Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by ect5150 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:24 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Looky Looky! This guy's DNR attempt with the Level Sets. Looks pretty damn good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGgxGlpRGso
Looks like deen to me.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

biohazard
Not-So-Newbie

Post by biohazard » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:10 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Looky Looky! This guy's DNR attempt with the Level Sets. Looks pretty damn good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGgxGlpRGso
I can't believe it... It almost looks like those 35mm episodes of Kai!

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:20 pm

biohazard wrote:
I can't believe it... It almost looks like those 35mm episodes of Kai!
Except without that weird "green" thing Kai has going on.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:57 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Except without that weird "green" thing Kai has going on.
Huh?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Huh?
I think he's referring to the fact that the sky in kai remains green even though it was advertised to be blue.
This is what Toei advertised
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/guides/produc ... png?da0dfe
This is what they gave us
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 pm

qjz123 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Huh?
I think he's referring to the fact that the sky in kai remains green even though it was advertised to be blue.
This is what Toei advertised
This is what they gave us
Oh, I thought he was talking about the 35mm episodes.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

final_flash
Banned

Post by final_flash » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:11 pm

biohazard wrote:
The level sets colors dont look quite as washed out (dark) when its DNR. Can some one with the compare this DNR level set picture to the same one on the BD sets. Its right before Vegeta turns into the Great Ape.

^I wonder what his shoulder workout is :lol:
Last edited by final_flash on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
As you think, so shall you become.
Bruce Lee

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:14 pm

That picture just look's way to blurry.

final_flash
Banned

Post by final_flash » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:15 pm

Also, does any one know how well the sales of the BD sets are doing?
Bruce Lee

final_flash
Banned

Post by final_flash » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:That picture just look's way to blurry.
I agree, but not any less blurry then the Kai sets. This pic has better color then the kai sets, with all the detail still intact.
Bruce Lee

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:30 pm

I actually like that picture. From the pictures you all have been posting, I think I want to get this set. I only have Vol. 5,6,7 of the Dragon Boxes. Hopefully, they will re-issue them, but this doesn't look bad to me. I love my Kai blu rays, but they don't look that great to me. As long as it looks good and I get the amazing story, I think I'll be happy. Although, I hope this is better quality than the DVD movie packs, I bought them, and was disappointed in the coloring. To each their own, I guess! I'm really excited to finally get the Manga in color, but I want to read it when the whole story is complete.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:34 pm

final_flash wrote: The level sets colors dont look quite as washed out (dark) when its DNR. Can some one with the compare this DNR level set picture to the same one on the BD sets. Its right before Vegeta turns into the Great Ape.
Here you go Season 1 blu ray
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/25/5h3t.png

and here is the same shot from the level sets without Dnr
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4195/q00p.png
Also, does any one know how well the sales of the BD sets are doing?
Pretty good still top 5 on Amazon's bestselling anime blu rays.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/mo ... v_1_3_last
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Aww man! Now you made me change my mind! Let me be comfortable mediocrity! It's just night and day! Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it!

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:55 pm

I keep looking at it. I'm like Burgess Meredith from the Twilight Zone. "It's not fair! It's not fair!"

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:17 pm

I have followed this forum and specifically this topic VERY closely for the last few months without making any comment. Time for my quick review. Now of course this is my opinion, and I respect anyone who disagrees. I just hope someone can read my quick review and get something out of it.

I have watched every version of dub released in every format since the original VHS's. I am a die hard dub fan and have been watching since Toonami, and am 27 now. I have always been about quality, and got excited when Kai, Levels, and now these Season sets have tried to achieve the "best" resolution and quality.

I owned the orange bricks and got rid of them quickly. The cropping was difficult for me to watch as I felt like it was zoomed in, and things on top and bottom were chopped. I love widescreen, but not when I am losing something.

I then bought the dragon box dvd's (expensive!) and loved the grain look, but this was really geared towards Japanese sub fans, and was not a Blu-ray, while at this point I was watching the Blu-ray Kai's.

I happen to LOVE the Kai blu-rays. The new dub is fantastic, respecting the old, and fixing lots of problems. The story I love is respected and keeps more to the manga, and I did not mind the fixed frames, as it respected the 4:3 framing and nothing was lost. It looked very good on my large HDTV's. I am anxiously awaiting the Buu releases in the future (Hopefully)

I was so excited by the Levels, as I thought it was the best of both worlds, but those were cancelled. It was a dragon box quality restore, 4:3, and looked sensational. If Kai were not to be finished, this was going to be my alternate to Kai.

Then came the survey and I voted 4:3. Then came these 16:9 that was going to crop but in a manner that might not cut off as many heads, and went frame by frame to choose best 16x9 spot.
I was disappointed and kept an open mind. I am not picky when it comes to grain/DNR, as long as the resolution is at its peak, and i do not lose too much picture. This past week I watched 2-3 episodes a day until I finished the whole set today.

I am sorry to be say I will be reselling this set on ebay. As the DNR and quality does not bother me, and the audio and video quality are maximum, I have the burden of knowledge. Those who do not know the series well might enjoy this release. Even a casual fan might enjoy this over the orange bricks, as it is MUCH better than those. MUCH. But for those like myself that not necessarily prefer 4:3, but feel like I'm watching it zoomed in, are way too distracted. Most every shot has the person's face slightly cut here and there, and although it might be centered better, it is a disturbance to me. I went in with an open mind, and I think funimation has made a very good release to "the general public" the hardcore dub fans like myself are not satisfied. I think most people at this point have a release they can enjoy. For me that is Kai, but after Cell saga I watch Dragon Box 5, 6 and 7.

People with closed minds will automatically discard this release, but Funimation did NOT put out junk. This is a quality release, just not what I would have wanted. And that is fine, I understand 16x9 for broadcasting, and general public probably will sell better. But even as I sit here and have the episodes on in the background, I am dying to swap out this release for the Kai Blu-rays, just to see the whole image I remember.

Those who want to insult or disrespect my opinion may go ahead, I was just putting my input in. Thanks for all the interesting responses over the last few weeks! I tune in and check this thread every day. Maybe one day we'll get a dragon box HD, but I wouldn't bet on it any time soon.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:29 pm

What an awful opinion! Just bleh! No, I'm kidding! Thank you. I really appreciate your thoughts! They are very helpful to me! I did the same thing with Dragon Ball Kai and Vol. 5,6,7 of the Dragon Boxes. I'll take all the info I can get. Thanks for being so respectful in your post. It's very refreshing! Please keep it up!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Nice review LettuceJUMP And no-one is going to disrespect or insult you. I can assure that.
I am now more then convinced I'm the only one here who has the new sets above any other. I feel like Bardock charging toward Frieza in space haha :lol:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:41 pm

FUNi released this because they know there's a target audience who'll happily watch this without complaining about the grain or aspect ratio.

A hardcore release gotta be like this:

Include:
. All NEPs
. Have the NEPs before the Ending
. Colour corrected episodes
. Japanese credits
. Japanese broadcast audio
. Full screen with the sides also visible
. English subs by Mr. Simmons
. Ocean Dub reworked for the uncut episodes (and for the missing parts we'd have Japanese w/Eng subs)
. FUNimation Dub with Faulconer's score in 5.1
. BD and DVD Combo release

And then we'd all have the perfect hardcore release.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:53 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:FUNi released this because they know there's a target audience who'll happily watch this without complaining about the grain or aspect ratio.
This.
dbboxkaifan wrote:A hardcore release gotta be like this:

Include:
. All NEPs
. Japanese credits
. Ocean Dub reworked for the uncut episodes (and for the missing parts we'd have Japanese w/Eng subs)

In the other words: everything that was created in its original form.

Anyone know the video bitrate of those new sets?

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:FUNi released this because they know there's a target audience who'll happily watch this without complaining about the grain or aspect ratio.
This.
dbboxkaifan wrote:A hardcore release gotta be like this:

Include:
. All NEPs
. Japanese credits

In the other words: everything that was created in its original form.

Anyone know the video bitrate of those new sets?

And this is why smart anime companies will listen to fans, but not decide their plans based on fans.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.