"gozaru" ? ("Rurouni Kenshin" Question)

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

"gozaru" ? ("Rurouni Kenshin" Question)

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:34 am

Julian may be able to answer this one. Anyone who's seen RK at all knows Kenshin ends each sentence with "gozaru". Media Blasters translates it into "that i am" or something to that extent. I've heard it cant even be translated into English because it doesnt mean anything, its just a way of talking. If this is true, why did Media Blasters bother to add anything in?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:40 pm

I believe there's actually a decent description in the liner notes of the first DVD volume. I don't have that in front of me, but anyway...

I believe it's just a really, really, archaic way of ending sentences in an extremely polite way. Kenshin's character has taken such an extreme change of personality since his Hitokiri days before the Meiji Restoration / Revolution (hah, I wrote a paper four years ago on whether or not it was a Revolution vs. Restoration...), that his actual way of speaking has changed, as well.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:45 pm

Early chapters of the manga I read had him start every sentence with "My pardons," so I guess that was just one translator's take on that.

"My pardons, but are you going to eat that sandwich?" No, I don't believe Kenshin ever said that.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:09 pm

Actually, he ends his sentences with "de gozaru". Gozaru is one of the old archaic Group-IV verbs that are only used today in their polite forms (which, in the case of gozaru, is gozaimasu). Gozaru is an honorific existential verb, which means "de gozaru" is an honorific version of "de aru", which is a longer version of the copula "da".

Err, anyway, to use "de gozaru" is to basically humble yourself and talk up to everyone else. It's the way all samurai spoke. Cyan spoke like that in the Japanese version of Final Fantasy VI, though it was translated into Old English in the US version (IE "thou") rather than "that I am" and whatnot.

It's noteworthy that when Kenshin gets all mean and serious (I don't know what people call that), he stops saying "de gozaru" and uses standard mean, tough guy language, and calls himself "ore" instead of "sessha".