Complete BGM soundtrack

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Complete BGM soundtrack

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:53 pm

I would be sooooo thrilled if only Toei (or whoever it is in charge of the CDs) would release a complete BGM soundtrack of DB, Z and GT. It wouldn't be too hard since the music is easily documented (I've gone through DBZ movies 1 through 11 and taken note of all the unreleased music from them, all I need to do now are the DB movies, Saikyo e no Michi (though I'm pretty sure the CD for that movie is complete), and all of the series (most of the music in the TV anime comes from the movies, but there are a few random pieces that were composed for the series alone).
What I can't fathom is why, given the (somewhat) recent revival of the series in Japan what with the DragonBoxes and all... well, shouldn't that be a good enough excuse to make up for lost time and put out a full soundtrack once and for all? The BGM CDs that are already released, few though they may be, cover a good chunk of the music, but there's just way too many awesome pieces that never made the cut.
I'm half tempted to get a sort of... oh crud, what are they called? Those poll/survey-type things that you get a lot of people to sign.... well, anyway, I know those things hardly ever do any good, but SOMETHING has to be done, I'm dying here!
So while I'm at it, what's your favorite BGM piece from any one of the 3 series? Let's hear it, folks!
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:13 pm

Well, they started releasing the Complete Song Collection back in 2003 (right before the launch of the Dragon Boxes), so maybe they'll re-issue a perfect Daizenshuu BGM set to mark the end of the Dragon Box releases? A BGM re-issue would also sync up more nicely with the release of the movie box (or shortly thereafter). Anyways, yeah, I've been waiting very patiently for a re-issue of the Daizenshuu CD set, or something similar...

Favourite BGM piece? I currently have it on Ongakushuu Volume 1, track 9, "Exteme Battle!! The Three Great Super Saiya-jin" (movie 7), final song. I'm sure it's also on the Daizenshuu set somewhere...

It's that piece that plays when Goku is making the Genki Dama in movie 7, and all the Z Senshi are trying to stop Android 13 one at a time. It's also used when Goku finally throws the huge Genki Dama at Kid Buu (I think they also used it at one point while collecting the ki for it). Great song.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:11 pm

Ya that's on the fifth "DB & DBZ Complete Song Collection", track number 13 towards the end of it I believe. I agree it's a beautiful number.

As for the CD soundtrack of "Saikyo no Michi", it is indeed quite complete.

I believe Kenisu you're talking about an online petition. You'll most likely be wasting your time. Most rarely ever work, and that's for even more generalized and, please take no insult here, more popular fan requests. For it to even have a chance, you'd have to get a really large number of signatures and unfortunately I sadly doubt there are enough fans of the DB BGM out there that would be willing to fight that hard for it. I definitely would, but I'm only one more person. :/

And my favourite BGM piece? Well I have a couple. Yes I absolutely love that infamous, "Dun-dun-dun" piece that played in Movie 3 when Goku gathers everyone's energy for the Genki-dama. You can find it on track number 4 of the "Ongakushu Volume 1" CD. It also plays in the TV series a few times, including when Goku is finally healed from the rejuvenation tank in Freeza's ship and is ready to go help his son and friends.

I love the theme that always plays during scenes with Gohan in all it's cute variations. You can hear a few of them on CD 4, Track 5 of "DB & DBZ Complete Song Collection". I also love the variations of "Head-Cha-La". Check those out with tracks 12 and 18 of the same CD set and number.

Then there's the sorrowful and beautiful theme with the Chinese fiddle that plays with Chaozu. Unfortunately, this beautiful piece is only available in a small snippet on the second CD of "Dragonball & Dragoball Z Complete Song Collection" if I remember correctly. Not certain and I don't remember what number on it. It only plays once in DBZ and that's when Chaozu, after sacrificing hiself battling Nappa, appears before Tenshinhan and speaks to him.

I like the intrumental for "Romantikku Ageru Yo" Very pretty. You can hear it on track 4 of "Dragonball & Dragonball Z Complete Song Collection", CD 2.

Then there's the wonderfully dramatic theme music of Piccolo-Daimao, which is also on that very same second CD, going from about track 21 to 25.

I can't forget to include the instrumental for GT's theme "Dan Dan". It's really sad that it isn't available on any CD. :cry:

Ultimately, I think the most beautiful piece is "The Grand Finale- Mysterious Power" from the "Saikyo no Michi" OST. That's the tenth anniversary DB movie. I also really like track 1 on it, "Prologue- Mount Pao-tzu". It goes back to DB's Chinese origins with some really pretty music played with more traditional Chinese instruments.

Okay, think I've babbled enough now. :P
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:13 pm

Ah, yes... petition... thanks Jerseymilk, THAT was the word I was looking for! I know that it's a useless idea and I'm not actually planning on it, though... it's just that I wish there was some way to get it out to Toei that we want ALL of it.
The piece you mentioned, DBW, is one of my all-time personal faves too! At first, I kinda found it tedious since it's one of the longer ones (most DB/Z/GT BGM doesn't last longer than half a minute, and this one's over three minutes long), but I really started to like it once I saw how it so perfectly fits each scene it appears in.
I guess I should have clarified, though... what I meant was, I want to hear what your favorite *unreleased* BGM piece is. I'll mention a couple of mine... I guess my favorite is one from DragonBall. I'm pretty sure from the sound of it that it was originally a movie piece, but I haven't seen Legend of Shen Long or Sleeping Princess in the Demon God's Castle yet, so I wouldn't know. In the series, it first appears in the Tao Pie Pie saga after Tao has used his Dodon-Pa on Goku and everyone thinks he's dead... a no-name Red Ribbon Army soldier goes up to take Goku's DragonBall, and as he approaches Goku's lifeless form, this piece is used. It's basically nothing but drums, but it's REALLY good. It's also used when Kame Sennin confronts Piccolo Daimao (the "My master was Mutaito-sama" scene) and quite a bit during the 23rd Budokai. It carries on to Z, where Kuririn, Gohan and Bulma are on the fake Planet Namek and the scenery re-arranges itself to reveal all the fakery that the imposter Namekians had cooked up... and when Freeza's in his second form trying to decide who to "show to hell" first, and impales Kuririn with his horn... and, well, a whole lot of other scenes, but I'm getting carried away.
Another one was composed for DBZ Movie 3... it's when Gohan bumps into Tullece, who offers to take Gohan with him on his interplanetary rampage.
There's also the one that's the opening piece for Mystical Adventure (when Pilaf is negotiating a reward for making Tsuru Sennin a Dragon Radar, only to be confronted by Tao Pie Pie).
One of my favorite pieces from the original DragonBall fits the show PERFECTLY... it's got a "disastrous" tone, but it still retains a sort of DB "silliness" to it... it's used in A LOT OF EPISODES, but to name a couple, it's in one of the scenes when Goku is trying to get the Super Holy Water from Karin, and also during the filler episodes after the Uranai Baba saga, when Goku is in that tournament and Shao Long (or whatever his name is) is using a whirlwind attack on him. Unfortunately, they stopped using this piece when Z began.

EDIT: Here's another one I forgot: In GT there's a piece that's used all over the place, as victory music when Goku and Pan start to get the upper hand on the bad guy. It's another instrumental version of "Dan Dan", but this one is fast-paced and I love it!

And that's just to name a few!
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:32 pm

Oh I know the one in GT you mean! Ya that's a cute one.^^ Sorry for my big misundstandeing about your question. :oops: I'll go with what I said before. The instrumental "Dan Dan" recap music for GT. Anyway, if you ever do make a petition, I'll be the first to sign it. :wink:

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:38 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:The instrumental "Dan Dan" recap music for GT.
It's not a CD release or anything, but a high quality stereo version of the complete song is used for the Dragon Box GT main menu. Unfortunately, there's a humming spaceship sound in the background, but I still always crank up the volume when the menu loads (it's a really nice song).
www.kanzentai.com

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:11 pm

Oh, you mean the recap music! Yeah, I love that one too. I thought you meant the slow, calm rendition of "Dan Dan"...

Oh, and on an interesting note: the soundtrack CD for Movie 11 contains *every single note* of BGM from the film! That's a rarity...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:23 pm

DBW wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:The instrumental "Dan Dan" recap music for GT.
It's not a CD release or anything, but a high quality stereo version of the complete song is used for the Dragon Box GT main menu. Unfortunately, there's a humming spaceship sound in the background, but I still always crank up the volume when the menu loads (it's a really nice song).
But it's still not the saaaaaaaaame! :cry:

Kenisu: Ya I meant the recap version, though I like the slow rendition as well. I've also got the OST for Movie 10 and I think that one is complete as well.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:41 pm

The one for Movie 10 is *almost* complete... it's just missing a couple of pieces: the "carnival" music that plays when Goten and Trunks visualize what they'll wish for (if you count that) and the music when Kuririn rescues Gohan in that Piccolo outfit (it's actually a piece from Movie 8, when the real Piccolo arrives, but they re-used it here). Oddly enough, they did intend on including this theme, from the track name "Piccolo Arrives!?", but they used the wrong song - the one they use *is* from Movie 8, but it's a completely different one. Hopefully I explained that in a non-confusing manner...
There's also the Ongakushu vol. 2, which contains the music from Movie 8, but it's missing a few pieces too. So that makes the Movie 11 CD the *only* one that contains the complete soundtrack to its respective film.
(Believe me, I'm a total nerd for the BGM...)

urhash
Not-So-Newbie

Post by urhash » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:49 pm

The recap tune to GT is awesome... I'd give my left arm to see that released. =P

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:05 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:But it's still not the saaaaaaaaame! :cry:
:? Yeah it is, it's the entire recap version...good stuff.
www.kanzentai.com

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:20 am

What I mean is, that it's on a DVD menu, not on a CD.

Ya, unfortunately about the "Ongakushu" CDs is that they only have a selection of the BGM pieces from the movies.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:12 pm

I would definately sign a petition. I too am a big fan of the Dragonball (and Z) BGM. I think it's awesome and even goes to anything, certain battle themes could easily be used for Pokemon Battles or better yet on the actual DBZ PS2 games. Why not I say? Oh, right, legal reasons... :x

Reffering to some of the tracks you mention kenisu3000, I can relate.

The one where Freeza is about to choose who to kill. I too like this, it's a really good piece to use for a build up. I wish they used this more in the anime, I think they used it more in the Freeza saga.

I am not too sure on all the unreleased pieces, but I think the Piccolo theme is a good one.

As for the actual tracks that have been released, I have , well, loads, so I'll say my 5 best, starting from the bottom...

5. On track 16 of the 2nd disk(Daizenshuu set), Shi o Yobu Cell Game has a piece that get's used a lot which I really like, it's the last piece that comes in at the end of this 6 minute track. It's short, but sweet.

4. I'm quite a fan of the short ones, four would have to be on disc 5, track 13, Kyoukugen Battaru! San Bai Suupa Saiya-jin, also the last piece that comes in, quite a dramatic little tune, I like it, I think it first appeared during the Other World tournament saga with Pikon.

3. This jingle is on track 15 Soshi Seyo ! Cell no Kanzen Tai (Stop it ! Cell’s Perfect Body) and comes inat an early 40 seconds, it is used a bit in the Androids and Cell saga's. Proper catchy this one.

2. I seem to have a great liking for this one, I first heard it in Dragonball when Pilaf is in he's plane heading for Roshi's Island. It's on Disc 2, track 25, Innen no Tsuikimari ! Satoru Sora to Piccolo. It is used at the end of a few early DBZ episodes, must go good with he episodes cliff hanger to make people want to watch it next time, to keep the Dragonball feeling. Wicked track.

1. This is the best one, it's on track 11, Kaibutsu Furîza VS Densetsu no Sûpâ Saiya-jin The Monster Freeza vs. the Legendary Super Saiyan. It comes in at exactly 2:10 and goes until 4:05, it is used a lot in the early DBZ episodes up to the end of the Freeza saga(I think), until they stop using it full stop. I love this track, it's well and truly awesome and sets the mood for the grim Namek episodes. I also associate this track with Vegeta a lot, suits him.

There are so many others, I like the tune played when Piccolo jumps in front of Gohan against Nappa. That is so touching, also the one where Goku ends Kid Buu, and the one where Goku tries to stop Kuririn from killing Vegeta, and finally the music played when Goku finally reaches the sea in Dragonball, also used when Bulma and Popo reach Jupiter, this one is nice and wild in a way, like to say something is about to begin.

Oh...and one more...when Goku finally reaches Namek and gets out of the ship. Also, the one that get's played on Namek when the Great Elder scenes come up. It's at 1:45 on track 9, Ma ni Ae!! Nanatsu No Doragonbôru (Reach the Seven Dragon Balls in Time!!)

You know what? They are all good.

That would have been quicker.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:52 am

I don't think that petition thing would work anyway. They hardly ever do, right? All we can do is hope for them to wise up before the revival in Japan dies back down. We have until the DragonBall Movie Box comes out!
Another of my unreleased favorites is the piece composed for Movie 6, when Goku and Vegeta look up on the hilltop and there's a huge mass of Meta-Coolas waiting. This one was also used frequently during the Cell saga, such as episode 160 when we get the first shots of Cell in his perfect form, and also when he creates the ring for the Games.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:02 pm

Another piece of music I'd really like to have is the one from Z Movie 3 when Tullece eats the fruit and bulks up. I don't think it was used in the TV series, ever, but it isn't on CD either, and that peeves me.
Also, I'd appreciate having the *full* version of Goku-forming-the-Genkidama from Movie 2. It appears on track 3 of Ongakushu vol. 1 (though you have to wait for an agonizing three or four minutes through a couple of boring, monotonous pieces before you get to it), but it isn't the full piece... it's missing about 15 seconds. If you don't know what BGM I'm talking about, it's got a kind of "twinkley", dreamy sound to it (well, that sounded gay), and it's soft until it ends on a few loud, triumphant notes. It actually does appear in the TV series a few precious times (like at the end of the Garlic Jr. saga when Chichi reams out a bunch of bikers for not studying) :)