First Dragon Ball movie you saw in Japanese?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

First Dragon Ball movie you saw in Japanese?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm

So what was the first Dragon Ball movie you saw in Japanese? For me, it was DBZ Movie 8 back in 2001. I remember I was at the Arundel Mills mall in the food court and there was a little table that had a lot of cool Japanese stuff. That table had a little TV playing DBZ Movie 8 with no subs and I asked the guy when the movie is coming out in the US. He was like "Not for another few more years kid" and I was kinda upset that I had to wait to see it. Then sometime later that year, I went to the Owings Mills to go to my favorite store which also sold a lot of cool Japanese stuff and the TV was playing DBZ Movie 8. They had DBZ movies for sale with fansubs on VHS and I used my money to buy my copy of the film. I rushed home to see it and the movie was totally worth it back then. As a kid, I heard about Broli but I wanted to see if the rumors about him were true or not.

I miss the days when stores for niche stuff was common in public malls since the Columbia mall also had a neat collectors shop upstairs (Now some shoe store) back in the late 90's.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: First Dragon Ball movie you saw in Japanese?

Post by G1Ravage » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:30 pm

That's a good question. I'm trying to remember when I purchased the Pioneer DVD's for Movies 1-3. Or where I got them from. My first anime DVD *ever* was Ginyu - Assault. I'm assuming that the first movie FUNi put out themselves was Movie 4. I'm pretty sure I already had 1-3 on DVD before that.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Dragon Ball movie 1 a few months ago since I'm going through the whole series in Japanese in order and am placing the movies in between the episodes it did originally.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:35 pm

It had to be one of the movies put out by Pioneer. I can't remember which one though. Probably the first one, but I'm not positive.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:47 pm

My first VHS fansubs were in 1997, and they were DBZ TV episodes 94-104 (two tapes of six episodes each; Anime Labs version). A friend and I did a tape trade with a random person from a random message board or newsgroup posting. I actually have no real recollection of how we got in touch with them. We traded three tapes worth of the syndicated English dub airing (remember, there was no home release of it yet) for two tapes of the original Japanese version.

I ordered three tapes SASE from "Capsule Corp." distro on my own... it must have been early 1998...? It couldn't have been TOO much earlier than that, because it included raw recordings of DBGT 59, 61-64 (and that just aired in November 1997) along with Bardock + Trunks specials and DBZ Movies 11 + 12 (the latter two tapes being fansubbed).

So, technically speaking, I think my first DBZ movie in its entirety in Japanese ('cuz I had been watching clips online for a while) was DBZ Movie 11.

I don't understand how I made it as far as I did. Probably 'cuz Movie 12 came on immediately after and saved me?

(Very unsure of the timeframe. I definitely picked up DBZ Movies 1-3 subtitled from the FUNimation/Pioneer collaboration, and DBZ Movie 1 came out in late 1997 with the second and third in early 1998, but I do specifically remember picking them up dubbed first because that's all my local video store was stocking for a while.)

Time is confusing.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Movie 13, before Funimation dubbed it. It was like a year before they dubbed it and it was in parts on youtube in terrible quality. Subs were interesting...
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

chaosyoshimage
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaosyoshimage » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 pm

The first DBZ film was mine. It was the second DVD I ever owned, right after the first "uncut" Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters volume.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:So what was the first Dragon Ball movie you saw in Japanese? For me, it was DBZ Movie 8 back in 2001.
:shock: Weird, it was the same time and movie for me as well. only the circumstances were very different lol. I was in 3rd grade at the time and one of my younger brother's teachers was a big DB fan and somehow he found out that we were too. I guess thats one of the good things that came out of "Show and Tell". But anyways he lets us borrow Movie 8 first then followed by Movie 10, 11, Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, the fight with Kid Boo, the Super 17 saga and finally the last fight with Yi- Shenlong.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:15 pm

Movie 5 as it was the first movie I bought on dvd.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:08 am

Movie #7 since it was the one I had as a kid. It wasn't late 2011 was when I started getting interested in the Japanese version.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonZ » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:13 am

For me this question is more like "first Dragon Ball movie you saw EVER" cuz i didn't watched the movies back in my childhood, and i don't watch dubbd anime at all.
trying to remember ............ DBZ Movie 3: Tree of Might.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:27 am

I don't know because I must have watched it before my memory. Maybe it was DBZ movie 2 or 3.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:34 am

I saw the 10th Anniversary Movie in the anime viewing room at Chicago Comic-Con....1997 I think? Then I went out to the dealers' room and found some VHS fansubs of DBZ movies 2, 3, and 12. A really good mix, I think. Some action-heavy early DBZ movies, and the humor and awesomeness of movie 12 (my favorite DBZ movie to this day).

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:52 am

Last year when I was doing a watch-through of all the movies and part of the series in Japanese.

So, Dead Zone.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:44 am

Z movie 1, around the time I'd started collecting the DVDs and watching the series in Japanese.
-Joey

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:23 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Movie 13, before Funimation dubbed it. It was like a year before they dubbed it and it was in parts on youtube in terrible quality. Subs were interesting...
This.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:54 am

Movie 7, because my bootleg DVD set of all 13 movies was made before all of them had been dubbed so from that movie onwards I was basically watching fansubs.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:09 am

Movie 9 I think.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:48 am

You kids with your bilingual DVDs have so easy, don't you?

I'd have to say my first Japanese DBZ movies were Movies 1 & 2 thanks to the old Pioneer/Geneon VHS releases. My parents got them for me as a Christmas present in 1998, knowing I liked the TV show. From 1999 onwards, I got various episodes and movies on Fansubbed VHS thanks a local comic store which I discovered was selling DBZ episodes and movies that hadn't aired on CN yet. Before I switched to buying the FUNimation DVDs in 2002, I had every DBZ movie in Japanese, as well scattered episodes of the Cell/Buu sagas, and the last 15 or so episodes of GT in order. All in crappy nth-generation quality... :lol:

Those were magical times when every new thing DragonBall was exciting and new. I guess I didn't know any better, because I even found the GT stuff I watched to be enthralling. :lol: Nowadays? Meh.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:57 am

I believe it was the first DB movie. I was watching the complete series back then with the FUNi dub, but because I was watching them uncut, I didn't watch that movie dubbed because it was edited (there wasn't the uncut version back then).
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.