Anyone catch this?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:24 pm

It would be sort of weird to stop producing the DBZ Blu-Rays and then double back to do the original series on Blu-Ray. I mean, yeah, it makes more sense to start from the beginning of the story, but they already didn't, so why start now?

(Man, was I soapboxing last night... still prefer the Dragon Boxes.)
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:31 pm

Craddle wrote:Image
Well I guess that's that then, what a bummer.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:32 pm

Phew. That's a relief.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:39 pm

The thing is, why would you go through the trouble of editing that thing in the first place? I seem to recall hearing rumours of a 2013 Dragon Ball re-release on this forum a while ago anyway.

Wasn't there some talk about throwing the Harmony Gold dub in as an extra?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Here I was hoping for something :( that's okay I guess..I'm still waiting on the Dragon-boxes anyway :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:41 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:The thing is, why would you go through the trouble of editing that thing in the first place?
To cause a commotion. Which has been successful.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:43 pm

Good, it would be a waste of time to re-release the Blue Bricks on Blu-Ray.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Craddle wrote:
On the first image you will notice it has "No comments" the second image has "99 comments." However if you go to FUNi's blog, those "99 comments date back to Sept. 22 2011. So how could they not be there?
Justin Rojas wrote: Actually, as our social media manager points out, the comment count is wrong on this image for whenever the time this would have been screencapped. It should not say "No comments" since it's an updated post. Take a look at the comments and see what times they were posted. Definitely a fake image.
Social media manager pointed out the exact same thing as I did at first glancing at the image. FUNi, you hiring? LOL!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:26 pm

If there is a DB re-release in our near future and it turns out to be the Blue Bricks in Blu-ray, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to get them immediately. I just can't imagine how it could get any better without costing some serious cash that FUNi's probably not willing to throw down.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:09 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:I seem to recall hearing rumours of a 2013 Dragon Ball re-release on this forum a while ago anyway.

Wasn't there some talk about throwing the Harmony Gold dub in as an extra?
Inbeed. We had from a quote from a Funimation rep describing they had plans for the original Dragon Ball for 2013, possibly a new release of some sorts.

Before or after comes the Dragon Box survey, the educated guesses start there.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:20 pm

It does appear to be fake now.

Either that, or FUNimation is getting really good at Internet cover-ups. This wouldn't be the first time a future FUNi release was accidentally revealed before it should have been.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:23 pm

G1Ravage wrote:It does appear to be fake now.

Either that, or FUNimation is getting really good at Internet cover-ups. This wouldn't be the first time a future FUNi release was accidentally revealed before it should have been.
Ironically enough, the first thing that comes to mind for me was the DVD version of 'Dragon Ball: Season One'.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:12 pm

With the DVD, their story was "we will have more to say later"... as opposed to this, where it was "it is not real and here is why it is not real."

And that's why it would be really fucking irresponsible to post things like this as news before you do any independent research.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:04 pm

penguintruth wrote:Funimation can spearhead as many remasters as they want, but it's not their place to improve on a show that they didn't write, didn't animate, didn't direct, didn't fund, didn't produce, didn't have a damn thing to do with other than marketing it to North America.
To the best of my knowledge, and I will freely concede the point if I am wrong, Pony Canyon had nothing to do with the original production of any Dragon Ball material, yet they were involved in the restoration and remastering of the majority of the Dragon Boxes. Even then, the Dragon Boxes aren't exactly what you would have seen when it originally aired on TV, just like the Level sets being a bit too dark. Why isn't there a boycott against the Dragon Boxes in that case? The only real difference is the masters FUNimation had to work with.

Shouldn't Toei also garner the same level of criticism for perpetuating the spread of the cropped DBZ footage in international markets simply because it's already available? Either through laziness or simply not caring, Toei is guilty by association with the butchering done to DBZ with that process and by licensing it to anyone else, they are effectively justifying it. So while FUNimation should have never cropped it in the first place, Toei should never have allowed that particular product to be exported to other markets.
Sin wrote:Another thing to notice is that the text saying 'Dragon Ball - Season One - Blu-ray' is the same format as other hyperlinks, and since all of the other titles in the table link to an Amazon listing it would imply that that title too linked to one.
It is actually way too easy to fake a hyperlink. You don't even need to put in a full URL in order for a link to show up as active. Hell, with CSS you don't even need to put in a URL at all, just tell the text to bold with a specific colour and underline and unless you hover over the "link" you would never know the difference. It could also have simply linked to the corresponding DVD release.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:21 pm

VegettoEX wrote:With the DVD, their story was "we will have more to say later"... as opposed to this, where it was "it is not real and here is why it is not real."

And that's why it would be really fucking irresponsible to post things like this as news before you do any independent research.
I was hell-bent on doing my own independent research after seeing this news posted. My very first response was "Anyone here have any investigative skills?" I knew that there was no way in HFIL that it was real. I was hoping I'd catch Justin before the weekend. (Then I realized he was 3 hours behind me. EST - PST. He still had 3 hours of work left.) Otherwise we/internet would have been stuck with this bogus info all weekend long.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:03 pm

I am severely disappointed, it was like waking up Christmas morning and getting a Nintendo64, only to have a hollow box in the end.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:06 pm

God dammit, all of my hopes and dreams have been shattered.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:22 pm

Glad to see this is not going to be the big news for Dragon Ball in 2013. Here's hoping for the Dragon Boxes!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf