Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

qjz123
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by qjz123 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:16 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote: Anyone know the video bitrate of those new sets?
I just checked a random episode. Episode 34 had an overall bitrate of 26.7mbps but that's counting the audio so after subtracting the audio it's around 23mbps.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:33 pm

qjz123 wrote:I just checked a random episode. Episode 34 had an overall bitrate of 26.7mbps but that's counting the audio so after subtracting the audio it's around 23mbps.
Thanks for the info.

final_flash
Banned

Post by final_flash » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:09 pm

baneofdemon22 wrote:I actually like that picture. From the pictures you all have been posting, I think I want to get this set. I only have Vol. 5,6,7 of the Dragon Boxes. Hopefully, they will re-issue them, but this doesn't look bad to me. I love my Kai blu rays, but they don't look that great to me. As long as it looks good and I get the amazing story, I think I'll be happy. Although, I hope this is better quality than the DVD movie packs, I bought them, and was disappointed in the coloring. To each their own, I guess! I'm really excited to finally get the Manga in color, but I want to read it when the whole story is complete.
Dude, that picture i posted is not from the new season sets. Its an DNR level set picture that you liked.

DNR level set
BD season set
I personally like the little bit blurry level set pic better then the overly sharp, flat looking BD season set pic.
As you think, so shall you become.
Bruce Lee

Uber Mouse

Post by Uber Mouse » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:17 am

I don't know what's with that image of Goku from the seasons blu ray but it doesn't look that bad when I watch it, he's not that pink.

I guess it could be the way I have my TV calibrated though.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:32 am

On the topic of the Namek portion of the series looking washed out, that is how FUNi's film looks like. Even if you look at the old singles back in the "Ocean Dub" days, the colours were desaturated. Goku's gi is grey looking in the old singles and it reflect again on those level screen shots. I think the reason the OB's had looked so washed out was because they roughly kept the same colour corrections over from their season 1 transfer and colour correction. Whilst season 1 had much more colour variance, season 2 had always been washed out. Thus, adding more contrast to a desaturated and fairly washed out image gives nothing but extremely washed out colours for there was no colour to really work with at the start.

Look at Ginyu vs Goku from FUNi's singles; Goku's clothing is almost grey looking, especially the orange part of the gi.

Just tke a look at this (this is exactly how it looked on the old single sets and looks almost the same on FUNi's prints seen through the level set's advertisement):

The Dragonbox and the Kai transfer have much more vivid colour than FUNi's prints. My conclusion is, if FUNi was being lazy with their colour correction by retaining the values over from their first Orange Brick release, then the Blue Ray sets may experience the same problems.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:38 am

final_flash wrote:Image
Did Goku fuse with Majin Buu? :shock:

:lol:
Attitudefan wrote:Look at Ginyu vs Goku from FUNi's singles; Goku's clothing is almost grey looking, especially the orange part of the gi.

Just tke a look at this (this is exactly how it looked on the old single sets and looks almost the same on FUNi's prints seen through the level set's advertisement):

For whatever reason the 35mm episodes looked really dirty and brown on the single footage.

I already posted a single shot from a few episodes prior, and the colors are decently saturated:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:59 am

Uber Mouse wrote:I don't know what's with that image of Goku from the seasons blu ray but it doesn't look that bad when I watch it, he's not that pink.

The colors of the season blu rays are inconsistent here is Goku in episode 31 http://imageshack.com/a/img401/6154/qai0.png and here he is in episode 30 http://imageshack.com/a/img716/2880/tlwk.png. His skin color tends to fluctuate on this set.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:01 am

Decently saturated, sure but still not up to par with the other arcs. I mean, Goku's gi still has a weird greenish grey tint which is not present at all on Toeis master prints when you compare them. Goku's skin blends in with his eyes moreso than the other arcs.

That is why the Orang Bricks look much better in the last few "seasons"; the colour balance, contrast, and saturation is much better than on the namek prints FUNi has.
Goku's gi has a VERY different colour tone to it. It is desaturated green-orange in the Namek arc compared to deep red from the Saiyan arc from the singles.
That happened intentionally I assume since the colour balance of the scene is different. In the earlier episode it is mid-day while in the later episode it is evening/dusk. The sky even has the pink hue because of the sun setting which affects the overall colour balance of the scene. Intentional difference.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Uber Mouse

Post by Uber Mouse » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:20 am

qjz123 wrote: The colors of the season blu rays are inconsistent here is Goku in episode 31 http://imageshack.com/a/img401/6154/qai0.png and here he is in episode 30 http://imageshack.com/a/img716/2880/tlwk.png. His skin color tends to fluctuate on this set.
I know that, having watched the set the colours can be very inconsistent. It's just the original image I was replying too, he doesn't look that pink. He's pinkish but not that saturated.

As I said, It's probably just my calibration on my tv, I'm sure if I change it to just the standard setting it would look like the screenshot.

The biggest issue I have with the sets is the loss of detail in some characters clothes like Gohan and Piccolo where in some scenes it looks almost black and you can't make out any lines.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:01 am

qjz123 wrote:
Uber Mouse wrote:I don't know what's with that image of Goku from the seasons blu ray but it doesn't look that bad when I watch it, he's not that pink.

The colors of the season blu rays are inconsistent here is Goku in episode 31 http://imageshack.com/a/img401/6154/qai0.png and here he is in episode 30 http://imageshack.com/a/img716/2880/tlwk.png. His skin color tends to fluctuate on this set.
Wow, the footage looks ridiculously smudged in those shots... Almost like the Orange Brick footage. :sick:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:28 am

I wonder why episode 31 on any releases looks so worse than any other episodes.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:58 am

The problem I have is the sharpening. You can see this outline due to that filter.... bleh.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:44 am

Those DNR-ed Levels shots actuallyed look really good. If they had sharper lines they'd be ideal.

Why would applying colour correction to each episode rather than to entire seasons be so bad? Funimation divided the seasons according the story and episode count, not the colouration.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:47 am

Fizzer wrote:Why would applying colour correction to each episode rather than to entire seasons be so bad?
Not sure that they did, are we? But I'll take the standard answer of "it's more cost effective."
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:12 am

That'd make sense when I used to watch my pinky Dragonboxes Z I'd tweak the settings a bit to get rid some of its blurry and pink tint to it. Oh, now I realised I shouldn't have but I did stretch the picture which now that I think about it it lowered its picture quality.

I don't stretch 4x3 AR footage to 16x9 AR any more because that's just damn ugly.
ect5150 wrote:Not sure that they did, are we? But I'll take the standard answer of "it's more cost effective."
That could be it due to this being a budget (yet quality) release, still it won't look as bad as Orange Bricks' Season 2 or its missing lines.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:17 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Wow, the footage looks ridiculously smudged in those shots... Almost like the Orange Brick footage. :sick:
That's what we get when DNR is applied carte blanche. It gets rid of the grain (like some people want), it's low cost (like FUNI wants) but it produces some side effects when you do it like this (like other people don't mind).

To be fair, the screen caps do look like it's an improvement over the Orange Bricks.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

final_flash
Banned

Post by final_flash » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:58 pm

qjz123 wrote:
final_flash wrote:Thx for the picture comparison. But is that really the color of goku on the blu ray sets in that shot? Or did it come out that color after you copied it?
That's how Goku looks in that particular shot. The colors aren't that consistent some episodes he looks pink others he looks white.
As you think, so shall you become.
Bruce Lee

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:54 am

I got some fun for Mike and and gang to laugh at here, especially after listening to the recent podcast.
FUNi's official DBZ Facebook page links this Engadget article highlighting the release of the season one blu-ray.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/30/mut- ... _truncated

Here's the thing, that hyperlink, goes to an article from March 2009 highlighting the Japanese broadcast of Dragon Ball Kai.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/11/drag ... ead-of-ap/

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:13 am

This was capped by a user from another website who has the BDs and these screenshots don't look good at all. Maybe on-motion it's not nearly as noticeable as when it's paused to analyse it.
Although Piccolo's screen looks the worst out of the two, Goku's footage is too yellowed for me I know FUNimation isn't doing their best like they were on the Levels but using the same settings for all episodes and arcs will be chaotic.

Just tweaked Goku's screen on Paint.net and it looks a lot better (imo).

FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:This was capped by a user from another website who has the BDs and these screenshots don't look good at all. Maybe on-motion it's not nearly as noticeable as when it's paused to analyse it.
Although Piccolo's screen looks the worst out of the two, Goku's footage is too yellowed for me I know FUNimation isn't doing their best like they were on the Levels but using the same settings for all episodes and arcs will be chaotic.

Just tweaked Goku's screen on Paint.net and it looks a lot better (imo).

Can't bring up the spoiler images.