Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:38 pm

I must be the ONLY one who is NOT in love with My Hero Academia's pace. I saw it and I hated how much stuff is crammed into one episode. Even the better episode I loved to see had that problem. Like the episode where Endevour's Family comes to support him in the hospital was ruined by a mood whiplash of humor that I assumed did NOT happen in the manga because they crammed too many chapters into the episode and a "funny" scene towards the end, which I assume wasnt a problem in the manga because there were chapters separating these scenes in the manga but not in the anime.

However, I DO want seasonal for better animation and treatment of the animators.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:17 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:47 pmI think all anime based on manga should go seasonal, ngl. Less filler, better animation quality, & other things. Naruto & Bleach at least do filler arcs rather than added filler to canon stuff most of the time. There's also guides so you can skip those arcs & just stick with the main episodes, which I very much recommend looking up. because the filler for those shows can be PAINFULLY dull. Studio Periot can produce great things, but their writing quality for filler is less than stellar.
I did check some filler guides but there still seemed to be a lot of filler in "canon" episodes. I would definitely recommend the Kai recuts of Bleach and Naruto to newer fans. Each episode is more like a movie and covers about a volume of their mangas. I don't mind some filler if it's a short side story or more comedic slice of life episode but those older anime had a lot of extended flashbacks, recaps, and stretching out scenes. At the time they were probably useful for the fans who watched over the course of several years to refresh their memory but not necessary if you're bingewatching.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:56 pm

Dragon Ball Super not always having evil villains is a good thing. It felt refreshing not have Bad Guy A is worse than Bad Buy B and we must stop them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:34 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:56 pm Dragon Ball Super not always having evil villains is a good thing. It felt refreshing not have Bad Guy A is worse than Bad Buy B and we must stop them.
It went into mainly just having antagonists in a battle for survival, where the concepts of good & evil largely go straight out the window.

Chema

Post by Chema » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:20 pm

I think GT Goku is actually cool

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:13 pm

Don't know how unpopular this is, but this for me is always going to be the best Broly design:

乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:20 pm

It's really hard for me to go back to the original Japanese after hearing Kai's dub. If OG DB's dub wasn't so crap, I'd be watching it instead.

Part of the problem with listening to original voice tracks for anime is if you're not a weeb and don't know Japanese, the characters' personalities are really hard to read. The dialogue, particularly for DBZ, seems much more utilitarian in the sub. Characters just seem like they describe what's happening and say what they're going to do in the most generic way possible. I'm sure if you know Japanese and dialects and shit, it seems like it has more "flavor" and sounds more natural, but regardless of quirks leftover from the 90s that'll never go away, I would kill for an OG DB dub that was of Kai's quality.

I also really like the Faulconer score. Sure it plays constantly over every scene, and sure you can see it in a really cynical way that they just didn't want to pay for the original music, but I really dig the style it goes for. With a proper edit, it could stand beside Kikuchi's score just like Yamamoto's does.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:43 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:20 pm

I also really like the Faulconer score. Sure it plays constantly over every scene, and sure you can see it in a really cynical way that they just didn't want to pay for the original music,
It's less they didn't want to pay for the original music(which they clearly had the rights too or else they wouldn't be able to sell dvds with the Japanese audio) and more they wanted to profit off their own score. More power to anyone who enjoys the music but I don't think it's cynical to acknowledge why it exist.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:12 pm

I mean cynical in the sense that it would affect your enjoyment of the music if you knew why it exists. Or cynical in the thought that there was no artistic thought put into it, that it was only intended as a quick buck and not to be anything listenable or of quality.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:47 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:20 pm It's really hard for me to go back to the original Japanese after hearing Kai's dub. If OG DB's dub wasn't so crap, I'd be watching it instead.

Part of the problem with listening to original voice tracks for anime is if you're not a weeb and don't know Japanese, the characters' personalities are really hard to read. The dialogue, particularly for DBZ, seems much more utilitarian in the sub. Characters just seem like they describe what's happening and say what they're going to do in the most generic way possible. I'm sure if you know Japanese and dialects and shit, it seems like it has more "flavor" and sounds more natural, but regardless of quirks leftover from the 90s that'll never go away, I would kill for an OG DB dub that was of Kai's quality.

I also really like the Faulconer score. Sure it plays constantly over every scene, and sure you can see it in a really cynical way that they just didn't want to pay for the original music, but I really dig the style it goes for. With a proper edit, it could stand beside Kikuchi's score just like Yamamoto's does.
But you could tell who the characters are just by the content of their dialog. Goku's ignorance, Bulma's shallowness, Vegeta's arrogance, Gohan's politeness all come through the subtitles.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:53 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:20 pm Part of the problem with listening to original voice tracks for anime is if you're not a weeb and don't know Japanese, the characters' personalities are really hard to read.
I think you're overstating how much of an issue this is and underselling how much of the characters' personalities is communicated in the subs.

Are you going to miss out on certain character intricacies without some knowledge of the language? Sure.

But is that enough of a problem that it renders the characters' general personalities "hard to read"? I really don't think so.

Like, take Freeza. You don't need to understand Japanese to notice that he generally has a calm demeanor that drops when he's pissed off, indicating that he's a "faux affably evil" type of villain.

Future Trunks is another. You don't need to know that he speaks with more standard Japanese to figure out that he's generally nice and polite- it's evident in his general behavior.

Visuals (facial expressions, posture, etc.) and vocal delivery (tone, volume, etc.) can also provide information about the characters when you can't go off of the dialogue. Dialogue is only one element at play (and again, the subs do more to communicate their personalities than you claim).

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:26 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:20 pm Part of the problem with listening to original voice tracks for anime is if you're not a weeb and don't know Japanese, the characters' personalities are really hard to read. The dialogue, particularly for DBZ, seems much more utilitarian in the sub. Characters just seem like they describe what's happening and say what they're going to do in the most generic way possible. I'm sure if you know Japanese and dialects and shit, it seems like it has more "flavor" and sounds more natural, but regardless of quirks leftover from the 90s that'll never go away, I would kill for an OG DB dub that was of Kai's quality.
I'm not sure that this is a rule for much of anything if it's well-done. Certain aspects (tone of voice, temper, laughter, etc) are universal across cultures & languages, others taking more time to get used to how they're said or done in a particular one.
I mean cynical in the sense that it would affect your enjoyment of the music if you knew why it exists. Or cynical in the thought that there was no artistic thought put into it, that it was only intended as a quick buck and not to be anything listenable or of quality.
The clients themselves dropped it for most all their other productions though, so it can be said that they really didn't have a vision for what they wanted to do beyond some juvenile idea of trend chasing (to the point where they allowed literal live-action sitcom material to be used as an OP instrumental).
And for some reason, there's way too many people out there who can't understand why it can't & won't come back.

(It also still only fits a borderline adaptation of a dub with scripts that don't really make sense when taken as a whole, and tons of added dialogue from out of nowhere.)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:36 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:26 pm The clients themselves dropped it for most all their other productions though, so it can be said that they really didn't have a vision for what they wanted to do beyond some juvenile idea of trend chasing (to the point where they allowed literal live-action sitcom material to be used as an OP instrumental).
And for some reason, there's way too many people out there who can't understand why it can't & won't come back.
Right. As much as we associate the Barry Watson era of Funimation as its dark ages even he realized replacing music was too stupid to keep doing. Z and GT are literally the only licenses from Funimation that have replacement music and in the case of GT it was more along the lines of "fans hate GT we need to completely reversion it"

I don't doubt Scott Morgan and Mike Smith and etc had some artistic vision behind the music they were asked to produce but the music exist purely because of commercial reasons that the company later abandoned when they realized it wasnt worth it
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:38 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:47 pmBut you could tell who the characters are just by the content of their dialog. Goku's ignorance, Bulma's shallowness, Vegeta's arrogance, Gohan's politeness all come through the subtitles.
Majin Buu wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:53 pm Are you going to miss out on certain character intricacies without some knowledge of the language? Sure.

But is that enough of a problem that it renders the characters' general personalities "hard to read"? I really don't think so.
I guess what I'm trying to say is their personalities seem one-dimensional in the sub compared to the dub. Overly simplistic and generic. While the dub doesn't rewrite their characters Ted Woolsey-style, at the very least it gives the impression that they have more depth as characters, because they talk more like normal human beings do. I can't quite explain it. You can say "they're supposed to be overly simple and generic" but I would prefer they weren't.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:36 pm
GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:26 pm The clients themselves dropped it for most all their other productions though, so it can be said that they really didn't have a vision for what they wanted to do beyond some juvenile idea of trend chasing (to the point where they allowed literal live-action sitcom material to be used as an OP instrumental).
Right. As much as we associate the Barry Watson era of Funimation as its dark ages even he realized replacing music was too stupid to keep doing. Z and GT are literally the only licenses from Funimation that have replacement music and in the case of GT it was more along the lines of "fans hate GT we need to completely reversion it"
Let people have unpopular opinions without blasting them with reasons why they shouldn't have it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:43 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:38 pm . While the dub doesn't rewrite their characters Ted Woolsey-style, at the very least it gives the impression that they have more depth as characters, because they talk more like normal human beings do. I can't quite explain it.

Because Japanese people don't talk like normal human beings? What does that even mean?

I think language barriers can lose some nuance but like Abed said you can still understand through subtitles that Freeza has a faux air of politeness, that Goku is a bumpkin with no time for proper grammar or manners, etc

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:50 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:36 pm Right. As much as we associate the Barry Watson era of Funimation as its dark ages even he realized replacing music was too stupid to keep doing.
Reading the Nathan Johnson interview posted on Derek Padula's site, it seems to imply that it was a result of the company being acquired by Navarre which brought the whole music replacement thing to a halt (financial concerns).
Z and GT are literally the only licenses from Funimation that have replacement music and in the case of GT it was more along the lines of "fans hate GT we need to completely reversion it"
IMO, the best course of action to take if they didn't place any stock on the material as is was to simply not bring it over (citing less success in general), unless maybe Toei was forcing them to do it too (not sure if that's the case, it could be but I doubt it).

Which brings me to another point: If a show is panned for one reason or another, simply moving on to something else is pretty much the way things are done among audiences (these days at least, but also probably longer in certain spheres).
I don't doubt Scott Morgan and Mike Smith and etc had some artistic vision behind the music they were asked to produce but the music exist purely because of commercial reasons that the company later abandoned when they realized it wasnt worth it
Of course, respect goes to where it is due on the part of the ghostwriter team, and they even had better opinions on what would work where than their clients.
DefinitiveDubs wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:38 pm Let people have unpopular opinions without blasting them with reasons why they shouldn't have it.
If for any reason I'm included in this, let it be known that I had no intention of doing so. It was mainly anything that looked like a general proposition (as I avoided making any personal statements regarding your own individual preferences.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:43 pm
DefinitiveDubs wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:38 pm . While the dub doesn't rewrite their characters Ted Woolsey-style, at the very least it gives the impression that they have more depth as characters, because they talk more like normal human beings do. I can't quite explain it.

Because Japanese people don't talk like normal human beings? What does that even mean?

I think language barriers can lose some nuance but like Abed said you can still understand through subtitles that Freeza has a faux air of politeness, that Goku is a bumpkin with no time for proper grammar or manners, etc
It means subtitles are a literal translation and don't take into account the way someone would normally talk in English. Otherwise they'd be dubtitles. I'm sure it does sound natural if you understand the language, but I don't, so it doesn't to me. I don't know how or why the hell you decided to spin what I said into some kind of racist statement against Japanese people.

The reason dubs are so valuable is for reasons like this. Even with subtitles, there are times where you just can't fathom what's written onscreen coming out of a native English-speaker's mouth. The language and cultural barriers between Japanese and English are just too damn strong for there not be some awkwardness.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:00 pm

No you are not understanding that Subtitles if done properly can also convey the tone and spreaking style of the character. You are right in that Japanese only has politeness levels and they all mean the same in english but these can indeed be properly conveyed via careful translation. Like both Simmons and Clyde Mandelin are careful to ensure Goku's hick speech is kept in actual understandable english. In fact I would say that ITS THE ENGLISH DUB that shaves these unique traits. In the English dub you dont get any sort of IDEA that Goku is suppose to be a hick kinda guy. He speaks the exact same as EVERYONE ELSE.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:01 pm

Lost in Translation concerns are valid and understandable for sure, especially regarding puns (which DB just so happens to be stocked to the gills with), expressions, idioms, phrases, speech patterns, and the like. However, there's only so many of those that can be accounted for before it turns into an entirely different conversation with what dialogue is used.

Aside from those, one could say that acted dialogue that's usually only employed in a fantasy context in any language is far from the norm.
Probably just a matter of finding suitable equivalents for certain expressions within another language's media lexicon.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:11 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:51 pm . I don't know how or why the hell you decided to spin what I said into some kind of racist statement against Japanese people.
, at the very least it gives the impression that they have more depth as characters, because they talk more like normal human beings do
Yeah, it's a mystery