What exactly is "purity of heart"?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What exactly is "purity of heart"?

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:17 am

Exactly what it says.

Everyone seems to think that it means purity of good, or purity of evil, but it never says.
Vegeta says he's "pure evil" when he reveals himself to be Super Saiyan, but I highly doubt he was considering he'd obviously had some sort of non-rape romp with Bulma that resulted in Trunks.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What exactly is "purity of heart"?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:33 am

I've always kind of assumed the 'pure' part was either complete BS (I can't remember if that's even in the Japanese version or just the dub either, come to think of it), but if it isn't then...perhaps it just means a pure kind of rage, since rage is what triggers it.

Sure, Goku's transformation is started because of Kuririn's death. Vegeta's is triggered by his anger at himself for not managing to get there. But maybe those were just the surface feelings, and the actual anger was just...anger. A 'pure' and simple feeling of rage.

Anyway, that's my guess on it. I've got absolutely nothing to back it up of course, so take it for what you will, and hopefully someone with a better answer will come along next.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:37 am

It is free from any additional qualities. It's one entire essence.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:38 am

I just checked by japanese dub, and that line is present in it. I think that the "pure of heart" is simply an excuse for Goku to be the first one to do it IMO. As Akira Toriyama said, "It's useful to keep Vegeta around in the story" or something like that. Keeping Vegeta around would naturally mean he would have to be relevant to Goku in some shape or form, and giving him Super Saiyan is the best way to do it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 am

Vegeta's an excellent walking plot-device. If anything, he's good at causing plot-stuff to happen; be it helpful or dangerous. XD

For "pure heart" though; I always felt it was kind of a cultural thing. Like this trait applied to characters with certain personalities in order to either make them stand out or make them more desirable depending on what type of audience you're aiming the character at.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 am

The reason why I was wondering was because the whole "pure heart awakened through rage" thing isn't really clear if you don't even know what pure is to begin with.

I've wondered if "pure" is essentially "ignorant".
What I mean by this is that someone who's pure is essentially mindful of themselves and not others, not because they have the intention to not care, or hurt people by not caring, but simply because they don't. This would explain why Goku doesn't seem to care about Chi Chi's feelings, not because he wants to hurt her, but simply because he doesn't pay any mind to how his actions hurt her or those around him. Goku fights and trains for the sake of seeing how strong he can get, and not to beat the crap out of people.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:38 am

That's just something for characters (Vegeta...) to talk about, though it has nothing to do with SSJ.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 am

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:The reason why I was wondering was because the whole "pure heart awakened through rage" thing isn't really clear if you don't even know what pure is to begin with.

I've wondered if "pure" is essentially "ignorant".
What I mean by this is that someone who's pure is essentially mindful of themselves and not others, not because they have the intention to not care, or hurt people by not caring, but simply because they don't. This would explain why Goku doesn't seem to care about Chi Chi's feelings, not because he wants to hurt her, but simply because he doesn't pay any mind to how his actions hurt her or those around him. Goku fights and trains for the sake of seeing how strong he can get, and not to beat the crap out of people.
I feel that's a harsh assessment of Goku's personality to be honest. Yes he says certain things without any regard for the other persons feelings some times. He may also do certain stuff that others don't agree with. But he does care about others around him, he's just hardly been shown to do so. I can think of a few examples where he's cared about how others have felt and has helped them out purely because he cares. Saving Upa from Captain Yellow, collecting the dragonballs to wish his father back. Changing his mind about Gohan fighting Cell and asking for a Senzu bean only for it to be too late. Telling Gohan he did an amazing job, that he's proud of him and telling him to say sorry to Chi Chi for him before he teleports Cell away before he can blow up the Earth.

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Hitiro wrote:
I feel that's a harsh assessment of Goku's personality to be honest. Yes he says certain things without any regard for the other persons feelings some times. He may also do certain stuff that others don't agree with. But he does care about others around him, he's just hardly been shown to do so. I can think of a few examples where he's cared about how others have felt and has helped them out purely because he cares. Saving Upa from Captain Yellow, collecting the dragonballs to wish his father back. Changing his mind about Gohan fighting Cell and asking for a Senzu bean only for it to be too late. Telling Gohan he did an amazing job, that he's proud of him and telling him to say sorry to Chi Chi for him before he teleports Cell away before he can blow up the Earth.
I'm not saying he doesn't care, but can you honestly say that he cares enough about Chi Chi and his family to stick around for their emotional benefit?

They guy was off training for pretty much half of Gohan's childhood, and left Chi Chi at the end of DBZ to train with some kid he just met. Not to mention, following the ten years after Boo, what's the first thing we see him doing? Training. And it wasn't light training because Bulma mentions that she barely ever hears from him anymore.

The only reason he re-thought his senario against Cell was because Piccolo dogged him. Granted he was probably concerned for his son, but the honest part of it is was that he didn't want the responsibility of defending the Earth anymore, and that was the whole reason why he'd trained him in the first place. And he chose not to come back after he died against Cell. He said it had to do with all the enemies being after him, but he immediately follows that up with the fact that he was excited that he could now seek out more training in the afterlife.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:42 pm

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:I'm not saying he doesn't care, but can you honestly say that he cares enough about Chi Chi and his family to stick around for their emotional benefit?

They guy was off training for pretty much half of Gohan's childhood, and left Chi Chi at the end of DBZ to train with some kid he just met. Not to mention, following the ten years after Boo, what's the first thing we see him doing? Training. And it wasn't light training because Bulma mentions that she barely ever hears from him anymore.

The only reason he re-thought his senario against Cell was because Piccolo dogged him. Granted he was probably concerned for his son, but the honest part of it is was that he didn't want the responsibility of defending the Earth anymore, and that was the whole reason why he'd trained him in the first place. And he chose not to come back after he died against Cell. He said it had to do with all the enemies being after him, but he immediately follows that up with the fact that he was excited that he could now seek out more training in the afterlife.
To be fair, the time Goku was missing from Gohan's childhood was mostly because he was dead. He spent 4 years with him in the beginning, was dead for a year, stuck in space for a year admittedly he stayed to train but he was also injured for a portion of that time. Spent 3 years training with Gohan in preparation for the Androids and a further solid year of just him and Gohan in preparation for the fight with Cell. And was then dead for 7 years again. Goku was in 50% of Gohan's life which would have probably been more if he hadn't of died at the Cell Games. Also the reason why he sent Gohan out to fight wasn't because he didn't rant the responsibility of defending the Earth anymore. It was because he believe that only Gohan could defeat Cell, which he was correct in that assumption.

Also, like you said, the reason why he didn't want to be brought back is because Bulma pointed out before that Goku seems to attract bad guys so staying dead seemed to be the best option as his friends would have some peace. Adding the whole "being excited about meeting different martial artists" in the afterlife I felt was just something to comfort his friends, as in, he's letting them know that he'll be fine up there and will enjoy it. He says a similar sort of thing when Gohan was getting depressed about him dying during the short prelude before the kamehameha duel. Something like "Don't worry about it, me and Kaio will have lots of fun up here!" Though you can choose to believe that he did it for selfish reasons if you want I believe he said it because he liked the prospect and he was was thinking about how his friends felt.

Zykar

Post by Zykar » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:20 pm

That's just something for characters (Vegeta...) to talk about, though it has nothing to do with SSJ.
I think this would be true.

Either that or what purity of heart meaning staying true to oneself. Looking back to the Saiyan Arc, Muten Roshi said that Goku was an evil kid, but when he lost his memory he also had what could be called a change of heart, it's not that he wasn't true to himself anymore it's just that he changed his nature due to an accident. Still he never hid his saiyan pride imo, always trying to be the best, undergoing all kinds of training to beat his opponents.

In a way Vegeta is the same, even though one might say he was evil in the beginning i think otherwise, he just changed his view on how stuff worked. He tried all kinds of training to become the very best like Goku did, staying true to himself and to his saiyan pride.

Wasn't there also an episode on DB where a guy used an attack to kill everyone that had "impurities", but it never got to work on Goku? Not sure on this one though.
"You said you have a dream… That dream… Make it come true! Wonderful dreams and ideals give you the power to change the world! If anyone can, it's you!"

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Zykar wrote: Wasn't there also an episode on DB where a guy used an attack to kill everyone that had "impurities", but it never got to work on Goku? Not sure on this one though.
You must be talking about Akkuman and his Akumaito Kōsen, which does something like taking the opponent's inpure thoughts, multiplying them by infinity and using that against them.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:35 pm

I think it alludes to the small minority of people who aren't driven by selfish desires.
But Goku also fails there because he likes to fight at the expense of his friends and family.
lol I think, at the beginning of DB Goku was pure of heart, but then he changed because Toriyama wrote him differently later-on when he figured out he was a fight-crazed saiyan.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Gokuden wrote:I think it alludes to the small minority of people who aren't driven by selfish desires.
But Goku also fails there because he likes to fight at the expense of his friends and family.
lol I think, at the beginning of DB Goku was pure of heart, but then he changed because Toriyama wrote him differently later-on when he figured out he was a fight-crazed saiyan.
I think that unlike law, heaven can forgive ignorance. And with this, Gokū has remained pure (good) for the whole series.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:33 pm

hleV wrote:
Gokuden wrote:I think it alludes to the small minority of people who aren't driven by selfish desires.
I think that unlike law, heaven can forgive ignorance. And with this, Gokū has remained pure (good) for the whole series.
Heaven considers him a prophecy, I don't know if they think he's ignorant, at least to King Yenma. I think it was because he was written differently later, the pure of heart was just remains of the preceding.

I really believed Goku was pure of heart during the DragonBall era, but not later, I mean suggesting Videl get naked, or even Bulma. :crazy: He became a normal humanoid.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:52 pm

Yet he can still ride Kinto-Un... now that I think of it, he only does it in GT, so who knows if Goku actually lost the ability of riding it (ignoring GT). :shock:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:03 pm

omegalucas wrote:Yet he can still ride Kinto-Un... now that I think of it, he only does it in GT, so who knows if Goku actually lost the ability of riding it (ignoring GT). :shock:
That's what I've been thinking, because we never see him use later in DBZ.
This man is my hero:

SSJFinny

Post by SSJFinny » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:09 pm

I tink it would be how Piccolo described where Vegeta would go before Vegeta sacraficed him self. Goku devoted his whole life to protecting others without regards to his own life. With complete selfless actions it gave him purity.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Judging by the way Goku eats, his heart is purely bacon fat. I bet his fighting ki is the only thing keeping him alive.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Saitou Hajime
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saitou Hajime » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:56 pm

I think it's a moment of complete focus and single-mindedness. I guess you could compare it to the SEED mode in Gundam SEED where something just pops inside you and you go into a kind of zone.