Worst dub lines ever

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Worst dub lines ever

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:26 am

matt0044 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Not to mention Funimation hates Yamcha.
Who doesn't after Dragon Ball? I don't hate him myself though.
He's moderately popular in Japan, and I'm talking about how they made him out to be such a manwhore in the old dub which only adds even more to the "Yamcha is a cheating womanizer and Vegeta is Bulma's shinning knight and armor" theory when in fact, Kuririn was more girl hungry than Yamcha (remember who's inability to think outside his penis is partly responsible for Cell reaching perfection). There's a FUNi bio saying "Although he is Bulma's boyfriend, he is attentive to other girls as well.", everyone during and after the Android Saga treat him with extreme callousness, making jokes about how the baby isn't his and how weak he is. Finally? You remember the episode where the Z-Senshi (with inclusion of family and friends) attended a barbeque at Bulma's place, in the dub, Chichi was talking about trading mates with Bulma then Yamcha butts in saying either one can take him and Chichi shoots him down while everyone (including Yamcha, himself) laughs their asses off (if I were him, I'd beat the shit out of her).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon May 28, 2012 11:45 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
matt0044 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Not to mention Funimation hates Yamcha.
Who doesn't after Dragon Ball? I don't hate him myself though.
He's moderately popular in Japan, and I'm talking about how they made him out to be such a manwhore in the old dub which only adds even more to the "Yamcha is a cheating womanizer and Vegeta is Bulma's shinning knight and armor" theory when in fact, Kuririn was more girl hungry than Yamcha (remember who's inability to think outside his penis is partly responsible for Cell reaching perfection). There's a FUNi bio saying "Although he is Bulma's boyfriend, he is attentive to other girls as well.", everyone during and after the Android Saga treat him with extreme callousness, making jokes about how the baby isn't his and how weak he is. Finally? You remember the episode where the Z-Senshi (with inclusion of family and friends) attended a barbeque at Bulma's place, in the dub, Chichi was talking about trading mates with Bulma then Yamcha butts in saying either one can take him and Chichi shoots him down while everyone (including Yamcha, himself) laughs their asses off (if I were him, I'd beat the shit out of her).
Wow I never realized how the dub treats Yamucha, when you point it out it makes it seem kinda cruel. Atleast he's the best in Budokai 3.....thats got to mean something right? 8)
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Mon May 28, 2012 1:19 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: (if I were him, I'd beat the shit out of her)
Christ, dude, I hope you never have a girl laugh at you in real life if you think that would be an appropriate response.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:27 pm

LiamKav wrote:
Christ, dude, I hope you never have a girl laugh at you in real life if you think that would be an appropriate response.
That's only if I were in FUNi-Yamcha's position.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon May 28, 2012 1:28 pm

LiamKav wrote:
Agreed and so someone jokes about you and you have go beat them up? That's total abuse of power and Yamcha would never do that.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Mon May 28, 2012 1:40 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Saiga wrote:Because it's incredibly awesome.
Sarcasm?
My assumption is that he means the scene itself is awesome, and that inherit awesomeness supersedes how incredibly shitty the dub script is.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 28, 2012 1:46 pm

The worse thing is that lines like these had WRITERS. And somebody had to APPROVE of these lines.

Somebody actually said, "Yes, that 'ally to good, nightmare to you' speech? Brilliant. Record it immediately!"

To whom does that speech even make sense? Who even says stuff like that? "I am the light in the darkness"? Really? What sort of pretentious douchebag actually says that about himself? Who thinks of themselves as "the light in the darkness"? Certainly not Goku. Goku is a hillbilly. Lofty subjects such as justice or peace, he knows nothing of their philosophy. He's just a guy who likes a good fight. But no, they had to turn him into Super Jesus.
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6 (KJV)
Jesus should sue Dub Goku.

Somebody actually approved of Freeza saying, "You can use it as a backscratcher." Somebody went, "HAHAHAHA, back scratcher! Man, you did a great job writing this script. We're all set to record now. Backscratcher, hilarious."

Somebody actually COMPLETELY IGNORED just how inaccurate and stupid these bullshit lines are and decided YES, THIS MUST GO IN THE SHOW.

F***ing ponderous. Did at any point somebody on staff say, "Hey guys, we're sort of making up the dialogue as we go along, it's not very accurate"?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:52 pm

penguintruth wrote:The worse thing is that lines like these had WRITERS. And somebody had to APPROVE of these lines.

Somebody actually said, "Yes, that 'ally to good, nightmare to you' speech? Brilliant. Record it immediately!"

To whom does that speech even make sense? Who even says stuff like that? "I am the light in the darkness"? Really? What sort of pretentious douchebag actually says that about himself? Who thinks of themselves as "the light in the darkness"? Certainly not Goku. Goku is a hillbilly. Lofty subjects such as justice or peace, he knows nothing of their philosophy. He's just a guy who likes a good fight. But no, they had to turn him into Super Jesus.
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
Jesus should sue Dub Goku.

Somebody actually approved of Freeza saying, "You can use it as a backscratcher." Somebody went, "HAHAHAHA, back scratcher! Man, you did a great job writing this script. We're all set to record now. Backscratcher, hilarious."

Somebody actually COMPLETELY IGNORED just how inaccurate and stupid these bullshit lines are and decided YES, THIS MUST GO IN THE SHOW.

F***ing ponderous. Did at any point somebody on staff say, "Hey guys, we're sort of making up the dialogue as we go along, it's not very accurate"?
I wonder about this everyday of my life. Why did think that making shit up was better than, you know, translating and adapting the original script faithfully as possible? Was it some rule back then that all Anime being aimed at kids in the US had to have unnecessary dialogue and story changes be it for censorship or not?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 28, 2012 2:03 pm

The funny thing is, they did MORE work making shit up. It would have taken LESS time and work to do an accurate dub.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon May 28, 2012 3:05 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:He's moderately popular in Japan, and I'm talking about how they made him out to be such a manwhore in the old dub which only adds even more to the "Yamcha is a cheating womanizer and Vegeta is Bulma's shinning knight and armor" theory when in fact, Kuririn was more girl hungry than Yamcha (remember who's inability to think outside his penis is partly responsible for Cell reaching perfection). There's a FUNi bio saying "Although he is Bulma's boyfriend, he is attentive to other girls as well.", everyone during and after the Android Saga treat him with extreme callousness, making jokes about how the baby isn't his and how weak he is. Finally? You remember the episode where the Z-Senshi (with inclusion of family and friends) attended a barbeque at Bulma's place, in the dub, Chichi was talking about trading mates with Bulma then Yamcha butts in saying either one can take him and Chichi shoots him down while everyone (including Yamcha, himself) laughs their asses off (if I were him, I'd beat the shit out of her).
As well as the surfer accent Sabat put on him, for some strange reason. No wonder fans only familiar with the dub believed that he was nothing more than an arrogant dudebro douchebag.
penguintruth wrote:The funny thing is, they did MORE work making shit up. It would have taken LESS time and work to do an accurate dub.
I think the answer really is that they wanted to "Americanize" the show as much as possible for the audience, and they thought the best way of doing that was to add jokes that they thought would be hilarious to teenage boys. The bullshit lines? Again, they probably thought it would appeal more to them, like turning an unorthodox hero with hick mannerisms like Gokuu into a well-spoken Superman (maybe the whole "Jesus" would be a bonus for soccer moms that might be watching it with their kids, perhaps to take away from the fact that the hero in question was still violently beating the shit out of people).

Furthermore, the whole simplification thing they had going on. So Freeza's an aristocratic faux-polite emperor with occasional and frightening outbursts of rage anymore: he looks like a girl (the lips and his final form's figure, I guess?), so he must be an ageing and creepily flirtatious homosexual who apparently failed at being a comedian. Kaiou isn't an intelligent god of martial arts who also happens to be a joker with a poor taste in humour: he looks like a funny catfish thing, so all he must be is a joker with a poor taste in humour...and sounds like he has marbles in his mouth.

Because, obviously, kids won't like the original incarnations of these characters, so FUNimation thought it was their duty to jazz them up a bit! :P
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 28, 2012 3:25 pm

If anyone tried doing today to another show what Funimation did to DBZ back then, people would be up in arms.

But with DBZ it's okay to so many people because, "That's the way I grew up with it."

Nostalgia can be a real cancer.

Can I get a Schemen?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon May 28, 2012 3:29 pm

penguintruth wrote:If anyone tried doing today to another show what Funimation did to DBZ back then, people would be up in arms.

But with DBZ it's okay to so many people because, "That's the way I grew up with it."

Nostalgia can be a real cancer.
Yeah, but you know, that's just the way things happen. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Actually, I can sort of forgive the people who like the dub out of nostalgia, if they would just say that. It's at least somewhat understandable. "I know it's a bad dub, but I grew up with it." Fine.

It's better than the ones that INSIST that it's an accurate, well-acted dub, nostalgia aside. Or even BETTER, like Funimation IMPROVED the show somehow.

Somebody out there PREFERS "You can use it as a backscratcher. Backscratcher, where do I come up with these?"

Somebody actually WROTE that. Somebody's even PROUD of that line, probably. Somebody was PAID to write that.

Can I get a Schemen?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:56 pm

That particular line isn't so bad. The "backscratcher, where do I come up with these?" part is cringe-worthy, but the first part isn't terrible. Makes Freeza seem sadistic. (I'm assuming this is the time when he ripped Nail's arm off.) Though I can't remember what the original line was.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Double-post
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Mon May 28, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:28 pm

Jackal puFF wrote: Agreed and so someone jokes about you and you have go beat them up? That's total abuse of power and Yamcha would never do that.
Okay, I'd admit that was pushing it (although a lot of fans would be happy to see Chichi get the shit beat out of her) but I wouldn't be happy either.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Mon May 28, 2012 5:28 pm

penguintruth wrote:If anyone tried doing today to another show what Funimation did to DBZ back then, people would be up in arms.
You mean like all the anger about the original One Piece dubbed? Or the Sailor Moon spin off from DBZ: Uncensored? Or the multitude of sites compaining about the editing and music replacement and name changes going on in Pokemon?

Lots of people are angry about lots of things. By and large, if you don't like those things, you don't care that anyone is angry about it.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon May 28, 2012 8:57 pm

DemonRin wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:
Saiga wrote:Because it's incredibly awesome.
Sarcasm?
My assumption is that he means the scene itself is awesome, and that inherit awesomeness supersedes how incredibly shitty the dub script is.
No, I mean the speech is awesome and improves the scene.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:He's moderately popular in Japan, and I'm talking about how they made him out to be such a manwhore in the old dub which only adds even more to the "Yamcha is a cheating womanizer and Vegeta is Bulma's shinning knight and armor" theory when in fact, Kuririn was more girl hungry than Yamcha (remember who's inability to think outside his penis is partly responsible for Cell reaching perfection). There's a FUNi bio saying "Although he is Bulma's boyfriend, he is attentive to other girls as well.", everyone during and after the Android Saga treat him with extreme callousness, making jokes about how the baby isn't his and how weak he is. Finally? You remember the episode where the Z-Senshi (with inclusion of family and friends) attended a barbeque at Bulma's place, in the dub, Chichi was talking about trading mates with Bulma then Yamcha butts in saying either one can take him and Chichi shoots him down while everyone (including Yamcha, himself) laughs their asses off (if I were him, I'd beat the shit out of her).
I think you're just getting waaaay too defensive about Yamcha. The dub isn't exactly horrible to him, and in Japan he's popular because they love making fun of his death in the Saiyan saga. And that last line is borderline psychotic, even if we were talking about one of his male friends. It's not normal to beat the shit out of people for making a joke at your expense, and I'd like to think Yamcha isn't a completely unhinged psychopath.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon May 28, 2012 9:10 pm

In what way is that 6-word piece of silver age esque fuckness awesome or an improvement?
-Joey

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Vegeta to Android 19: "The Ultimate TUB OF LARD, BUCKET OF BOLTS!!!"

As much as that amuses me, it's pretty damn bad.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92