The Future of DBZ Home Releases?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

The Future of DBZ Home Releases?

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:38 pm

With FUNimation trying to milk the cow out of DBZ as much as possible, and with Toei's presumable silence, one has to wonder. It's 2013 right now, and as of now, we've been given the Pioneer/FUNimation DVDs, Ultimate Uncut DVDs, Orange Brick DVDs, Dragon Box (N/A) DVDs, Level Set Blu-Rays, and now with the upcoming Blu-Ray season sets. It'll most likely be 2015 by the end of their run, and once we've reached that point, what's going to happen then? Is this just the first set of complete Blu-Ray releases? Or are these really the future and end of all home releases by FUNimation, leaving it up to Toei to release a complete quality Blu-Ray release. I'm curious as to what might happen in the future, so what do you guys think?
Last edited by Black_Anime_Fan on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: The Future of DBZ Home Releases?

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:45 pm

DBZ in 3d possibly. Or DBZ in 4k HD. Hell I would't be shocked if we get some GT blue rays since GT sold better than DB.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:53 pm

FUNimation puts out Japanese tutoring DVDs along with Amazon Japan links to the R2 singles. The definitive collection. The way Japanese was meant to be learned so you can watch the show how it was meant to be seen. Kanji and vocabulary lessons brought to you with the clarity that can only be found on Blu-ray.

... Honestly, I don't know. There was one theory flying around that honestly doesn't seem that crazy anymore; FUNimation is constantly altering the show so it can be sold again and again. Even with their one solid release, the DRAGONBOX, they found a way to keep money in their pocket by making them limited runs. Logic would dictate the very last resort would be a permanent DBOX presentation of the show.

We just have to figure out what else they can do to prolong new DBZ on the shelves. A "4K" remaster?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:01 pm

B wrote:FUNimation puts out Japanese tutoring DVDs along with Amazon Japan links to the R2 singles. The definitive collection. The way Japanese was meant to be learned so you can watch the show how it was meant to be seen. Kanji and vocabulary lessons brought to you with the clarity that can only be found on Blu-ray.

... Honestly, I don't know. There was one theory flying around that honestly doesn't seem that crazy anymore; FUNimation is constantly altering the show so it can be sold again and again. Even with their one solid release, the DRAGONBOX, they found a way to keep money in their pocket by making them limited runs. Logic would dictate the very last resort would be a permanent DBOX presentation of the show.

We just have to figure out what else they can do to prolong new DBZ on the shelves. A "4K" remaster?
A 4K Remastered sounds good and all, but how long you think until 4K HDTVs become a thing to the mainstream market? It took years for HDTV to reach that point, even now people had just started getting ready for the upgrade to HD. It'll probably take more than a decade for 4K to become feasible.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:
B wrote:FUNimation puts out Japanese tutoring DVDs along with Amazon Japan links to the R2 singles. The definitive collection. The way Japanese was meant to be learned so you can watch the show how it was meant to be seen. Kanji and vocabulary lessons brought to you with the clarity that can only be found on Blu-ray.

A 4K Remastered sounds good and all, but how long you think until 4K HDTVs become a thing to the mainstream market? It took years for HDTV to reach that point, even now people had just started getting ready for the upgrade to HD. It'll probably take more than a decade for 4K to become feasible.
And in a decade. Funimation would still sale DBZ. Perhaps in 3d4kHD, I would't be shocked. In all honestly I saw a picture(Not sure if it's fake or not. Most likely is) that showed a DVD(One Boxed and lots of disc) saying DBZ the complete series. I would't be shocked if one day Funimation makes a DBZ collection that is the complete series.

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:30 pm

"Japanese Ball Z, New From FUNimation! Learn the exciting language of Japanese through the World of Dragon Ball Z!!! Featuring remastered 16x9 HD clips of your favorite scenes with a remastered HD 16x9 course designed to help you learn The Greatest Action Language of All Time with The Greatest Action Anime of All Time! Pre-order today!!!"

I can just see it now.

I don't know about that top picture (looks like a boot), but the bottom is obviously the complete manga box set from Viz.

Who knows what FUNi will pull out of their...ahem...sleeve next for DB? A complete series boxset wouldn't be out of the cards methinks. But with the way people say that home video is moving towards the digital market, who knows. Who knows who knows who knows. As long as they can bleed money out of nostalgic people, DB maniacs, general anime fans, a new generation of kids to show the series to etc., I think they'll try anything. Especially in the next decade, when nostalgia for the 2000s (hell I'm already feeling it) will ratchet up. I doubt FUNi would miss such golden opportunities. And I somehow doubt they'd totally discard 4k "remastering", 3D, etc. Somehow I just doubt it.
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:38 pm

doomydoomydoom wrote:
I don't know about that top picture (looks like a boot), but the bottom is obviously the complete manga box set from Viz.

Who knows what FUNi will pull out of their...ahem...sleeve next for DB? A complete series boxset wouldn't be out of the cards methinks. But with the way people say that home video is moving towards the digital market, who knows. Who knows who knows who knows. As long as they can bleed money out of nostalgic people, DB maniacs, general anime fans, a new generation of kids to show the series to etc., I think they'll try anything. Especially in the next decade, when nostalgia for the 2000s (hell I'm already feeling it) will ratchet up. I doubt FUNi would miss such golden opportunities. And I somehow doubt they'd totally discard 4k "remastering", 3D, etc. Somehow I just doubt it.
Yeah I see it was the VIZ. But the top one. What you mean but boot :lol: ? Seems like a fan-made thing that shoved all of the orange bricks in one case. I would't be shocked if "DBZ KAI" gets remaster some-how. But yea a complete series box isn't out of the picture. But imagine the price on those bad boys. DBZ is like 13 movies(14 if they include BoG in the DVD set.), 2 specials, 3 Ova(Doubt they will dub them. But I would't be shocked if they was released someday. Especially since EoB and Plan to kill SSJ was seen on video games), and 297 episodes. That boxset would be a HUGE price. And only extreme hardcore fans(Whatever if they buy for JPN or English only...maybe both) would want to buy those.

Hell I would't be shocked if BoG somehow get a remaster.

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:55 pm

Well it looks like a bootleg doesn't it? Especially because of the rating: Australia's rating for the Orange Bricks was "PG", that has an "M". I dunno.

HAHA HO GOD, no I doubt FUNi is dumb enough to try and shove ALLLLLL the movies, specials, PLUS OVAs (urgh no.), PLUS the 291-episode main course (which would be about 40-something discs) into one boxset. No one would be dumb enough to buy such a tomb of discs. Better clear a corner in your living room for it. Might have to sell a chair to make space.

But you did bring up even more possibilities for squeezing that udder, there's a lot more content they can cash in on, like a Dragon Box The Movies, etc. But that's only if Toei agrees to such a thing, which is unlikely I think. Anyway, I think what can be totally agreed on by anybody is that they WILL find a way to make some more money with the franchise that built FUNi.
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:28 am

I thinks FUNimation needs to give Z a rest and focus on the original series again.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:24 am

The next release they'll beam directly into your mind and it will only be in Japanese, but spoken by the English voice actors.

Many will be exposed to lethal levels of radiation via the beam and the culling will ultimately help the fandom.

The biggest tragedy will be the cropping.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:34 am

doomydoomydoom wrote:Well it looks like a bootleg doesn't it? Especially because of the rating: Australia's rating for the Orange Bricks was "PG", that has an "M". I dunno.
Nah, it's a Madman-thing. "Seasons" 3 and 5 were both handed an 'M' rating down here in NZ/AUS. The box set contains all nine of the 'Orange Bricks'. It's initial printing had an image of Gogeta on it (see TheGMGoken's post), however, a later printing saw it swapped out for a more appropriate images.

EDIT: Pictures for you:
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:42 am

I'm sure they'll localize the eventual Toei HD restoration with a hyper limited run, but then:

It's Dragon Ball Z in Ultra HD for the first time! Experience the action anime classic the way it was meant to be seen with the magic of modern technology.*

Disclaimer: Due to heavy DVNR usage you won't be able to see any of the details Ultra HD resolution footage would allow you to, but hey.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:04 am

Every time a new release gets released I prepare myself for a even newer release :lol: I just know as soon as I get all the Blue Season Sets, Funimation is going to say ''Hey everyone! Here's those Dragonball Dragon-boxes'' :P :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:13 am

Maybe a blu-ray Dragon Box with corrected colors? That's the only way I would buy the series again.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:17 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
EDIT: Pictures for you:
GOT DAMN! How much are those?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Hopefully, after this Blu Ray run they can do Dragon Ball and maybe GT. But before that they should go back and Dub all the OVA's and BoG.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:59 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:GOT DAMN! How much are those?
They're out of print now, but they use to go for around $300-$400 (NZD).

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:05 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:GOT DAMN! How much are those?
They're out of print now, but they use to go for around $300-$400 (NZD).
Off topic, but lol @ your signature.

Blu-ray_Mistress
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Blu-ray_Mistress » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:32 pm

I would like to see them come out with Dragon Ball finally on Blu-ray and also see a English Dub of Erdicate the Saiyans, Yo! Son Goku and his friends Return and Battle of Gods.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Blu-ray_Mistress wrote:I would like to see them come out with Dragon Ball finally on Blu-ray and also see a English Dub of Erdicate the Saiyans, Yo! Son Goku and his friends Return and Battle of Gods.
Likewise, I wish the franchise wasn't so muddled up with so many releases and cock-ups. I'm just looking for a definitive DVD + Blu-Ray release of Dragon Ball, Dragonball Z, and GT, all with consistent artwork that isn't half-assed and a 'remaster' that is only concerned with correcting colours or marks on the film.