off the rest of the arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:38 am

Unpopular opinion Sabat’s best voices are his more minor roles. His Yamcha sounds significantly better than his Piccolo and Vegeta. (Though I do like his 2003 and beyond Piccolo and can tolerate his Vegeta) his Colonel Silver was also really cool. Not nearly as badass as the Japanese voice but still well done.

I really don’t care much for Bardock’s tv special. It’s just kind of boring. I actually kind of preferred “Planet Vegeta’s final days” in the Super Broli movie despite how superfluous that stuff was. I also don’t think Nozawa should have voiced Bardock. He looks like Goku and he’s Goku’s dad but he’s nothing like Goku. At least Nozawa voicing an adult Gohan as “Goku but smart” made sense.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:09 pm

I agree with that by and large, but I genuinely like his Piccolo and Vegeta ever since Kai. His performance has come a long way and losing most of Piccolo's gravel has done wonders.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:14 pm

my main issue with sabat is that i just don't think he's a very good actor. he's obviously improved but i don't know, he's still kinda lacking. i also really dislike his vegeta, and don't think it's a fitting voice, like at all.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:14 pm my main issue with sabat is that i just don't think he's a very good actor. he's obviously improved but i don't know, he's still kinda lacking. i also really dislike his vegeta, and don't think it's a fitting voice, like at all.
I think the only thing Sabat’s Vegeta had going for him is nostalgia/familiarity. If someone else had been voicing Vegeta for years and then Sabat came out with his Vegeta circa Kai/Super I don’t think it would be well received it would be “wtf why does Vegeta sound like he’s about to hack up a lung from smoking too many cigarettes?”

And yeah he’s not a very good actor, but he’s made strides since 1999. Of course when you’ve been doing this for two decades you’d have to show improvement at some point and it really did take to about Dragon Ball for Sabat to stop sucking and even then his King Piccolo is just him doing his Vegeta voice with little alteration.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:35 pm

I'm more than find with the raspy voice. It feels fitting. Sabat's Piccolo is really his voice but pitched down a little. He does a good job with Vegeta, especially when he's playing up his arrogance and entitled brattiness.

I think his King Piccolo voice is his old Piccolo voice but even more gravelly and deeper. I don't like it at all. It makes me appreciate Takeshi Aono that much more. His ability to go from sounding like a frail, but frightening old man, to younger and more energetic sounding is incredible.
i also really dislike his vegeta, and don't think it's a fitting voice, like at all.
I do. I buy that voice coming out of someone who looks like that. Horikawa is the master, of course. That's not in doubt, but there's more than one fitting voice for these characters.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:49 pm

I can't imagine anyone other than Sabat voicing Piccolo and Vegeta to be honest. That's not to say no one else could do it, I'm just so used to him and the other Funi cast that adjusting would be difficult.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:41 pm

I still miss Scott McNeil's Piccolo. He managed to add such a menacing undertone to everything that really sold me on the idea that while Piccolo is with these guys, he's not one of these guys. Sabat's Piccolo sounds too much like he's just another of Earth's warrior instead of someone thrust into that role largely against their will.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:35 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:49 pm I can't imagine anyone other than Sabat voicing Piccolo and Vegeta to be honest.
Watch the original Funi in-house dub of season 3 listen to Sabat’s Piccolo and Vegeta and imagine they didn’t suck and weren’t voiced by a hobo being paid in cigarettes. That’s what Drummond’s Vegeta and Mcneil’s Piccolo are like.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:46 pm

At least Scott McNeil's Piccolo tries to sound like an evil person while Sabat's Piccolo didn't sound like an evil alien to me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:48 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:35 pmWatch the original Funi in-house dub of season 3...
I'm still trying to forget about it. I do agree that he was terrible in that, but so was a lot of the cast. Thankfully they were given another chance on Kai.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:32 pm

I'll take Sabat's original Season 3 Vegeta over the Remastered era any day.

I wish Sabat had used something closer to his "Kami" voice when doing "King Piccolo", instead of just a variation of his Piccolo.

The Boo arc really turns south once Super Boo appears and mostly don't recover until Chibi Boo. The nonsense up at the temple with Gotenks along with the entirety of Vegetto is possibly the lowest of lows in all of Dragon Ball.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:11 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:41 pm I still miss Scott McNeil's Piccolo. He managed to add such a menacing undertone to everything that really sold me on the idea that while Piccolo is with these guys, he's not one of these guys. Sabat's Piccolo sounds too much like he's just another of Earth's warrior instead of someone thrust into that role largely against their will.
To be fair, after the Saiyan arc, Piccolo basically was just another one of Earth’s warriors. He had a much easier time adapting to being one of the good guys compared to Vegeta.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:14 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:11 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:41 pm I still miss Scott McNeil's Piccolo. He managed to add such a menacing undertone to everything that really sold me on the idea that while Piccolo is with these guys, he's not one of these guys. Sabat's Piccolo sounds too much like he's just another of Earth's warrior instead of someone thrust into that role largely against their will.
To be fair, after the Saiyan arc, Piccolo basically was just another one of Earth’s warriors. He had a much easier time adapting to being one of the good guys compared to Vegeta.
I'm with youtuber MistaireFusion on Cell Arc Piccolo. He's basically just Kami wearing a Piccolo suit except he still likes Gohan for some reason.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:39 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:14 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:11 pm
I'm with youtuber MistaireFusion on Cell Arc Piccolo. He's basically just Kami wearing a Piccolo suit except he still likes Gohan for some reason.
Because Piccolo and Kami are one being.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:06 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:39 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:14 pm I'm with youtuber MistaireFusion on Cell Arc Piccolo. He's basically just Kami wearing a Piccolo suit except he still likes Gohan for some reason.
Because Piccolo and Kami are one being.
Yeah. They literally refuse into one being, with Piccolo absorbing Kami into him. Why WOULDN'T Kami's personality influence Piccolo's?
As for him liking Gohan, what? Why wouldn't he still like Gohan? He trained him for a year & fought beside him. I'm not getting that complaint.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs