Gohan using the Kamehameha

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Gohan using the Kamehameha

Post by SonGohan-san » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:26 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew when Gohan learned how to use the Kamehameha. I seem to remember him using it against Vegita during the battle on earth, which doesn't make sense to me because where he have learned it from? Did I just imagine him using it (I don't have my eps at school w/ me so I can't check) or is this one of those instances where you're just supposed to assume that he learned how do it somehow or another OR was the part where he used it early on against Vegita simply Toei filler (I own like 1 manga of DB)?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:34 pm

Actually if I remember correctly, that was a dub mistake. I know the scene you're talking about where Gohan's firing at Vegita, while Goku's trying to get Kuririn to help him out with his Genki-Dama. If you look at Gohan's hand position and closely at his mouth movements, you can clearly see that he's saying Masenko, Piccolo's technique. I don't know why they changed it, it's the same kind of stupidity as them first pronouncing "KIE-O-Ken" as "KAY-O-Ken" instead.
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:38 pm

Yeah, that's the exact part I'm talking about. Are you sure, though?
I remember thinking the same thing until I saw some fansubs of this episode and remember being stunned off my ass when he said "KamehameHa". At least, this is assuming my memory isn't just whack.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:42 pm

No, he certainly says "Kamehameha!" in both the original anime and manga (when, quite obviously, it's a Masenko).

Technically, you could say he just "learned" it all on his own after seeing his dad use it once or twice; the only problem is that.. well.. it was a Masenko (yellow, two hands/palms above one another, raised above head and pushed forward... not blue with cupped hands).

I think we're led to assume he actually learned it while training in the Room of Spirit and Time with Goku before the Cell Games (since that's when he first uses an obvious Kamehameha, I believe).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:44 pm

Really? I haven't seen that episode in Japanese. If that's what he says then the anime messed up. At least the dialogue writers did, it wasn't the animators, since Gohan's hand position does clearly show he should be performing a "Masenko". It's definitely not in the Viz manga. The panels just show Gohan firing a blast at Vegita, but he doesn't say anything. Yep, chalk it up to anime inconsistences again. 8)
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:45 pm

Yeah, that's how I always thought it was meant to be, Goku teaching it to him.

You could just argue that Gohan was trying to emulate his father by saying "KameHameHa" even if he didn't quite know how to do it.

edited b/c I need to learn to read other people's posts a bit better.
Last edited by SonGohan-san on Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:52 pm

It's quite weird though. Budokai makes the same mistake, by giving Kid Gohan a Kamehameha attack. I always thought he learnt it in the Room of Spirit and Time, but the game threw me off a bit.

Does Gohan even do a Masenko AFTER learning the Kamehameha?

And this is probably my bad memory, but a question: Gohan learnt the Masenko off of Piccolo, right? Well, does Piccolo ever actually do a Masenko throughout DBZ? I can't remember a single instance. (Although I'm now going to find out that he does it all the time, and I've just got a shit memory.)

And this is an interesting fact! You should add it to one of your sections. Er...a general bloopers section? Maybe?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:52 pm

Hrm... coulda sworn it was in the manga. Ah, well. I'm 100% sure it was in the anime. In the computer lab right now, so it's not like I can just reach up and grab my manga, like usual :P. I trust ya' on it, though.

And yeah, I've heard the theory that Gohan was just copying what daddy said, even though he's got no idea what the Hell he's doing... and for that matter, how did a 4 1/2 - 5 year old come up with "Masenko" for a technique? It's not like Piccolo can do it / showed us he can do it... smart little boy...
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:58 pm

What does Masenko mean anyway? And where on earth did I pick up the idea that he learnt it off of Piccolo? Was that ever stated, or just assumed?

And that's an idea for a section (or mini-section at least): A translation of all the moves, with VIZ and FUNI equivalents. And maybe a note on how close they got.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:02 pm

PsyLiam wrote:And that's an idea for a section (or mini-section at least): A translation of all the moves, with VIZ and FUNI equivalents. And maybe a note on how close they got.
As cool as it would be, I'm trying to stay as far away from "OMG ATTACK LIST" as possible.... ;_;

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:03 pm

I think Piccolo might have used Masenko in one of the movies, but my memory isn't certain. I'm also certain I have always read that Piccolo taught Gohan the Masenko, I just can't remember where now. And I forget now what the word means. What's wrong with my memory?! I'm so embarassed! :oops:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:05 pm

VegettoEX wrote:As cool as it would be, I'm trying to stay as far away from "OMG ATTACK LIST" as possible.... ;_;
But it wouldn't be a list. Well, it would. Arse.

I just want to know what those words really mean, damnit. Is that so much to ask?

*cries*

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:06 pm

I always assumed he learned it from Piccolo until I saw the entire series w/o him doing it. Though you're question seemed rhetorical, I'll answer it anyways. You probably assumed like I did that Piccolo taught him one of his own attacks during the training (not his best one mind you b/c Piccolo would still need to kill him after Vegita and Nappa were dealt with). There's also the fact that Gohan's Masenko is yellow like virtually all of Piccolo's attacks.

Also, I want to say that Masenko means something along "Demon attack". I know I got that from somewhere. How right that actually is is another story.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:30 am

I believe (in the dub anyway, it's been ages since I've seen the original), that Piccolo growls "MASENKO-HA!" when he fired that blast to help distract Cell during his Kamehameha tug-of-war with Gohan... but I think he actually used the Choubakuretsumaha.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:15 pm

Bless you.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:06 pm

Question: is the Masenko REALLY taught to Gohan or is his signature/self-made move? I mean, when the hell (in the manga) does Piccolo EVER use the Masenko?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:28 am

Bless you.
Huh?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:36 am

The S wrote:
Bless you.
Huh?
Chobakuretsumaha. Don't forget Gekiretsukoudan.

Ah-choo~!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:39 am

My goodness! It seems it's contagious! :wink:

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:53 pm

Piccolo never used the Masenko in the series. I believe it means something like, "Devil's Flash". He probably just taught it to Gohan as a beginner's technique; why would he bother with it when he has so many others to choose from?

Although I recall he uses a similar technique against Cell later in the series.