What's the best English Dragon Ball DVD release?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

What's the best English Dragon Ball DVD release?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:00 pm

I don't want to buy the Blue Bricks because it says "Season" along with other cons, but I'm aware that there's a few others such as Madman's release and anything else?

Waiting for FUNimation to announce the Dragon Boxes of Dragon Ball or etc may take a long while or never, so I'm looking for alternatives.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: What's the best English Dragon Ball DVD release?

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:15 pm

They may not be "seasons" but that's hardly a con. They aren't baiting and switching on you. You get the episodes on the season sets with some slight zooming but unless someone told you, you'd never know.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:26 pm

ABED wrote:They may not be "seasons" but that's hardly a con. They aren't baiting and switching on you. You get the episodes on the season sets with some slight zooming but unless someone told you, you'd never know.
I would because I saw the screen and video comparisons, so the zooming is another con on the list.
Dragonbox

Blue Bricks
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:21 pm

What's the con?

I wrote that if someone told you you'd never know, meaning it's not noticeable unless you knew to look for it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:51 pm

I think the Blue Bricks are absolutely fine apart from leaving out intro 2 and endings 1, 3 and 4. If you're like me and want the dub then they automatically beat the Boxes. And they're more affordable and shelf friendly and have marathon mode.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:57 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I think the Blue Bricks are absolutely fine apart from leaving out intro 2 and endings 1, 3 and 4. If you're like me and want the dub then they automatically beat the Boxes. And they're more affordable and shelf friendly and have marathon mode.
I watch all of Dragon Ball in Japanese with English subs, which is why I got the DBGT Singles (they contain Japanese credits + NEPs).

So if the Blue Bricks are the best release then I'll just hold on I guess.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:58 pm

"Who the fuck looks for it" will forever be my question. "Oh in this shot, we're missing part of a cloud..." I can understand when a face get's severely cut off like in the Orange Bricks, but sometimes when I see some of these cropping examples, I question who actually makes it an issue. It's like ABED said, no one (in a normal audience) would see it unless someone pointed it out.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:19 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:"Who the fuck looks for it" will forever be my question. "Oh in this shot, we're missing part of a cloud..." I can understand when a face get's severely cut off like in the Orange Bricks, but sometimes when I see some of these cropping examples, I question who actually makes it an issue. It's like ABED said, no one (in a normal audience) would see it unless someone pointed it out.
Exactly. If people didn't look for these details to hate on then they'd probably enjoy the release a lot more. I have to question how many people would hate the Bricks if they didn't have someone to tell them why they should hate them.

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:22 pm

I bought the blue bricks when they were on sale for 50-60% off, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered. But who knows if FUNi will think the DB Boxes would be profitable.

To be honest, the washed out colors bug me more than the slight cropping. At least it's not orange brick tier.
Last edited by Storm on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:30 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
DarkPrince_92 wrote:"Who the fuck looks for it" will forever be my question. "Oh in this shot, we're missing part of a cloud..." I can understand when a face get's severely cut off like in the Orange Bricks, but sometimes when I see some of these cropping examples, I question who actually makes it an issue. It's like ABED said, no one (in a normal audience) would see it unless someone pointed it out.
Exactly. If people didn't look for these details to hate on then they'd probably enjoy the release a lot more. I have to question how many people would hate the Bricks if they didn't have someone to tell them why they should hate them.
The orange bricks are so painfully obviously terrible, the others are fine. Not great but affordable and good quality.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Storm wrote:To be honest, the washed out colors bug me more than the slight cropping. At least it's not orange brick tier.
This. The Blue Bricks generally have far better colors, which can be a trade-off.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Eh....just get the Blue Bricks.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:52 pm

To springboard off of my previous post, the only time the cropping bothered me was when Goku kills Daimao, his arm from the punch is cut out:

This is just because it's such an iconic scene that I noticed it immediately, though I'm sure there could be other notable examples.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:17 pm

ABED wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:
The orange bricks are so painfully obviously terrible, the others are fine. Not great but affordable and good quality.
Tell that to the 90% of the people who buy them and don't notice a thing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:23 pm

It's not that they don't see the terrible things, they simply rationalize it with stuff like "I want the picture to fill my screen" and "you aren't missing anything important!"

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:34 pm

There are definitely times when I come close to breaking down and buying the Season Sets, but seeing comparison shots with the Dragon Box, I just can't forgive such zooming. Sure, it's not Orange Brick level cropping, but at least there, there's a (slightly) greater amount of picture on the sides. The with Blue Bricks it's just zoomed, with no footage to make up for what's lost.

A sucky situation, since I've still never seen the last ~3/4 of the series and I won't until we either get US Dragon Boxes, or a Blu-ray release. Hmm... I wonder if I'd get it if it were the zoomed FUNi footage. I suppose I would, considering the benefit would be HD glory ;)

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Personally I'd hold off on the Blue Bricks considering the zoomed footage, and the missing Openings/Endings, etc.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:11 pm

ABED wrote:It's not that they don't see the terrible things, they simply rationalize it with stuff like "I want the picture to fill my screen" and "you aren't missing anything important!"
But most of the average consumers literally don't realise there's anything wrong. It's only the few who actually go on forums and have it pointed out to them that actually realise there's a significant difference.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:23 am

90sDBZ wrote:
ABED wrote:It's not that they don't see the terrible things, they simply rationalize it with stuff like "I want the picture to fill my screen" and "you aren't missing anything important!"
But most of the average consumers literally don't realise there's anything wrong. It's only the few who actually go on forums and have it pointed out to them that actually realise there's a significant difference.
You'd have to be blind to not notice people's heads being cut off, and it's not like DBZ is mainstream. I'd like to see a venn diagram of DBZ viewers and those that go online to read up and discuss the show.

As for the DB season sets, I'm not sure we'll ever get the Dragon Boxes, and the sets are cheap.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:27 am

You want nothing cut, see if you can find the old sets. Though you'll need the blue brick for eps 1-13.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:31 am

Super Sonic wrote:You want nothing cut, see if you can find the old sets. Though you'll need the blue brick for eps 1-13.
The zooming is nowhere near as bad as the cropping, and by the "old sets" I assume you are referring to the "saga" sets that came out around 02-04? Some of them are cheap, some of them will cost you over 100 dollars. If you're willing to pay over twice as much for the OCCASSIONAL cut off arm, that's your choice.