New Facebook Dragon Ball hoax?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Re: New Facebook Dragon Ball hoax?

Post by omegalucas » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 am

Yeah, the Portuguese Dragon Ball Facebook pages (including the "official" page that has some of the voice actors actually posting there) have fallen prey to this new thing as well.
I've posted several comments explaining it's mainly a rumor, that it could happen based on the new revelations of Battle of Gods but it'd most likely be another film or a short series but no one seems to listen. :problem:
Everybody is taking that thing as an announcement. :|
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

astarisborn94

Post by astarisborn94 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Blade wrote:I hear it's called Dragonball NSFB.

That stands for Naked Sweaty Fan Boy
:lol:

Funniest thing I've read on this board. Imagine a series filled with super fanboys of the series.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm

samuraix123 wrote:If it's not on Kanzenshuu it's not real. :)
Indeed. Someone told me via I.M. (dammit, some of these word filters are ludicrous) that it was "confirmed" for the very reason stated in that graphic and, as should be expected, I called bullshit right away and checked Kanzenshuu to see if there was any mention at all.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Fakers, i'd rather see the real series than this trash he made up. Not even that close same fans think "GT doesn't exist" but it's part of the Dragon Ball timeline.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 pm

People hare falling too easily this days. Yesterday I visited my sister to watch Spartacus and Game of Thrones and she immediately asked me if I knew anything. Her boyfriend looked at me and said "I haven't found any other source. It is fake, right?"... "A new series? That Toriyama just claimed to do because the success of the movie?", "Yeah", "TOTALLY FAKE".. "I KNEW IT!! (is too good to be truth)"
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Oh god, the humanity...!!

The "news" was just shared by the official voice of Goku in Latin Spanish in Facebook!

DANGER DANGER

THE RUMOR HAS REACHED CRITICAL MASS!

It's expanding exponentially in the internet. Containment protocols have failed. Proceed with Order 66. I repeat, ORDER 66 IS NOW IN EFFECT.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:59 pm

soulnova wrote:Oh god, the humanity...!!

The "news" was just shared by the official voice of Goku in Latin Spanish in Facebook!

DANGER DANGER

THE RUMOR HAS REACHED CRITICAL MASS!

It's expanding exponentially in the internet. Containment protocols have failed. Proceed with Order 66. I repeat, ORDER 66 IS NOW IN EFFECT.
I'm now starting to wish I had bothered to translate that entire Q&A for next week's Jump; because I feel like that Q&A undoubtedly debunks the rumor/proves it is false.
But the text is too fuzzy; I can't tell what that last kanji is! T_T Also I'm probably the slowest translator here.

Unless someone who has an actual copy (or one in higher resolution) translates it sooner, this rumor's just gonna have to stew until Monday unfortunately. :(
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:49 pm

Unfortunately, the latest Q&A answer does nothing to help matters. It may even make them worse....
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:52 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:Unfortunately, the latest Q&A answer does nothing to help matters. It may even make them worse....
I don't know whether to be happy about that or just plain bummed out.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Incidentally, after a little digging, I found out a little tidbit about our Naked Sweaty Fanboy:
http://www.reddit.com/r/cringepics/comm ... returning/
TryingToUsurpSatan wrote:The bottom photoset is age-old. It's from Tumblr, I can't quite remember the context, but it's at least a year old and had nothing to do with Dragon Ball.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 pm

That's a little less embarrassing.... I guess?

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:13 pm

I was gonna start a topic about this but it looks like I don't need to. Yeah I have been hearing rumors about this new series as well. I was first informed by my Japanese teacher. I was like :eh: , why hasn't Kanzenshuu mentioned anything about this. Now I know it's just a rumor that happened to reach my Japanese teacher.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:23 am

This isn't really anything new, it's just the AF legend with a new skin like how it was Hoshi a couple of years back.

Famicon3DS
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Famicon3DS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 am

Actually this news is true! The new series will be called Dragon Ball WAYPSS Standing for "Why are you so stupid people?" :P
Joking aside though, When a official voice actor or something similar shares this, THIS HAS GONE WAY TOO FAR.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:44 pm

I have been doing damage control on my contact list asking them to not get their hopes too high and that it was surely a mistranslation. They know that if there's anything official, I'd be the first one to let them know by going crazy and talking in all caps.

EDIT: BTW, has the 8th question from the QA been translated already? Is it too vague?

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm at the point with this where I'm not even correcting people anymore. Let them believe it, they're only setting themselves up for disappointment.

Interestingly, a friend brought up a good point that if this becomes large enough of a viral hit then it's only going to strengthen the argument to Toei to make more Dragonball. World-wide publicity is indicative of consumer demand, and that normally has people scrambling to try and make money out of it.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Blade wrote:I'm at the point with this where I'm not even correcting people anymore. Let them believe it, they're only setting themselves up for disappointment.

Interestingly, a friend brought up a good point that if this becomes large enough of a viral hit then it's only going to strengthen the argument to Toei to make more Dragonball. World-wide publicity is indicative of consumer demand, and that normally has people scrambling to try and make money out of it.
Well it worked for AF! Wait... that didn't sound right... :think:

Spreading hoaxes probably isn't the best way to convince a company to make something new.

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Eddie wrote:
Blade wrote:I'm at the point with this where I'm not even correcting people anymore. Let them believe it, they're only setting themselves up for disappointment.

Well it worked for AF! Wait... that didn't sound right... :think:

Spreading hoaxes probably isn't the best way to convince a company to make something new.
I never endorsed spreading it, I merely reflected upon a possible up-side to the fact that it appears to be spreading uncontrollably. The AF rumour was never a viral, singular event but instead an undercurrent carried between communities, first in Japan, and then around the world after GT finished airing. As such its span and relevance to present-day marketing decisions is somewhat useless. Keep in mind that the AF rumour is as old as 1997.

Viral marketing is a big thing these days. When something is current, it's relevant to anyone who's looking to make money.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:52 pm

The thing is, we live in the age of the Internet. Having the whole fan-base screaming for a new series all over won't guaranty money, since it's very easy to find an episode or movie on the Internet for free download in high quality. Firstly, they need to know if the loyal fans will also be loyal costumers.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:11 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:The thing is, we live in the age of the Internet. Having the whole fan-base screaming for a new series all over won't guaranty money, since it's very easy to find an episode or movie on the Internet for free download in high quality. Firstly, they need to know if the loyal fans will also be loyal costumers.
The truth is that anything outside of Toei's base demographic (Japanese speakers) is essentially the responsibility of the companies such as Funimation who license the product. Awareness of the size and range of a fanbase in a certain regions gives Toei their biggest bargaining chip when it comes to selling distribution rights.