Isn't the Mafuba kind of inconsistent?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Isn't the Mafuba kind of inconsistent?

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:53 am

It is said that if you use the technique; the Mafuba can endanger your life. However, Tenshinhan is shown practicing using the Mafuba in a few panels of the manga. So you don't die if you're just practicing for the real usage of it? It's even more confusing in the anime when Tenshinhan does get the chance of using it on Piccolo, and he doesn't die afterwards. :|

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Isn't the Mafuba kind of inconsistent?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:54 am

theawesomepossum777 wrote:It is said that if you use the technique; the Mafuba can endanger your life. However, Tenshinhan is shown practicing using the Mafuba in a few panels of the manga. So you don't die if you're just practicing for the real usage of it? It's even more confusing in the anime when Tenshinhan does get the chance of using it on Piccolo, and he doesn't die afterwards. :|
If you're strong enough, you can survive it. Kami wasn't worried about dying when he used it in the 23rd Budokai.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:33 am

Can't remember if it was anime only or not but didn't KP say the reason was cause Drum went and knocked KP out of the way which for somehow some reason saved both of their lives?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:37 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
theawesomepossum777 wrote:It is said that if you use the technique; the Mafuba can endanger your life. However, Tenshinhan is shown practicing using the Mafuba in a few panels of the manga. So you don't die if you're just practicing for the real usage of it? It's even more confusing in the anime when Tenshinhan does get the chance of using it on Piccolo, and he doesn't die afterwards. :|
If you're strong enough, you can survive it. Kami wasn't worried about dying when he used it in the 23rd Budokai.
Makes you wonder why no one thought to try it against Buu...
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Draken wrote:Can't remember if it was anime only or not but didn't KP say the reason was cause Drum went and knocked KP out of the way which for somehow some reason saved both of their lives?
I don't know about any of that but Tenshinhan never tried using it because he broke the rice cooker when he was practicing the technique.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Anime _ if you're strong it'll not hurt you to death.
Manga_ He Broke that shit.
Personal Canon: What happen to this attack? Tien could have used it on Boo.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:56 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Anime _ if you're strong it'll not hurt you to death.
Manga_ He Broke that shit.
Your manga anime explanation is the best that we can come up with for the manga as well. Either that, or God intended to kill that guy by using his body, but I highly doubt that since he was disappointed that he damaged it when he was hit by Yamcha's Sokidan.

Edit: Since we're talking about it:
Daizenshuu 7 Special Attack Dictionary wrote:Mafuuba [Demon Seal Wave]
First Appearance: Chapter 135
Category: special
People: God, Kame-sennin, Tenshinhan, Mutaito
Special Characteristics: A secret art which Kame-sennin’s master, Mutaito, devised in order to seal up Piccolo Daimao, the incarnation of evil. Firing all one’s life energy from the palm of your hands, this creates a violent, spiraling wind which draws in the opponent, sealing them like this into an airtight container affixed with magic charms. A normal person will perish when they use this secret art. Kame-sennin fired it at the revived Piccolo Daimao in exchange for his own life, but it ultimately failed. (Daizenshuu 2, p.207/Daizenshuu 4, p.113)

Reverse~
First Appearance: Chapter 181
Category: ki manipulation
People: Piccolo
Special Characteristics: A technique where he seals up his opponent by firing an even more powerful Mafuuba than theirs. At the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai, Kami was himself sealed within a small bottle affixed with charms when he tried to seal up Piccolo. (Daizenshuu 2, p.208)
So it makes sense that it kills anyone as strong as or weaker than Kame Sen'nin was at the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, give or take the gap between him and God.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:13 pm

Perhaps it costs you more of your "life force" when you use it against a stronger opponent. Thus Muten Roshi died because he was far weaker than King Piccolo, Tenshinhan was fine just by practicing with it, Piccolo Jr didn't have anything to fear against Kami, etc...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Yeah, maybe it won't kill you at all if you use it on someone weaker than yourself, thereby letting you get by by using less life energy. But you can seal away opponents much stronger than yourself if you use all you've got, even though you're much, much weaker.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:39 pm

This could have all been avoided if Toriyama had included someone saying that a fighter can survive using the technique if he is strong enough (like Kami when he used or after he used it). He didn't but since it makes perfect sense that's my explanation for it.