New Member - need help in buying DBZ OST CDs

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:32 am

Simply chip your ps2, that's the most reliable and you can play games from Japan as well as Europe and the US.

Webon

HEY!

Post by Webon » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:51 pm

Yeah, that's what I did.

I chipped my PS2 and I imported Sparking! (No bootleg! Real thing from www.playasia.com)

What A HUGE DIFFERENCE! The game is so awesome! Another thing is that the music really makes a great impact on the overall presentation of the game.

Anyways, I want to thank D EX, for the support and the council. And you guys for putting of with me.

Thanks

A fellow DBZ junkie
"What is a man, but a man who tries to make the world a better place"

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:18 pm

Jord wrote:Simply chip your ps2, that's the most reliable and you can play games from Japan as well as Europe and the US.
Don't go telling people the wrong things, Jord. Chipping is not only unreliable, but it's illegal.

You should note the cons involved with chipping, namely:

- The possibility of screwing up your system.
- The illegality.
- The inherint, and likely possibility of your console not playing some, or all US games.

Currently swap disc (while not a whole lot safer than chipping,) is the safest, and only legal way to play import games, short of buying a Japanese PS2.

Webon

Post by Webon » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:08 pm

Well yeah...that's what I did. :lol: Anyways, the game KICKS major @$$!!!

Once again, I want to thank everyone here for putting up with me, and I hope to contribute a lot to the community.
"What is a man, but a man who tries to make the world a better place"

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:13 am

lost in thought wrote:Don't go telling people the wrong things, Jord. Chipping is not only unreliable, but it's illegal.

You should note the cons involved with chipping, namely:

- The possibility of screwing up your system.
- The illegality.
- The inherint, and likely possibility of your console not playing some, or all US games.

Currently swap disc (while not a whole lot safer than chipping,) is the safest, and only legal way to play import games, short of buying a Japanese PS2.
Actually, if you wanna be perfectly honest, importing games at all is technically illegal due to the fact that Japanese software is licensed only for Japan (hence my import games all saying, "FOR JAPAN ONLY" on their rear cover), it's just not a huge thing and most places will export to the U.S., but some won't like Amazon if memory serves. And any action which enables you to overide the copy/region protection on a console/DVD player is illegal, whether it's a swap disc or a chip. Just being honest with you.

As for chips, as the owner of two chipped consoles in the past 8 years (chipped PSX, and a PS2 with a DMS3 chip), I advocate them to the fullest. I've never had any problems with either, keeping in mind that both were installed by competant individuals, and I've played plenty of imports on both. The only "problems" I've had were when backing up my own games (mainly limited releases) onto media that the PSX/PS2 didn't like, which was remedied by research and recopying onto better discs.

Moreover, all chips worth even considering have 'stealth mode' functions, wherein you can deactivate the chip entirely and play a game without any problems (I had to do this, which involves holding down one button while booting, for MGS3 in order to download some content). So, that's a moot point as well.

In conclusion? Importing is illegal. The only perfectly legal way to get anything is to buy a copy licensed for the United States/Region 1. However, since customs won't give you hell unless you're importing bootlegs, it's not something to worry about too much. Your means of getting it to play is your own business, and a chip is as good a means as any as long as the chip is good quality and the installer knows what they are doing. Just keep in mind, your warranty will be gone, and you will be technically breaking the law by circumventing protections built into the system.

'Kay?

-Corey