For fans of the Latin Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarCas92
Regular

For fans of the Latin Dub

Post by MarCas92 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy the whole series online NOT bootleg?
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: For fans of the Latin Dub

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:12 pm

MarCas92 wrote:Does anyone know where I can buy the whole series online NOT bootleg?
Sadly I don't think you can legally buy the whole series online with the Latin dub anywhere sorry :(.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 pm

Someone dubbed the series into Latin?! That's... that's incredib--

...Oh. Latin-American.

*Briefly imagined the series recast as taking place in a pseudo-Roman Empire*
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:28 pm

You know, I'll never understand why The Mexican-Spanish refer to themselves as Latin. Only by Language are they somewhat related... but so are French, Italians (which would make more sense to be referred to Latin, kinda), Spanish, etc.

Off topic, but seriously, Mexican would be more proper to refer to the language/culture as it is slightly different than mainland Spanish in Spain.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:20 am

I suppose it's called "Latin Spanish" to cover it as a whole of the Spanish used in the Americas.

Español de Colombia
Español de Argentina
Español de México
Español de Venezuela
etc etc (although all of them are pretty familiar)

It's easier to just call it as that than separately.

Catalán isn't exactly Spanish, but someone who knows Spanish or French might understand a word or two.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:26 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:Someone dubbed the series into Latin?! That's... that's incredib--

...Oh. Latin-American.
I thought the same kind of thing when I first read the title. :lol: EGOSUMSAIIANSUPERNUSSONGOCUS

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 am

Well I think it goes in hand with the term Latin America. Here I hear the South America all the time as Latin and not a south, dunno why. Also the term latino and latin is used for music and dance and such.
So for me, the title was clear.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:40 am

Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:51 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I suppose it's called "Latin Spanish" to cover it as a whole of the Spanish used in the Americas.

Español de Colombia
Español de Argentina
Español de México
Español de Venezuela
etc etc (although all of them are pretty familiar)
That´s correct!! The Latin American translation is practically accurate to the Japanese version ( manga, series, TV specials, movies, Ova ). That´s a plus!!
Last edited by MDSTSSJ on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:32 pm

soulnova wrote:Beware, all of those have the old VHS quality.
Which is good for me who wants exactly what were broadcast on TV.

MDSTSSJ wrote:That´s correct!! The Latin translation is practically accurate to the Japanese version ( manga, series, TV specials, movies, Ova ). That´s a plus!!
I think you should say "Latin American" instead of just "Latin" to avoid possible misunderstandings.

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:36 pm

kei17 wrote:
soulnova wrote:Beware, all of those have the old VHS quality.
Which is good for me who wants exactly what were broadcast on TV.

MDSTSSJ wrote:That´s correct!! The Latin translation is practically accurate to the Japanese version ( manga, series, TV specials, movies, Ova ). That´s a plus!!
I think you should say "Latin American" instead of just "Latin" to avoid possible misunderstandings.
Fixed, you are right!!! Thank you Kei17.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm sure there are many reasons that the word "Latin" is thrown in, but in the context of anime, I usually see the word "Latin" or "Latino" thrown in as a way of differentiating which Spanish dub of an anime that fans are referring to. For example, "the Latin Spanish dub," is usually referring to a Spanish dub produced for Spanish-speaking audiences in Mexico/South America, whereas "the European Spanish dub" is usually referring to a Spanish dub produced in...Spain. This is particularly relevant to the "Dragon Ball" animes, because the general consensus seems to be that the Latin Spanish dub was vastly superior to the European Spanish dub on almost every front.

While I'm on the subject, can somebody educate me a bit more and tell me why there's a perceived need for two different Spanish dubs if the language is essentially the same? I don't mean that cynically, I'm just asking for the sake of learning more because there isn't a similar type of situation for the English language. Which is to say that you don't typically see, for example, a "US English dub," and a "UK English dub."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:23 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:While I'm on the subject, can somebody educate me a bit more and tell me why there's a perceived need for two different Spanish dubs if the language is essentially the same?
The differences between European Spanish and Latin American Spanish are bigger than those between BE and AE. For example, they use different second-person plural pronouns (vosotros in Spain, ustedes in Latin America), which results in the different verb conjugations (vosotros sois, ustedes son). People in Spain too use ustedes as a second person plural, but it's used only if you respect the ones whom you're speaking to. The Latinos, on the other hand, never use vosotros, so Latin American Spanish lacks one conjugation that Spanish in Spain has.

FYI, they changed Chichi's name in the Latin Spanish dub because chichi refers to boobs in Mexico, which coincidentally corresponds to the original meaning in Japanese.
Last edited by kei17 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:36 pm

Better term would be New-Spanish or Neo-Spanish to correlate with the "New World"
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:43 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: This is particularly relevant to the "Dragon Ball" animes, because the general consensus seems to be that the Latin Spanish dub was vastly superior to the European Spanish dub on almost every front.
That´s correct!! Other thing, in Spain they have 2 o 3 different translations due to their different regions.

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:46 pm

kei17 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:While I'm on the subject, can somebody educate me a bit more and tell me why there's a perceived need for two different Spanish dubs if the language is essentially the same?
The differences between European Spanish and Latin American Spanish are bigger than those between BE and AE. For example, they use different second-person plural pronouns (vosotros in Spain, ustedes in Latin America), which results in the different verb conjugations (vosotros sois, ustedes son).
Yes, that´s correct too, but the most prominent difference ( in terms of taste ) between Latin American Spanish an European Spanish, is the pronunciation!! And then the voices.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Sorry for being off-topic, but incidentally, the Japanese language has only one version though some of its dialects differ from each other more than Spanish and Portuguese do.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:56 pm

kei17 wrote:
The differences between European Spanish and Latin American Spanish are bigger than those between BE and AE. For example, they use different second-person plural pronouns (vosotros in Spain, ustedes in Latin America), which results in the different verb conjugations (vosotros sois, ustedes son). People in Spain too use ustedes as a second person plural, but it's used only if you respect the ones whom you're speaking to. The Latinos, on the other hand, never use vosotros, so Latin American Spanish lacks one conjugation that Spanish in Spain has.

FYI, they changed Chichi's name in the Latin Spanish dub because chichi refers to boobs in Mexico, which coincidentally corresponds to the original meaning in Japanese.
Apart from linguistic I guess it would be also pain for releasing companies to produce dub using actors from two sides of the point or agree who makes it and who buy- even national versions of popular channels are de facto separated companies with large autonomy.

Generally dub trade is a rare case. It seems that's easier to make a new one, than buy rights for already made. IIRC French-speaking part of Belgium and Slovakia buy dubs from France and Czech respectively (but Disney being Disney makes an effort and pure Slovak version). On the other hand Winx Club in Czech alone had 3 dubs, 2 or 3 in Russia (Nick version of season 5 is considered inferior to CTC). In Poland Nick aired own dub of season 3 then old version of season 4 from Zig Zap then come back to own version with cut endings, untranslated opening and randomly translated insert songs. And don't even start with Rai/4Kids English dub. That's not I would complain- one multilanguage compmpilation of openings (1min30s) was for one and half hour and it still missed some versions:)

Back to dubs I wonder why latino dubbings seems universally better than their European counterparts, especially when it comes to songs. DBZ openings sounds like they had been written in this language.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:10 pm

The amazing adaptions of all Dragon Ball intros and endings were in charge of one woman called Loretta Santini during the "Golden Age" of Mexican Dub (80's-90's). She also worked on the adaptation of the intro/outro of Sailor Moon and Slam Dunk.

They placed special care with DB because the first dub was back in 93 was a catastrophe. They changed many MANY things including names and censoring a lot of the content. Bandai/Toei wasn't in the least amused with the terrible results and tried again under the direction of Gloria Rocha, a.k.a The Godmother (I'm not making this thing up, that's how all the dubbers call her). She's currently 81 years old and was working on dubbing since... 1958. This woman is a LEGEND. She also directed:

Sailor Moon (first 69 episodes)
Voltron
Robotech
Digimon Adventure (first season)
Slam Dunk (1-52)
Gulliver Boy
Kitaro

This time, with a new dub production with translation and adaptation by Jesús Vallejo, Dragon Ball was a complete HIT in all Latin America and... well... you know the rest. 8)
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:15 pm

First off, thanks so much everybody for clearing that question of mine up!
Eire wrote:Back to dubs I wonder why latino dubbings seems universally better than their European counterparts, especially when it comes to songs. DBZ openings sounds like they had been written in this language.
I don't know about that. Yes, I've heard some awesome Latino Spanish dubs of songs, but I've heard European Spanish dubs of songs that I (personally) consider to be better than the Latino Spanish counterparts. For example (with regard to "Dragon Ball")...

-The Spanish dubs of "Dan Dan" (I liked the European Spanish one better)
-The European Spanish version of "Hitori Janai," vs the Latino Spanish version of "Hitori Janai" (again, I liked the European Spanish version better)
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."