Black-White/Color Effect in Doomrider project

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Black-White/Color Effect in Doomrider project

Post by Jord » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:33 am

I've got a question about a effect in the Cell games part of the Doomrider project, but it's also in other bits of the video I think.
Anyway, the entire screen is displayed in black-and white except for a small part, in this case Gohan's head with Goku's hands upon his shoulders at the 5.43 mark. Later we see Gohan in color with a black and white background.

How did you do this? Did you simply cut the frames or is there a special way/effect/magic trick to realize this?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Black-White/Color Effect in Doomrider project

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:36 am

Jord wrote:I've got a question about a effect in the Cell games part of the Doomrider project, but it's also in other bits of the video I think.
Anyway, the entire screen is displayed in black-and white except for a small part, in this case Gohan's head with Goku's hands upon his shoulders at the 5.43 mark. Later we see Gohan in color with a black and white background.

How did you do this? Did you simply cut the frames or is there a special way/effect/magic trick to realize this?
There's no magic to it. It's frame-by-frame masking. Our friend Jeff actually did all of the "special effects" in our Cell Game track, and I know he did it all in After Effects. Pen tool, masks, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Meri
The Wife

Re: Black-White/Color Effect in Doomrider project

Post by Meri » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:54 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Jord wrote:I've got a question about a effect in the Cell games part of the Doomrider project, but it's also in other bits of the video I think.

There's no magic to it. It's frame-by-frame masking. Our friend Jeff actually did all of the "special effects" in our Cell Game track, and I know he did it all in After Effects. Pen tool, masks, etc.
He very well could have used the "color key" effect. It's when you can change the color of certain user-defined colors. He may have used it multiple times to gray-out multiple colors. Masking's a definite possibility, too.