Mr. Popo and Jynx a reference to racism?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Mr. Popo and Jynx a reference to racism?

Post by DBGod » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:50 am

There have been many theories as to why Mr. Popo and even Jynx (Pokemon) resemble obvious traits in a reference towards racism. Both characters contain exaggerated eyes and lips and contain a pure black skin colour which is also exaggerated. Jynx even wears gloves which is another blatant reference. The name Jynx even has a native meaning of "attracting bad luck." Mr. Popo is also a servant for Kami, a reference to slavery. The list can literally go on and on...

Anyway, what do you guys think of this topic, deliberate, or a complete coincidence?

If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!
"He's strong, oh he's strong alright. This is not good, hmmm...."

Fennekin
Not Banned

Re: Mr. Popo and Jynx a reference to racism?

Post by Fennekin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:09 am

This entire thread is a bad idea and will only create flaming and anger.

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:14 am

This is a perfectly reasonable topic. People who take it the wrong way are only exposing and making a fool of themselves, and can thus get strikes/bans. This site is for intelligent conversations about Dragonball, and I couldn't see why this can't be addressed in such a manner.
If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:48 am

http://youtu.be/p8X3l_Tt8VE
http://youtu.be/FQzsZpwjDHg?t=7m41s
These are good videos on the subject of Jynx.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:40 am

They're extreme caricatures that are a (dated) product of a nationalistic country who has a small population of black people (Especially back when Dragon Ball was being made).

IMO, they're characters no one should waste getting upset over. As I doubt there was seriously any "truly" racist intent behind their designs.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:26 am

I don't believe it's a reference to racism so much as it is a direct reference to just blackface itself.

Of course, in the U.S., we are taught that there is no difference between blackface and racism, and that's because of how deeply rooted in U.S. history blackface is...and more specifically, how deeply rooted in history it is as a means to demean black people by portraying them in an offensive, bafoonish, clown-like manner. Japan does not have that history.

On the other hand, Japan is most definitely a country that values cultural homogeneity. It's nothing specifically against black people, but rather, against foreigners, period. So it could be argued that while they did not intend to offend black people in their animation, they didn't particularly care if they did offend them either. A lack of understanding of blackface's historical context in U.S. history probably played a large part in it as well.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:37 am

I think Mr. Popo and Jynx are innocent in their designs. The Japanese have a history of being racially insensitive.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:11 am

It only became a racial issue when the US brought it up.

Games: They make you kill people.
Anime: That's obviously racist.
Films/TV: Sex is bad, violence is good.
Music: It's cool to disrespect women as if they were objects.

[Off-topic rant deleted at moderator's discretion]
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:06 pm

Yeah, I personally think its just a dated way to refer to an ethnic group. I almost forgot to mention that Commander Black is also in this category.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:09 pm

Look, it's actually very possible, if not LIKELY, that Mr. Popo's design is based off of old racist artwork. Usually associated with the term Sambo.

WARNING: Use of the N-word below
These basically spell it out for you immediately that, yes: Mr. Popo is first and foremost designed after old, racist interpretations of black people.

However, this doesn't necessarily mean there was any ill-will meant in his design, though I'd be remiss to say it's not inherently ignorant. Japanese culture, as stated before, has had a long history of remaining highly homogenous. For better or worse, they used to only borrow from other cultures very rarely and usually only employed certain elements when they do. As time has progressed, they've opened up a bit more and there are definitely steps being made, culturally, to be more well informed of other cultures, but by and large you're going to find a remarkable amount of imagery from back in the day that's going to make just about anyone from outside the country double-take.

Also, as far as Jynx goes, her design is actually based off of a JAPANESE trend called Ganguro Girls.

WARNING: ... Nothing really all that offensive here actually, that you haven't already seen.
It's this trend of tanning one's skin (naturally or with sprays) and bleaching the hair. I... think it looks incredibly stupid, myself, and apparently ganguro girls have a tendency to be total airheads. But whatever!

I'll admit, though, that her design is similar enough to the Sambo design that it's understandable that it makes a lot of westerners uncomfortable. Big, colorful lips on a pure black face with wide, vacant black and white eyes? Yeah, even with the pinkness of the lips and blonde hair, that's still uncomfortably close. Changing her skin color to purple made it... a bit better, but there's still all of that surreal similarity there and bad taste of the initial design lingering from before. True that these designs probably never occurred to children of their respective generations as racial stereotypes, but that doesn't necessarily excuse them either.

Either way, as an educated viewer, they don't bother me much at all.
Last edited by KaiserNeko on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:11 pm

Popo is a genie, and I think the similarities in his appearance to a golliwog are probably coincidental.

Toriyama's depiction of black-skinned people in Dragonball, however, is to me a little closer to the knuckle. His depiction of faces without much detail and large, thick lips particularly are enforcing of negative racial stereotypes to Western eyes. Having said that, towards the Manga and through his depiction of Uub I think he changed his style for the better.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:16 pm

DBGod wrote:Yeah, I personally think its just a dated way to refer to an ethnic group. I almost forgot to mention that Commander Black is also in this category.
Staff Officer Black in Japanese is... Black Sanbo (makes pun with Sambo).
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:58 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Also, as far as Jynx goes, her design is actually based off of a JAPANESE trend called Ganguro Girls.
Actually it has never been confirmed that's what its design is actually based on. And given the fact that the Ganguro trend started later then when Jynx would have been designed, it's far more likely that she's actually based on either Yuki-onna or Yama Uba (or likely borrowing traits from both). Not to mention sub sets of ganguro are based on Yama Uba.

But I get what you're saying, no ill intention was meant from Jynx's design. Hell, Ludicolo is a comparatively more offensive design.

Likewise, Toriyama also likely didn't mean any harm when designing Popo. It has more to do with ignorance than full on racism.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:06 pm

Films/TV: Sex is bad, violence is good.
Music: It's cool to disrespect women as if they were objects.
Reverse the Film part. Violence is bad but sex is good. For some reason EVERYTHING got sex in it now. Music thing I agree. Even women in music treat themselves like object.

On subject. I find them to be a black face, stereotyped, or maybe a RACIST JOKE. We all(Well..I'm sure most of us) made jokes about other races before. So I see no harm in this at all. It could be based on the (Warning N word)"Nigger" thing Neko posted up. Which isn't offensive to me at all(Black and Korean). I know in growing up in South Korea that there was some people who didn't like me because I was mixed. That's more racism than a simple anime-manga-video game character. So yes maybe it's a reference to racism. Not in a bad way. Just a racist joke or a stereotyped.

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:07 pm

I always did believe they were blatant references, but with no negative intentions. It must have still been culturally accepted at that time to depict an ethnic group as such.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:28 pm

This is a Wikipedia article, so take it with a grain of salt, but here's the "Japan" section of the Wikipedia article on blackface.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:30 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:Also, as far as Jynx goes, her design is actually based off of a JAPANESE trend called Ganguro Girls.
Actually it has never been confirmed that's what its design is actually based on. And given the fact that the Ganguro trend started later then when Jynx would have been designed, it's far more likely that she's actually based on either Yuki-onna or Yama Uba (or likely borrowing traits from both). Not to mention sub sets of ganguro are based on Yama Uba.

But I get what you're saying, no ill intention was meant from Jynx's design. Hell, Ludicolo is a comparatively more offensive design.

Likewise, Toriyama also likely didn't mean any harm when designing Popo. It has more to do with ignorance than full on racism.
Ah, alrighty. Thanks for the correction there; I thought it was basically settled upon that Ganguro was the main reference for the character. That makes a bit more sense though.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:39 pm

Personally, I wouldn't mind Mr. Popo so much, if it weren't for the fact that he also speaks like a cave man in the Japanese version. THAT'S what pushes it over the line, though fortunately, I'm listening to English Popo most of the time, so I don't usually notice.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:00 pm

Fionordequester wrote:Personally, I wouldn't mind Mr. Popo so much, if it weren't for the fact that he also speaks like a cave man in the Japanese version. THAT'S what pushes it over the line, though fortunately, I'm listening to English Popo most of the time, so I don't usually notice.
Yeah, it does make 'ya wonder what sort of different reaction Popo might have gotten out of U.S. audiences had his dialogue been more faithfully adapted in the dub.

Speaking of U.S. reactions, I do find it interesting that I've heard from a number of fans of DBZ/Kai who are black who said that they were actually more offended by the CW turning him blue than they were of his unaltered appearance.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:10 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Speaking of U.S. reactions, I do find it interesting that I've heard from a number of fans of DBZ/Kai who are black who said that they were actually more offended by the CW turning him blue than they were of his unaltered appearance.
I have to assume that's just due to it being changed in the first place. Kinda like how they stopped airing Speedy Gonzalez cartoons and fans got up in arms about.

It's far worse trying to hide the fact that the character's looks like a black sambo. Not to mention the edit just looks awful.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!