Beta designs/color schemes in theatrical programs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Beta designs/color schemes in theatrical programs

Post by kei17 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:49 pm

I got some of the pamphlets/theatrical programs of old Dragon Ball movies, and I noticed that they had some beta character designs, different color schemes, and concept art.

Concept art from DBZ movie 1. Gohan is chasing a bird and he's not drunk.

Gohan's outfit and Biomen are colored differently.

Brainwashed Piccolo with normal eyes and a beta design of Dr. Willow.

Dr. Willow's body is closer to Toriyama's original design.

Daiz and Amond are colored differently.

Maybe I'm still missing some.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: Beta designs/color schemes in theatrical programs

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:56 pm

Interesting stuff. I once posted a grey Janemba but it seems be lost somewhere in this forum.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Wow, that's really interesting!
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Interesting stuff. I once posted a grey Janemba but it seems be lost somewhere in this forum.
This?
Last edited by Tyro on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn_Bazooka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Unicorn_Bazooka » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Where exactly are these from?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Unicorn_Bazooka wrote:Where exactly are these from?
The thread title and first sentence of the first post explicitly states these are from the movies' theatrical programs.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Interesting stuff. I once posted a grey Janemba but it seems be lost somewhere in this forum.

I don't own DBZ movie 12's pamphlet, but I guess these are in it.

Also, concept art of DBZ movie 3 with beta designs of Tullece's henchmen:

Unicorn_Bazooka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Unicorn_Bazooka » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:14 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
The thread title and first sentence of the first post explicitly states these are from the movies' theatrical programs.
Nonono, I meant that where the actual pamphlets are from. Are they obtainable or are they just scans on the internet?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Huh. Those grey Janemba pictures are particularly interesting, since I don't think those shots even exist in the finished film, do they? With all of the other pictures, they at least resemble something we actually got, but I don't recognize those ones at all.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:52 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I personally like the color for Janemba. He looks cooler with that color in my opinion.
I get it!
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:03 pm

These are the kind of things I really love about the franchise. It's a shame we don't get to see more if it, especially with more of the recent material. I always find concept art very interesting, as I enjoy seeing what kind of ideas were being tossed around before the final product was released. Sometimes the transition between the two is really drastic too, so I can't help but wonder how thing would have played out with original designs, like with the Dr. Uiro brain-ship thing.

Anyway, I don't know if either of these are in the theatrical programs or not, but this first image has another set of colors for Tullece's henchmen and a different hair style for Tullece himself. The second image from Daizenshuu 6 has an alternate colors for Tullece's armor and skin, as well as the dragon.

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:37 pm

It's not in a theatrical program, but the "Next Movie" page from Daizenshuu 6 has a preview for the 10th Anniversary movie featuring the Red Ribbon characters pre-Toriyama redesign, looking much closer to the way they do in the original manga. They include a white-haired Red and a Black who is still, er... black. Don't have a picture on me, but one should be able to find it somewhere on the Internet.

The sixth Daizenshuu was published in November 1995, which means that Toriyama's redesign must have happened somewhere in the six months or so between the final proofs for the book and the release of the movie in March 1996.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Also, concept art of DBZ movie 3 with beta designs of Tullece's henchmen:

Image[/quote]

Hmm. FUNimation actually used that image for the back of The Tree of Might DVD (Ultimate Edition).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Wow, Daiz with a cape? That is pretty neat!!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Unicorn_Bazooka wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
Nonono, I meant that where the actual pamphlets are from. Are they obtainable or are they just scans on the internet?
They pop up on eBay pretty often, but be prepared to pay a ridiculous amount of money.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:39 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:They pop up on eBay pretty often, but be prepared to pay a ridiculous amount of money.
Or you can go to Otakon, run ahead of Heath to claim one sitting in a box in the dealer's room for cheap, and then get your just rewards when it's the DBZ Movie 4 program.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:55 pm

How are these possible? What I mean is, I thought these were pictures from cels actually used in the movies and those cells are hand painted...so are there diff colored cels potentially floating around out there? did the artists repaint over those cels? did they make new cels entirely? Or am I missing something?
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:24 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:These are the kind of things I really love about the franchise. It's a shame we don't get to see more if it, especially with more of the recent material. I always find concept art very interesting, as I enjoy seeing what kind of ideas were being tossed around before the final product was released. Sometimes the transition between the two is really drastic too, so I can't help but wonder how thing would have played out with original designs, like with the Dr. Uiro brain-ship thing.

Anyway, I don't know if either of these are in the theatrical programs or not, but this first image has another set of colors for Tullece's henchmen and a different hair style for Tullece himself. The second image from Daizenshuu 6 has an alternate colors for Tullece's armor and skin, as well as the dragon.

Third poster for The Tree of Might would count as is.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:22 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I personally like the color for Janemba. He looks cooler with that color in my opinion.
That Super Janemba looks very evil!! I like grey more than red!

Very interesting pics Kei. The little Dragon looks different too!

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:28 am

This kind of information is exactly what I want to see in the future wiki.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:38 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:It's not in a theatrical program, but the "Next Movie" page from Daizenshuu 6 has a preview for the 10th Anniversary movie featuring the Red Ribbon characters pre-Toriyama redesign, looking much closer to the way they do in the original manga. They include a white-haired Red and a Black who is still, er... black. Don't have a picture on me, but one should be able to find it somewhere on the Internet.
Scanned it.

We yet don't know the reason why they changed Black's design, but I guess it has to do with this.