The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion, etc.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion,

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 23, 2013 7:24 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Those sketches on that cover. *_* (the ones of Kaio's planet, Kaio, and Goku). Is there more preliminary art like that inside the book? Because that "I haven't seen this before" stuff could seriously sway me to buy this. I've hesitated so far because I already have daizenshuu 1 and I've seen most of the art from daizenshuu 7.
No. Julian has stated a couple of times, I think...somebody did anyway, that there isn't any other concept art in the book.
Aw. :<

What a tease to put some on the cover.
I do appreciate the sketches. I would've liked more of them though.

I probably did hear Julian talk about it on the podcast at some point; I'm just so incredibly tired right now that I can't remember it. XD
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Alpha_Flight

Post by Alpha_Flight » Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Just picked up my copy from Fedex!

Beautiful, amazing book :D

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu May 23, 2013 8:51 pm

I just got mine today. It is a really great art book but I do wish some of that concept art from earlier guidebooks and such would have been included. There is a decent chunk of stuff they could fill a smaller art book with. But they probably won't.
The little reprinted Toriyama comics are my favorite part.
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:No. Julian has stated a couple of times, I think...somebody did anyway, that there isn't any other concept art in the book.
There is just the little concept art of the GT ship and Giru.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu May 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Makaioshin wrote:There is just the little concept art of the GT ship and Giru.
Ehhhh...yeah, that would technically be concept art too, but I wasn't really counting them. Those were fully finished, colored and polished pieces. Wouldn't really consider 'em the same thing when comparing them to the to the sketches that we're talking about, though I get you.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri May 24, 2013 2:02 am

The fact that those sketches of Goku and Kaio are sorta random, and that there isn't any others in the book, I kinda wonder if those are just a few scraps Toriyama happened to find at the bottom of a desk drawer or something. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't keep a lot of that stuff. :cry:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri May 24, 2013 2:15 am

What I'd like to see, preliminary-sketch-wise, would be of Vegeta and the various scrapped character design ideas he could've possibly had at the very beginning. Going by the Kaio, Cell, Mr. Popo, and teen Gohan ones I've seen; there could've potentially been a lot of variety of what-ifs for Vegeta's too.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sat May 25, 2013 11:48 am

Mangabroadcast has been updated with the digital tankobon Freeza arc, Chozenshu 4 and Chogashu!
http://mangabroadcast.jp/feature01.html

Interestingly, it seems that the manga images that show up on the timeline on Chozenshu 4 are from the Full Color Manga (and that includes some images apparently from the Buu arc).
Also, guys, can we ever get to see a translation of the "Dragon Ball Characters’ Secret Stories" from Chozenshu 4? Those questions look pretty interesting, especially the ones regarding the Artificial Humans.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun May 26, 2013 8:56 pm

I ordered the Chogashu on CDJapan a few days ago.
We'll see if everything turns out to be fine and if I can indeed end up having that magnificent book. 8)
omegalucas wrote: Interestingly, it seems that the manga images that show up on the timeline on Chozenshu 4 are from the Full Color Manga (and that includes some images apparently from the Buu arc).
Fascinating, especially since the two Kaio Shin are shown to have their Kanzenban colors, like Kaio!
My hopes are waaaay up that they finally understood how Kaio Shin and Kibito are supposed to look like: Kaio Shin reddish, Kibito bluish! 8)

SSJ_Catacomb

Post by SSJ_Catacomb » Tue May 28, 2013 4:34 am

Chogashu arrived at my door this very minute. So excited to open it up!
"Kakarotto! I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"But Vegeta, we're already dead!" -- Vegeta & Goku

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Tue May 28, 2013 12:49 pm

It seems the Chogashu is out of print again....http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.htm ... BK-1486863
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redon » Tue May 28, 2013 5:53 pm

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Tue May 28, 2013 7:20 pm

redon wrote:Chōgashū video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knEtAd9gsqw
So Pilaf colored green was drawn by Toriyama.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue May 28, 2013 11:40 pm

Shit, YesAsia canceled my Chogashu order saying it was discovered to be "Out-of-Print."

Can anyone link me to a site where I can still buy the Chogashu?
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Wed May 29, 2013 9:43 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:Shit, YesAsia canceled my Chogashu order saying it was discovered to be "Out-of-Print."

The same thing just happened to me. Bummer. The listings on CDJapan, Amazon Japan, and PlayAsia are all Out-of-Print. I'd be very grateful if somebody could point me in the direction of another online retailer that perhaps has some stock. Thanks.

SSJ_Catacomb

Post by SSJ_Catacomb » Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 am

the original ero-sennin wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:Shit, YesAsia canceled my Chogashu order saying it was discovered to be "Out-of-Print."

The same thing just happened to me. Bummer. The listings on CDJapan, Amazon Japan, and PlayAsia are all Out-of-Print. I'd be very grateful if somebody could point me in the direction of another online retailer that perhaps has some stock. Thanks.
There's no way that it's already gone Out-of-Print on a permanent basis. It hasn't exactly been on sale for a vast amount of time, so I'm sure a few more batches will crop up in the coming weeks. Saying that, money has been tight recently and I really put off getting the Chozenshuus and the Chogashu, but I just barely secured my copy of the latter before CD Japan changed the listing. Noticed that the first Chozenshu had gone out of print too, so I ended up resorting to paying a little more than I'd like to on eBay. Anyway, now I've committed to buying them all I should definitely get a move on ordering the rest of them... But I won't have the money for about another week, so fingers-crossed volumes 2-4 are still available! :shock:
"Kakarotto! I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"But Vegeta, we're already dead!" -- Vegeta & Goku

Jawdrahb
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jawdrahb » Wed May 29, 2013 10:13 am

Meanwhile, perhaps ask if this seller at Rakuten still has any.

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 am

Jawdrahb wrote:Meanwhile, perhaps ask if this seller at Rakuten still has any.
Thank you. But since they don't ship to the United States, I'll have to keep looking.

Jawdrahb
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jawdrahb » Wed May 29, 2013 10:29 am

the original ero-sennin wrote:
Jawdrahb wrote:Meanwhile, perhaps ask if this seller at Rakuten still has any.
Thank you. But since they don't ship to the United States, I'll have to keep looking.
My apologies, I hadn't noticed. It'll be worth a shot emailing your preferred retailer(s) about the likelihood of restocks.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed May 29, 2013 10:43 am

Will we get the new Chozenshuu 4 information any time soon? Is it in the works? (Not referring to the interviews.)
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed May 29, 2013 11:10 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Will we get the new Chozenshuu 4 information any time soon? Is it in the works? (Not referring to the interviews.)
Herms concerns himself more with that stuff, and I haven't heard from him lately. I have the most fun with the behind-the-scenes stuff, which is why the site has been inundated with creator-, cast-, and staff-interviews since last year.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。