What if the Sagas was rearranged?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

What if the Sagas was rearranged?

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Instead of the regular format it went
Goku Saga
Early Tourney Arc(Training)
Fortuneteller Baba Saga
2nd half of Tourney Arc(The tourney itself)
Red Ribbon Army Arc
Piccolo Arc
-----------------
Cell Arc
Gero seeks revenge early. He still creates the androids(weaker) and Cell happens. NO SSJ but instead similar fighting style as Dragonball. Gohan kills both androids by showing his hidden power. The other fighters get some hits in and have great moments when they was doing better then Goku for awhile.

Buu Arc
Back to being goofy gag manga. Goku defeats Gero(again apparently =/.). The wizard used to Ki for energy for Boo(Clearly weaker and not as old.). He unleash Buu and the Z fighters(Dragonball Hunters) fight him and his minions. Main Villain is The Wizard and Pure Boo. Minions are Fat Boo, Grey Boo, and Super Boo. Master Roshi have an epic battle with Super Boo. Tien and Yamcha fight Grey Buu. Krillin has a funny but good fight with Fight Boo. Goku have a great fight with Pure Boo. He uses the feet kamehameha again which catches Boo off guard. Goku then defeats him. The wizard beg for his life and they let him free but a random attack kills him leaving everyone confused. Goku learning about Gohan's hidden power trains him(Much to Chi Chi dismay). Due to peace for the next 5 years Goku still trains but Gohan trains less. As he spends most of his time studying but still find time to train so he won't get weaker.

Saiyan Arc
Everything happens the same except Gohan is sad that Goku's dead rather then crying cause he's helpless, his father died, he's stuck with Piccolo(when he first met him), and the apples are sour. Gohan begins to train to be as strong as his dad. Piccolo deciding to kill Gohan to prevent Gohan and Goku killing him. Piccolo fights Gohan but much to his surprise Gohan holds his own. Causing Piccolo to respect Gohan and their friendship starts. Everything else happen the same

Freeza Arc
Everything happens the same but Vegeta stays dead and Goku didn't escape Namek. Gohan goes to a deep depression and a statue of Goku is build in memory of him. Goku stays dead to train and promise to return some-day. Gohan decides he will become as strong as his father was and begin training. Testing his skills in tourneys on other planets. Chi Chi accepts Gohan to take Goku's place. 7 years later Gohan then beat up simple villains such as wild boar, Bank robbers , and other easy villains. Gohan realizing the Earth is safe ask Bulma Dad to make him a ship so he can travel to save other planets as his father did with Earth. Gohan then senses a familiar energy from 7 years ago. Mecha Freeza has arrived! With bigger news...his Father! Gohan, Yamcha, Krillin, and Tien(Who kept training under Goku's request) travel to the energy and sense Freeza's Father. King Cold. Each of the fighters is beaten to a near death state. Goku words reaching Gohan head and Gohan stand back up. Gohan turns ssj and Beat King Cold. Yamcha, Krillin, and Tien learns that Gohan is just like Goku and ask if they can join him on his journey and say "We don't want you to become to much stronger then us now that you're a SSJ" and Gohan laughs. Bulma ask to come to make it more like old times and Chi Chi goes along to watch over Gohan.

Okay I know this turned into a What if. But this confused me. Should I have put this in fan-made or keep it here. I'm asking if the arcs was rearranged would this happen? Which is in-universe but this got aspects of what If. I based this off of the idea of rumors of Gohan being the strongest non fused character, the original name for Dbz anime(Dragonball: Gohan adventure), and how I organized the arc. If this belongs in fan-made then place tell me or move it. If it belongs here then what do you think? Had the saga been like this would his had happen?

Legendary Saiya-Jin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What if the Sagas was rearranged?

Post by Legendary Saiya-Jin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:36 pm

This is pretty interesting; I've thought of the same thing, with Majin Buu being arranged as an earlier arc and Freeza being the last.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:48 pm

I always thought the Artificial Human/Cell arcs would be (more) interesting placed at the beginning of Z.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:56 pm

A friend of mine used to say that it would be cool if the Cell and the Boo arcs were rearranged. He felt like Cell should be last because he had everyones abilities and what not.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:18 pm

Legendary Saiya-Jin wrote:This is pretty interesting; I've thought of the same thing, with Majin Buu being arranged as an earlier arc and Freeza being the last.
Majin boo would have been a good arc to start with. Since the last 2 arcs was the serious tone. We needed a funny arc. Someone wanting to Kill Goku from RRA could have been the first because it makes sense. Freeza they way I explained it in the topic would have been a good way to past the torch from Goku to Gohan and for new arcs(1 or 2 more) to come up

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:19 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:A friend of mine used to say that it would be cool if the Cell and the Boo arcs were rearranged. He felt like Cell should be last because he had everyones abilities and what not.
That's true.

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:35 am

Ending with Freeza, only a single SSJ transformation, and Goku dying, would have been a pretty deep ending IMO. Too bad that's not how AT rolls.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:26 am

Draken wrote:Ending with Freeza, only a single SSJ transformation, and Goku dying, would have been a pretty deep ending IMO. Too bad that's not how AT rolls.
Going by what I said. That would have lead to future arcs

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:24 am

Would be a really awesome fanfic I'll give you that.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:06 am

This would be the perfect what if for a video game, instead of story mode.... again...
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:02 pm

I think that Buu should still be last. He's an ancient god eating monster and therefore would logically be the "final boss". I think what I would do is either rework or cut out Cell and place the android saga at the beginning. The androids would be weaker of course, with the strongest being around Raditz, and the main cast would also be stronger when Raditz arrives, bot not really to the point where it would affect the outcome of that saga (for example, Piccolo would go from 408 to like 980, still weak enough to get stomped by 1,500 Raditz). No time travel bull. No last minute villain changes. No crazy old men with inexplicably ultra advanced technology. No punk teenagers stronger than the emperor of the galaxy, feared throughout the universe, feared by the Kaios. The androids would all be weaker than their equivalents (i.e. the Saibamen) in the advanced galactic empire.

During this saga, Piccolo would be forced into an alliance of convenience, and steadily become less and less evil. His turn won't be fully realized until the end of the saiyan arc. With two sagas to develop, I think it would be better, so IMO his original turn just kind of came out of nowhere.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:43 am

Draken wrote:Ending with Freeza, only a single SSJ transformation, and Goku dying, would have been a pretty deep ending IMO. Too bad that's not how AT rolls.
As much stuff in the post-Freeza Z (and GT) there is that I enjoy (and there's a fair amount), I still can't help but feel this ending would have been the best. Freeza really felt like a "end boss", as he was the cause of the entire series.

Slightly off-topic: Dragon Ball is, in a strange way, just as much Freeza's story as it is Goku's. I mean, think about it. Freeza was a critical component in creating Cell, Abo and Kado are his minions, and Birusu is attracted to Goku because of his fight with Freeza. And then, of course, the entire story is caused by Freeza's actions, both directly and indirectly, if we take the Bardock special as canon. Everything in Goku's life, and the story of Dragon Ball, is at the whim of Freeza. And the stories even after Freeza's death still feel the aftershocks of his influence.

IDreamtIWasABee
Beyond Newbie

Post by IDreamtIWasABee » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:01 pm

There's a case to be made for swapping Boo and Cell: the Boo saga is a better follow-up to the Freeza Saga.

1. The battle is celestial, heavenly-as it should be, since Goku just transcended mortal limits and overcame the deadliest creature in the universe because of it. He needs to hang out with heavy hitting godlings and angels, not become emeshed in petty squabbles on earth. This ties in closely with. . .
2. SSJs getting some respect. I'm not the type who wishes Goku was the one and only Legendary SSJ, but dammit, being a SSJ should *mean* something. And I'm not just talking about the first transformation; I'm talking about anticipation, facing worthy foes, going down respectably, that sort of stuff. So what do we expect after Goku returns to Earth after killing Freeza? Something like the confrontations in Bobbity's spaceship: Goku giving us a glimpse of 'the light' when he kills Yakon, Vegeta seething quietly after witnessing it, and, as Goku's first true opponent, he faces Vegeta-for what could challenge a SSJ but another SSJ?
3. Majin Boo, meanwhile, is exactly the kind of villain we want to see after Freeza. You can't follow up Darth Vader with Darth Vader, and you can't follow Freeza with Cell-you need someone who is his polar opposite. Boo is about as different from Freeza as you can imagine. And because Boo's power lies in his ridiculous regenerative abilities and magic, it's actually *visibly* believable to the audience that he could outlast the celestial Super Saiyan spoken of in legend.
4. But the last, and most important, reason for the Boo story to take place before the Androids arrive is because while the scope of the war waged is celestial, the human story at its core is relatively small-scale. That might sound strange to say, since the saga prominently features SSJs battling and Boo blowing up earth, but because the core of the story is the relationship between Goku and Vegeta, it feels more personal, rather than the grand save-the-world story we went through on Namek.

Unfortunately, ending the series with Cell raises more problems than it's worth, but it's still interesting to consider.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:29 am

As much stuff in the post-Freeza Z (and GT) there is that I enjoy (and there's a fair amount), I still can't help but feel this ending would have been the best. Freeza really felt like a "end boss", as he was the cause of the entire series.
I agree.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:43 pm

It's weird after all these years as a fan, I've never really given proper thought to how the series would be with all the arcs re-arranged. But some the scenarios in this thread really make for interesting reading, and I'm totally up for the idea of this kinda thing being fleshed out in a story mode in a video game, if not in a full-remake in anime form.