What is your top 5 character designs in Dragonball/Z/GT

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

What is your top 5 character designs in Dragonball/Z/GT

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat May 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Here's the list of my favorite character design. List yours in the comments.

1. Image

I love Yamcha in his bandit outfit much more then his orange suit outfit. It makes him more badass. Yamcha long hair with that outfit is awesome. I didn't like it with Short hair. But in Path of power the animation was beautiful. When Yamcha did his wolf fang fist in POP the art looked so good. Amazingly done by the animators.

2. Image

Future Gohan just got that Stone Cold look in his face. His character matches his design. I admit Future Gohan is over rated but his design was so well made I like it more then Adult Gohan design. His hair is amazing mix of Chi Chi and Goku which makes sense. His scars and wounds shows his warrior side. The way his face is drawn is a mix of SSJ Goku and Kid Gohan's face.

3. Image

Freeza looks so bland it makes his character scarier and more forceful. His first 3 forms is a perfect mix of a bastard and a dictator. When I look at Freeza it reminds me of Alien and Predator. His plain look just fits his character so well.

4. Image

Kid Goku looks amazing. In his blue outfit and his orange gi. I love how his face looks so innocent even when he's fighting. It just so pear hearten I bet his heart is white. The amazing feature is his chubby-ness. Goku baby fat makes him like a child that never grows up which fits his character a lot. Did I mention his smile is classic? Image

5. Image

I bet no one saw this coming ^_^. Guldo's design is undercover badass. His 3 eyes is just funny to see and look at. The way he looks whenn surprised is amazingly done. I believe his design is under-rated. The way he looks and run is cool to see and not common in dbz. The way his body is shape makes what Vegeta say in Video games. His body stinks and has a weird odor. I think that should have been played up more in dbz.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: What is your top 5 character designs in Dragonball/Z/GT

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:10 pm

5. Image
This guy got so much hype, then he appeared, and he's some hipster Grandpa. And he's awesome.

4. Image
I was expecting some over the top, giant haired monstrocity, but this ended up so much better.

3. Image
Not a big fan of the character later on, but she was awesome in this arc. Goku's a pretty lucky guy :thumbup:

2. Image
My favorite filler character design. I think the Kaioshin look pretty cool in general, and this one is definitely my favorite.

1. Image
This guy is such a badass, that he can pull off a turban. Top that.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat May 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:5. Image
This guy got so much hype, then he appeared, and he's some hipster Grandpa. And he's awesome.

4. Image
I was expecting some over the top, giant haired monstrocity, but this ended up so much better.

3. Image
Not a big fan of the character later on, but she was awesome in this arc. Goku's a pretty lucky guy :thumbup:

2. Image
My favorite filler character design. I think the Kaioshin look pretty cool in general, and this one is definitely my favorite.

1. Image
This guy is such a badass, that he can pull off a turban. Top that.
Grand Kai design is awesome. Super Saiyan God is a 3/5. Not good but no as bad as people say it is. Nice change of pace for saiyans transformation.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat May 04, 2013 9:23 pm

1. Giru and other robots of Giru ilk - Robots are cool. Toriyama bots are cooler. I guess the Pilaf Gang's mech suits would also fall into this category. And all those little buggers on planet M2 in GT.
2. Majin Buu - He's very involved, and yet at the same time so simple. I guess I'm just shallow and the characters packed with more stuff appeal to me.
3. Perfect Cell - More or less the same reasons I like Buu. A weird middle ground between convoluted and simplistic was found here, and really with all of Cell's forms. A camouflage pattern, a strange stinger tail, "wings," the trademark Toriyama "monster ears..." A real spaghetti monster.
4. Son Goku - If you don't like looking at Goku, how could you read this comic?! The kame dougi helps, so you could throw Kuririn and Yamcha in here.
5. Butta - He is a... snake? Oh, and no pupils, so that's pretty different among the many Freeza soldiers who are simply odd-colored humanoids. I may or may not have chosen my username because of Butta; I don't remember.

Honorary mention: Janenba. Was it Toriyama or Yamamuro who designed him? He's fairly unoriginal and reminiscent of Freeza, Cell, and Majin Buu, but I like to think to make up for this, he was just given batshit insane powers. Creating portals, breaking apart into technicolor cubes, and a sword. What? You see no correlation between those things? Shut up and just watch him be cool.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat May 04, 2013 9:35 pm

B wrote:1. Giru and other robots of Giru ilk - Robots are cool. Toriyama bots are cooler. I guess the Pilaf Gang's mech suits would also fall into this category. And all those little buggers on planet M2 in GT.
2. Majin Buu - He's very involved, and yet at the same time so simple. I guess I'm just shallow and the characters packed with more stuff appeal to me.
3. Perfect Cell - More or less the same reasons I like Buu. A weird middle ground between convoluted and simplistic was found here, and really with all of Cell's forms. A camouflage pattern, a strange stinger tail, "wings," the trademark Toriyama "monster ears..." A real spaghetti monster.
4. Son Goku - If you don't like looking at Goku, how could you read this comic?! The kame dougi helps, so you could throw Kuririn and Yamcha in here.
5. Butta - He is a... snake? Oh, and no pupils, so that's pretty different among the many Freeza soldiers who are simply odd-colored humanoids. I may or may not have chosen my username because of Butta; I don't remember.

Honorary mention: Janenba. Was it Toriyama or Yamamuro who designed him? He's fairly unoriginal and reminiscent of Freeza, Cell, and Majin Buu, but I like to think to make up for this, he was just given batshit insane powers. Creating portals, breaking apart into technicolor cubes, and a sword. What? You see no correlation between those things? Shut up and just watch him be cool.
Tadayoshi Yamamuro made Janemba. You realize that too? His body is similar TO Freeza's. The body features of Cell. The attacks of Buu.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat May 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Thinning it down to just 5 could be hard, but...

1. Son Gohan, Boo arc. My favourite design for any Saiyan. :D

2. Imperfect Cell. He looks best in his form, frightening and awesome at the same time.

3. Majin Boo, all forms.

4. Maouji Vegeta, the eyeliner makes him look badass.

5. Cooler Final Form.

Honorary mentions go to: Super Baby 2, Super Janemba, Broli and Nakatsuru's original Bardock design (would have preferred that over being identical to Goku).

@B I thought it came from Bleach. :lol:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat May 04, 2013 9:59 pm

Yardrat Goku: The design of the Yardratian clothes is awesome and just looks overall unique compared to most other designs I've seen. Goku looks especially good while he's a SSJ in these clothes. I'm kind of disappointed Goku didn't wear this more than that one time, at least to mix things up for a change.

Bardock: This character screams badass even if he isn't that strong. Any person who runs head-on to fight Freeza who is obviously a superior enemy in the name of fighting for his/her people has got to be one of the coolest. But his personality isn't the only thing to sell it. Bardock is probably the only character, in my opinion, to pull of a scar extremely well. I just don't get the same coolness factor from Yamcha than I do from Bardock. Even Mirai Gohan doesn't really pull it off very well. Maybe its an amalgamation of the scar with the Saiyan armour and the blood-soaked bandana which make Bardock look amazing but he clearly looks the part for being part of a warrior race.

SSJ2 Gohan(Cell Games): Possibly the greatest distinction between the SSJ and SSJ2 forms I have seen. Gohan just looks like what his heritage is all about, being a warrior. Coupled with his design his demonstration of his abilities were spine-chilling to say the least. If I had to say anything that could top this then it would be him wearing his fathers gi in Bojack Unbound.

Bilus: Possibly the most interesting character design we've had. His design brings forth in me a lot of mixed feelings when I look at him. In some respects I can see him as a menacing character, but in others I can see a playful and humorous side to him. I also get a feeling of him being above other characters, as in his character fits the part of being called a god.

Mirai Trunks: An awesome introduction into the cast, even if it wasn't for long. His design isn't very unique but he has the best looking design for a character that has a blander design. His clothes sell him as being an Earthling but at the same time are reminiscent of clothes you'd associate with a "bad boy". He just oozes cool for a character who has not much going on in his design.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:03 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Here's the list of my favorite character design. List yours in the comments.

2. Image

Future Gohan just got that Stone Cold look in his face. His character matches his design. I admit Future Gohan is over rated but his design was so well made I like it more then Adult Gohan design. His hair is amazing mix of Chi Chi and Goku which makes sense. His scars and wounds shows his warrior side. The way his face is drawn is a mix of SSJ Goku and Kid Gohan's face.
I personally think Future Gohan has the best SSJ look (when its not the front flip hair style). Though its best shown in Raging Blast 2.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat May 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Saiga wrote: Honorary mentions go to: Super Baby 2, Super Janemba, Broli and Nakatsuru's original Bardock design (would have preferred that over being identical to Goku).

@B I thought it came from Bleach. :lol:
Really? I think Akira's Bardock design is better for the fact Raditz said "You look just like our father". Plus that Bardock looked a little fat lol :lol:

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat May 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that. I still don't like Bardock having an identical hairstyle, they could have differentiated it a little without going as far as Nakatsuru did.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 04, 2013 11:11 pm

I do like Chichi's dress at the Twenty-Third Tenka'ichi Budoukai. It's very Chinese. I also like Blooma's outfit from the Twenty-First Tenka'ichi Budoukai, the one with the maroon sweater.

When it comes to men, I love the coloring choice for Gokuu's dougi at the Twenty-Third Tenka'ichi Budoukai. Making the background of the Kame symbol yellow is something you don't see much else of in the franchise, so it sticks out. I also really liked Captain Yellow's design and Amond's design. Yellow has a classic airmen look to him while Amond's battle jacket has those cool spikes on them!
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat May 04, 2013 11:16 pm

Saiga wrote:Oh yeah, totally forgot about that. I still don't like Bardock having an identical hairstyle, they could have differentiated it a little without going as far as Nakatsuru did.
I'll say similar to Cell games Gohan, Kid Goku styled, slightly longer hair similar to SSJ4(Which wasn't at at the time), or Turles. They didn't have to look 100% alike. But The hair as you said should've been slightly differ

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat May 04, 2013 11:19 pm

1.) Piccolo
2.) Birusu
3.) Cooler
4.) Bardock
5.) Adolescent Gohan
Honorable mentions: Majin Veget, Majin Buu, West Kaioshin, Mirai Trunks, and Janemba.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Eisen

Post by Eisen » Tue May 07, 2013 2:46 am

Oh yes, I am glad this thread exists.

5. Future Trunks. His short hair has the best Super Saiyan hair.
4. Cooler ultimate form.
3. Buutenks/Super Buuhan/Super Buu. Not only does he look awesome, but his character is so fun to watch, too.
2. Young-teen Gohan. He's adorable, really. More reasons below.
1. Piccolo, because badass. I've always liked his armor and clothing. Looks good on Gohan too, imo.

CobraCookiez

Post by CobraCookiez » Wed May 08, 2013 12:43 pm

These aren't in order. It was super hard to narrow it down to 5, let alone trying to put them in order.

Supreme Kai. That mohawk is awesome and what a beeeeautiful shade of purple. :P I was real upset when he fused with Kibito and got all fugly.

Majin Vegeta. Yeah I know it's just Vegeta with an M on his forehead and eyeliner but there's something about it I really like.

Shenlong. Besides Goku he is THE face of the Dragonball franchise. He's super cool to look at.

Bulma as she first appears in Dragonball. She's really recognizable and her bow is adorable.

Aaaaaand short haired Future Trunks

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu May 09, 2013 6:46 am

Oh, fuck, I forgot Shenron. Knock Coola Final Form out and replace him with Shenron. :mrgreen: