Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:07 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:07 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:34 pm Film and television writers don't write dialogue like how people speak. Nobody does. The dialogue is always stylized in one way or another, and it never matches the more fractured way that people speak in.
To add on to this, the characters of DB (and most other shonen manga) cuss left and right and say extremely weird phrases never used in IRL discourse. You would NEVER hear anyone on the streets of Osaka say “Kisama!” or “Bakana…”, unless they’re otaku themselves.
I did have an epiphany a few years ago that people IRL don’t really talk as seamlessly in casual conversation as film characters. The director can command the best performance from actors, but real humans are still imperfect.
Yup, exactly. I have worked with the public my entire life, and people just...do not speak like they do in film and television. Film and television are designed to have dialogue that is digestable.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:51 am

DefinitiveDubs wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:22 pm If, in some other thread, someone had said "the funimation dub is bad", in those exact words, you just assume it's an opinion and roll on. You don't get onto anyone else's case for statements like that.
For me, a statement like "I don't like Japanese Dragon Ball" that has nothing else to it isn't a statement that's worth engaging with, even though I disagree with that perspective. That's just someone stating their preferences.

If that statement comes with value claims that are presented like objective fact, like "watching anime subbed doesn't work unless you already know Japanese or are a "weeb" "- especially when that claim does not mesh with my own personal experiences (as someone that did not fit those exceptions when I got into Japanese Dragon Ball) and those of other people, then that's something I'm more likely to respond to.

Why am I the one specifically getting in trouble for not putting the words "in my opinion" on everything I say? It's because I said something controversial. If I said something a large portion of the forum agreed with, even if it was worded "like it was objective fact" it wouldn't be a problem. But because I said something unpopular, suddenly it becomes an issue.
Well, you are posting this in a long running forum run by people who like Japanese Dragon Ball and frequented by many people who also like it.

For example, I'm not gonna walk into a Scooby Doo fan forum, say something like "I think Scooby Doo is lame and the only people who like it are people that grew up with it", and expect to get no pushback whatsoever. That would be an unrealistic expectation considering where I'm voicing that opinion, and it doesn't help that I'm also making major assumptions about people who like Scooby Doo- assumptions that likely don't line up with reality for many of those people.

I said your use of "safe space" is telling in my last post, I said that because it comes off like you put disagreement and criticism on the same tier as harassment. Disagreement and criticism are not harassment. I'm pointing that out since you seem to want to play the victim about people pushing back on your statements.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:13 pm

I wonder why the forum didnt give me alerts on the new posts. I even have alerts turned on...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HarveyPlissken

Post by HarveyPlissken » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:31 am

Maybe this is just me feeling envious towards the Latino DB fan base, but after watching Totally Not Mark's video on the subject, I feel over 8,000% validated in my belief that Dragon Ball never had a good English dub that truly stood the test of time. The closest thing to a dub that's excellent IMHO were the uncut Ocean dub of the first 3 DBZ movies Pioneer released in the late 90's. The Ocean/Westwood dub for the TV series would have been a contender for GOAT, if the script changes and censorship hadn't held it back. Funimation getting the license & held the series hostage was the greatest mistake this franchise has ever made.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:41 am

HarveyPlissken wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:31 am Maybe this is just me feeling envious towards the Latino DB fan base, but after watching Totally Not Mark's video on the subject, I feel over 8,000% validated in my belief that Dragon Ball never had a good English dub that truly stood the test of time. The closest thing to a dub that's excellent IMHO were the uncut Ocean dub of the first 3 DBZ movies Pioneer released in the late 90's. The Ocean/Westwood dub for the TV series would have been a contender for GOAT, if the script changes and censorship hadn't held it back. Funimation getting the license & held the series hostage was the greatest mistake this franchise has ever made.
More specifically the owners of the rights to the franchise, but absolutely. Because if not, you wouldn't have a single thing associated with Funimation's possession of the license, which includes the constant, numerous bad home video releases they've put out (which just don't happen for lots of other 20th Century anime series releases).

And even before the nepotism, they had given the license to Harmony Gold of all people (which is apparently the source of some bad dub translations).

It's why I say now that going the way of Saint Seiya or Fist of the North Star (aka some of its true contemporaries that happen to also have been animated by Toei and scored through the Nippon Columbia label) in the US would have been better for the franchise itself than what there is now.
Granted, there would still be the core problem of Toei being a bunch of cheapskate dinosaurs that couldn't be bothered to preserve original materials like audio masters unlike literally every other contemporary studio to them (TMS, Pierrot, Sunrise, you name it) where they have actually good restorations of their older content, so that means they wouldn't ever put out 100% solid remasters of anything in 16mm film.

And of course, the only good ENG dubs that weren't alternate versions entirely or borderline parody-tier like Big Green or Speedy were basically those 3 movies. Wish I knew they'd existed 9 years ago or so.

EDIT: Also, owing to how inherently chaotic the series is with more than one element (which you really have Toriyama himself to blame for at the end of the day), it's all the more reason why an amateur company shouldn't have gotten to handle it to begin with, as the only conceivable outcome is that they would simply make it worse rather than mitigating it or bringing it under some kind of control.

Kirby Eevee

Post by Kirby Eevee » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:22 pm

I think Gas is awesome.

His moveset is interesting and his psychological conflict, added to his tragic end, makes him a very fresh character.

Reading the Granolah Arc without waiting month per month makes it really enjoyable!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:47 pm

HarveyPlissken wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:31 am Maybe this is just me feeling envious towards the Latino DB fan base, but after watching Totally Not Mark's video on the subject, I feel over 8,000% validated in my belief that Dragon Ball never had a good English dub that truly stood the test of time.
Not all the Latin dubs of DBZ were flawless. Here in Brazil, the versions came from Mexico, with translations and adaptations from there. So you can imagine the errors when brought here.

Not only that, when Kai came, there were many recasts and things didn't sound the same. Super, despite reuniting much of the original cast, contained many jokes and nonsensical adaptations absent in the original version.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:39 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:47 pm Super, despite reuniting much of the original cast, contained many jokes and nonsensical adaptations absent in the original version.
At least, the VAR joke in your dub was funnier than the Baseball shit we got in the Latin Spanish dub.

There were several mistakes in the Latin Spanish dub of Super too. Mostly because the voice director (Eduardo Garza) seemed to think he had a better knowledge in Japanese than the translator (Brenda Nava)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:18 pm

What do you mean by VAR joke Tian?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:31 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:18 pm What do you mean by VAR joke Tian?
In the Brazilian dub, when Quitela and Beerus start arguing over one of the rules of the ToP being broken, Quitela asks for the VAR:
https://youtu.be/NZkv9YUq4ao?si=dt3A0j1RsPzbhJuy (0:32)

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:29 pm

-Chama o VAR
-Chama nada

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And that was in 2017! That joke aging better than wine

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:03 pm

I dont get it lol. Can someone explain?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:58 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:03 pm I dont get it lol. Can someone explain?
VAR = Video Assistant Referee.

Used in sports (mainly in soccer football)

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:31 pm

Ah, VAR-sama: the one authority above a Hakaishin, the Grand Priest and Zeno. :lol:

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:33 pm

Base Goku at the end of Z was his final stage warrior evolution, much like Ultimate Gohan, and he couldn't get stronger with SSJ.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:08 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:03 pm I dont get it lol. Can someone explain?
The referee checks the recordings in slow motion and based on that he's making the decisions.

It kills football and its spirit.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:11 pm

Trouser wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:08 pm
The referee checks the recordings in slow motion and based on that he's making the decisions.

It kills football and its spirit.
Yeah, it came to avoid injustice, but somehow it made football more dull, like you can't celebrate a score right away until needing to be sure there wasn't any tiny irregularity lol.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:13 am

Yeah, so I'm backing up all my DVDs and Blu-rays and despite everything, despite knowing about the grain and all that... the 30th anniversary set is still the most visually appealing to me. It's just so sharp and smooth compared to the fuzzy dark look of the Dragon Boxes. Even the Level sets don't look this appealing. I know that for preservation and context the Level sets and Dragon Boxes are considered superior to the 30th anniversary set, but aside from that, just in terms of how it looks to me on my TV, this 30th anniversary set is definitely the prettiest.

And I know this is a very unpopular opinion lol

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:44 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:13 am Yeah, so I'm backing up all my DVDs and Blu-rays and despite everything, despite knowing about the grain and all that... the 30th anniversary set is still the most visually appealing to me. It's just so sharp and smooth compared to the fuzzy dark look of the Dragon Boxes. Even the Level sets don't look this appealing. I know that for preservation and context the Level sets and Dragon Boxes are considered superior to the 30th anniversary set, but aside from that, just in terms of how it looks to me on my TV, this 30th anniversary set is definitely the prettiest.

And I know this is a very unpopular opinion lol
I'm gonna be backing mine up too soon, but my god, the level of delusion with this. I can't watch the 30th anniversary remaster whatsoever without noticing all of the flaws of the aggressive DVNR & bad color correction. I would rather watch the Dragon Boxes any day of the week than those if I had the choice.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:32 am

1.Nathan M. Johnson was the only good composer in the American Score in general, Faulconer and Menza's scores are lazy as hell, a series like DBZ deserved a better replacement score, or they should've just kept Nathan for the entire series plus all the movies, even though some of his work was very mid imo.
2.Norihito Sumitomo is as good as Kikuchi, I believe what he lacked was making many memorables motifs as Kikuchi did.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.