Do you think it would have been cooler to have Majin Piccolo

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Do you think it would have been cooler to have Majin Piccolo

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue May 01, 2012 1:11 am

Like Akria Toriyama originally planned? He was going to have Piccolo come under control which would boost his power and have Goku fight him again like old times, but the editors thought Vegeta would be better. What would you rather have had? I think it would have been pretty interesting to have Piccolo vs Goku at that point, and too see Piccolo become evil again.

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Do you think it would have been cooler to have Majin Pic

Post by penguintruth » Tue May 01, 2012 1:12 am

I think it ultimately led to some interesting character development for Vegeta, one of the few things I really enjoyed about the Buu arc. So I'm fine with how it worked out.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Tue May 01, 2012 1:15 am

Meh, I can't really see the plot going as far as it did with Piccolo. Someone needed to hold the fort, and Vegeta wouldn't have been one to hold tight and train the tikes (let alone attempt the pose). Piccolo-majin'd would have stirred something with Gohan, of course, but how much further than that? What, he breaks out of it, fights Majin Boo, and is defeated? Seems like an all too familiar road. Instead, with Vegeta, you could add more to his development as a genocidal a-hole to a family man / rival.

So no, I don't think it would have been cooler. After all, look at my avatar. Piccolo and the tikes and their WACKY HIJINKS!

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue May 01, 2012 1:23 am

Wait, all of this talk over "Toriyama originally planned" and "but the editors didn't like" regarding Piccolo becoming evil again- I though this was all fan speculation.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue May 01, 2012 1:26 am

It would have been fun to see if written right. I'm going to attempt my hand at doing so as part of my rewrite project to consolidate most the franchise (manga, anime, movies, games, spin-offs, official crossovers, etc.) into a single canon. I do think that Vegeta was ultimately the right choice for the role though, as he and Piccolo fit nicely in the niches they were given in the Buu Arc IMO.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:27 am

Ugh, not this again :roll: . AT never plan Piccolo to be Majin and fans just believe that seeing how Vegeta blew up the stadium ring which remind them what Piccolo did in the 23rd TB. Piccolo should able to break out of it due to him fused with Kami and Nail.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue May 01, 2012 1:27 am

But Vegeta has always been sort of a jerk, I feel they could have played his change some other way, but Piccolo was turned good long ago and reviving a rivalry from Dragon Ball times would have just been so cool, and Piccolo might have even tried to take over the world again which would play out interestingly, just to see such a good character have all his evil resurfaced would have been more unexpected and interesting than Vegeta turning into Saiyan Vegeta again.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue May 01, 2012 1:28 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Ugh, not this again :roll: . AT never plan Piccolo to be Majin and fans just believe that seeing how Vegeta blew up the stadium ring which remind them what Piccolo did in the 23rd TB. Piccolo should able to break out of it due to him fused with Kami and Nail.
Really, oh damn I thought I had heard about the piccolo thing in one of these podcasts

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue May 01, 2012 1:34 am

What if we had a Majin Gohan? Surely he must of been somewhat pissed that his Father practically abandoned them for 7 years and missing out on Goten's birth and growth.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue May 01, 2012 1:39 am

Majin Kuririn would be interesting, reviving him and Goku's original rivalry from Master Roshi's training times lol

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue May 01, 2012 2:16 am

Majin Tenshinhan would have been bitching!

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Tue May 01, 2012 2:23 am

How far can we go? Majin Yamucha! Bear with me on this one... :lol:

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Tue May 01, 2012 2:28 am

I think it would've been great. It would have been a return to that original rivalry between Goku & Piccolo. It would've been interesting to see how Gohan handled seeing his mentor turn hideously evil. It would've been cool to see Vegeta get his ass kicked by him since he's pretty much mocked Piccolo since his debut, and finally, it would've been cool for a non-super saiyan shine.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue May 01, 2012 2:34 am

Majin Bear Thief

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue May 01, 2012 3:08 am

Majin Farmer with Shotgun!

But seriously, Majin Piccolo seems like a good concept but by that point I really don't think Piccolo really cared about an old rivalry.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue May 01, 2012 3:42 am

Gonstead wrote:Majin Farmer with Shotgun!

But seriously, Majin Piccolo seems like a good concept but by that point I really don't think Piccolo really cared about an old rivalry.
I'm sure its still buried deep down there somewhere, even though he did become God, which is what his evil self originally wanted anyway lol

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue May 01, 2012 4:07 am

After playing Supersonic Warrior 2, I realise that Majin Piccolo has the potential to be even worse than GT or Evolution. Bleh.

I guess I'd like to see the concept executed well (so long as Majin Vegeta isn't replaced) but SSW2 and the various fanfics about it have lead me to believe it's much easier said than done. :|
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:13 am

Nex Carnifex wrote:Like Akria Toriyama originally planned?.
Ugh... I really wish people would do research, because in the age of the internet it's easier than ever, but now people are less likely to do so than ever...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue May 01, 2012 4:21 am

The only reason I would have liked to see it happen would be for the character reaction, mainly from Goku and Gohan, especially since they were far more emotionally attached to him than to Vegeta. The only difference is that I don't think he would have done it willingly.
Nex Carnifex wrote:
Gonstead wrote:Majin Farmer with Shotgun!

I'm sure its still buried deep down there somewhere, even though he did become God, which is what his evil self originally wanted anyway lol

Yeah, considering that the character was literally born to defeat Goku, you could say that these feelings are in his genes, no matter how much his character developed it's part of him, so Babidi/the author had something to latch onto had he wanted it to happen.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue May 01, 2012 6:39 am

If it were to happen, everything would have had to have been re-written. A grudge match with Goku wouldn't have made sense, since the tension between them had long since evaporated.

Maybe they could have used it... but I don't think Piccolo could have retained any of the control Vegeta did... it would have made no sense for his character by this stage.

Maybe it could have worked better if he was possessed as well as Vegeta... and Piccolo could fight Gohan. I think story-wise that would work better than just Piccolo, but still, I think the story I got was better suited.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D