Why do the d-box the movies look better then the tv series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Why do the d-box the movies look better then the tv series?

Post by DHM211 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Okay i know the movies were printed on 35mm film and the tv series was on 16mm but the movies look and sound relitivly better. I know both are mono but the movies sound like stereo. There also seems like there a lot less grain in the movies and they look better on a hd tv. Why is this? If anyone know please tell me.
Last edited by DHM211 on Thu May 17, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Re: Why do the d-box the movies look better then the tv seri

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat May 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Well...they're the movies. :P Of course everything's is going to be of better quality since the source material came from a much higher budget in comparison to the TV series.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:58 pm

DHM211 wrote:Okay i know the movies were printed on 35mm film and the tv series was on 16mm but the movies look and sound relitivly better. I know both are mono but the movies sound like stereo. There also seems like there a lot less grain in the movies and the look better on a hd tv. Why is this? If anyone know please tell me.
35mm is naturally just more-detailed and sharper than 16mm. They also have less grain. I can't remember why exactly they look better on an HDTV, but I know they are anamorphic widescreen, and they did some sort of super-special thing that makes it look great on an HDTV. As for the audio, only DBZ movie 13 and DB movie 4 are stereo, the rest are all mono, but they sound great because they saved the original audio masters.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:59 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Well...they're the movies. :P Of course everything's is going to be of better quality since the source material came from a much higher budget in comparison to the TV series.
I knew that but i wanted to know the details of why it looked better.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sat May 05, 2012 11:50 pm

In terms of the video, you've basically already answered your own question in the first sentence. The movies are from 35mm film and the TV series is from 16mm. The numbers refer to the width of the film (measured in milimeters, of course), and I think it goes without saying that the larger the film stock, the more room there is to capture finer details.
Last edited by jpdbzrulz4sure on Sun May 06, 2012 12:55 am, edited 7 times in total.
-Joey

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sat May 05, 2012 11:51 pm

DHM211 wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Well...they're the movies. :P Of course everything's is going to be of better quality since the source material came from a much higher budget in comparison to the TV series.
I knew that but i wanted to know the details of why it looked better.
It was already answered: The movies had a higher budget than the TV. That allows for higher quality animation from the animators and those involved.

EDIT: And 35mm film is just a higher grade film stock allowing for better quality. :)
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:02 am

The reason the movies sound better, is because Toei kept the original audio tapes for them, whereas they disposed of them for the TV series to save space, leaving them with the optical audio tracks, which sound much worse and don't hold as much information.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Sun May 06, 2012 12:05 am

why two THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!
S S S SP P P PA A A AM M M M

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 06, 2012 12:07 am

With one exception, Movie 7 with Android 13 had some weird character designs like from worse studio than the others.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:07 am

son veku wrote:why two THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!
S S S SP P P PA A A AM M M M
What? :|
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Sun May 06, 2012 12:10 am

Not you this guy has two thread that could easily be one.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:12 am

son veku wrote:Not you this guy has two thread that could easily be one.
I'm not trying to backseat mod, but even if that's the case, the mods can easily handle that if they need to.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun May 06, 2012 12:29 am

DHM211 wrote:Okay i know the movies were printed on 35mm film and the tv series was on 16mm but the movies look and sound relitivly better. I know both are mono but the movies sound like stereo. There also seems like there a lot less grain in the movies and the look better on a hd tv. Why is this? If anyone know please tell me.
Interesting. I didn't know this. Being movies and all it does make sense though. Makes me wonder how these recent movie packs stack up against the Dragon Boxes and other Dragon Ball home releases in terms of picture quality, since the original movie footage ( Japanese Movie Box ) is so much better than the Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box quality.

This really makes me hope for a Dragon Box Z: The Movies.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:43 am

dprez wrote:Interesting. I didn't know this. Being movies and all it does make sense though. Makes me wonder how these recent movie packs stack up against the Dragon Boxes and other Dragon Ball home releases in terms of picture quality, since the original movie footage ( Japanese Movie Box ) is so much better than the Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box quality.

Rather good, though there's still some issues with a bit of lost detail due to brightness/contrast manipulation.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:49 am

dprez wrote:
Interesting. I didn't know this. Being movies and all it does make sense though. Makes me wonder how these recent movie packs stack up against the Dragon Boxes and other Dragon Ball home releases in terms of picture quality, since the original movie footage ( Japanese Movie Box ) is so much better than the Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box quality.

It really depends on the movie. Franko did the first 6, 8, and maybe 10. 2 and 5 are probably the only good Franko ones, whereas 6 is way too bright, resulting in lost shading levels, and has way too much blue push, resulting in a very blue Namek sky most of the time. 3 was too DVNR'd, and has way too much of a green push, resulting in dark browns becoming green. 1 is over-saturated, and way too bright to the point of entire levels of shading being removed. 8 is very bright, but it's not so much a contrast boost as it is just upping the brightness, so the darker colors are brighter too, which at least makes it not so hard to look at, unlike movies 1 and 6.

I'd honestly probably put the singles for 6 and 1 above the double features for those. The UUE single of movie 1 is even sharper, has no edge enhancement, and has more natural colors. If you can inverse telecine it, then it would be very adequate. Movie 6 has the usual encoding issues, but it's Double Feature counterpart is so bright and so many details lost and such terrible colors overall, that I just prefer the single for it. 3 is debatable, but besides the softness and green tint, I might prefer the Double Feature still over the single after thinking it over, but it's still far from the Dragon Box.

The remaining films were done in-house by FUNimation, and have much better grain structures, and better colors overall. If not for saturation levels, dirt, and sometimes darkness, they would be visually near the Dragon Boxes.

This thread has some good comparisons in it, so check it out. You can also check out other various threads by searching for "Double Feature" via the search function.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:11 am

Metalwario64 wrote:3 is debatable, but besides the softness and green tint, I might prefer the Double Feature still over the single after thinking it over, but it's still far from the Dragon Box.
Honestly, looking at some caps, I can't see the softness. It looks sharp to me. It's not like something like the green bricks which are obviously really blurry.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:21 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:3 is debatable, but besides the softness and green tint, I might prefer the Double Feature still over the single after thinking it over, but it's still far from the Dragon Box.
Honestly, looking at some caps, I can't see the softness. It looks sharp to me. It's not like something like the green bricks which are obviously really blurry.
These shots showcase the softness very well:

Single:

Double Feature:

Single:

Double Feature:

Here's an example of the green tint:

Single:

Double Feature:

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:26 am

The second caps I can definitely see, but the first one...I dunno, I just don't see it. The background's a bit smoother than I'd like, but the actual linework looks just fine to me, and possibly even a bit more well-defined in certain parts. It also makes me wonder how the Blu-ray looks.
As for the green tint, does anyone have a Dragon Box cap?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:29 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:The second caps I can definitely see, but the first one...I dunno, I just don't see it. The background's a bit smoother than I'd like, but the actual linework looks just fine to me, and possibly even a bit more well-defined in certain parts. It also makes me wonder how the Blu-ray looks.
As for the green tint, does anyone have a Dragon Box cap?
Here's one, courtesy of Tanooki_Kuribo:

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:30 am

Oh wow, that's not nice. I'd take the double feature over the single, although the colors are definitely not one of its strong points.