Were any of DB games considered for a GOTY award?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Were any of DB games considered for a GOTY award?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:45 am

Budokai 3, Tenkaichi 3, Burst Limit and Raging Blast 2 tend to be the ones who're most well respected games of the franchise but none ever came close for a GOTY award?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Were any of DB games considered for a GOTY award?

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:51 am

Took me a while to remember which game it was and dig it up, but...

30 November 2008 - "Burst Limit" Up For Spike TV Video Game Award

It obviously didn't win, but it was a nod. I know Budokai 3 got a lot of recognition in its day from most of the regular media outlets, like you said.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:00 pm

I remember Budokai 3 was nominated for best fighting game of 2004 on Gamespot, but lost to Mortal Kombat: Deception.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:41 pm

Budokai Tenkaichi 2 or 3 (can't remember which) was a nominee for "Best Wii Fighting Game" on IGN once I think.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:28 pm

Raging Blast 2 was never a well respected game. Whoever gave you that impression lied to you.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:41 pm

RB2 got mixed reviews from critics and fans. Just because a few people here like it that does not mean it is well respected. Also no DBZ game will get any GOTY award. Most people have a hard time taking DBZ seriously in the first place.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:24 pm

X-Play rewarded Sparking! NEO as the "Best Fighting of 2006"
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Weird how Burst Limit got a mention but it's much better predecessors didn't receive the same praise.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:53 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:X-Play rewarded Sparking! NEO as the "Best Fighting of 2006"
lol I remember that! I was going to post this earlier. R.I.P G4