"Explain why DBZ is bad."

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thatdbzguy
Banned

"Explain why DBZ is bad."

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Since people have been asking me to explain why DBZ is bad, I'm dedicating this topic to doing just that. Basically, I'll list my main points, and give examples of them and why they negatively affect the series.

A repetitive, overly simplistic story
Ever saga in DBZ follows the same basic formula: Bad guy shows up, good guys get there ass beaten, good guys train, Goku beats bad guy (excluding Cell Games). This would not be such a problem if DBZ provided some sort of depth and complexity for each saga that helped to separate themselves more form the basic formula. But no, that's far from the case. Instead, we get barebones stories that only show off this issue more than DBZ already was.

Characters range from being one-dimensional to two-dimensional
DBZ's philosophies are very black and white, and the characters themselves almost never deviate from the traits that they're introduced with. (Ex: Goku) The fact that not a single character can be considered three-dimensional or more in the story is pitiful, and it goes to show that Toriyama hardly put any effort into making them. Even when character's do experience some kind of development, it usually feels forced and unnatural (like Piccolo's relationship with Gohan, Vegeta and Bulma having a kid, etc.)

Making everyone who isn't a Saiyan useless
This one is pretty self-explanatory. A good story knows how to properly balance the relevance of each character. DBZ does not do this.

Plot holes and inconsistencies
Vegeta saying self-inflicted wounds don't start Zenkai's despite Goku previously doing so, Freeza knowing the dragon he saw as he was heading towards Gohan and the others was Porunga despite having practically no knowledge of how the Dragon Balls worked, time travel in general producing plot holes, Cell surviving Goku's IT Kamehameha despite his entire upper body getting blown off, and God knows how many more. Does a story with countless amounts of plot holes seem like a good story to you?

Far too heavy of a reliance on characters making stupid decisions just to move the plot forward
Goku letting Vegeta go was stupid. Freeza ignoring Dende as he flew past him was stupid. Krillin never using the Kienzan + Taiyoken combo was stupid. Letting Gero create the androids was stupid. Vegeta letting Cell reach his perfect form was stupid. Goku not telling anyone about the RoSaT during the 3 year wait was stupid (although the RoSaT itself is a major deus ex machina). Goku not finishing off Fat Buu while he had the chance was stupid. Not saving time by teaching the fusion dance to Goten and Trunks in the RoSaT was stupid. A story should not have to rely so heavily on the stupidity of its characters.

Deus Ex Machinas
The RoSaT, fusion, SSJ3, and pretty much everything else in the Buu saga are major deus ex machinas. DeM's tend to kill the beleivability of stories, even ones as ridiculous as DBZ's.

Death Meaning Nothing
Thanks to the Dragon Balls, we know that anyone who dies can simply just be wished back to life, and this kills so much of the drama that you just end up not caring when someone dies.

And these are the reasons I currently remember as to why DBZ is objectively bad. Show DBZ to anyone who has studied extensively in the study of quality literature, and they will laugh right in your face.

It's fine to enjoy DBZ, but for the very few fans out there who still consider it good, please open your eyes. A story that's guilty of everything I've talked about just isn't good.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Explain why DBZ is bad."

Post by Gutsxgoku » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:35 pm

You do know what forum you posted this on right?

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Gutsxgoku wrote:You do know what forum you posted this on right?
I'm fully aware.

Most DBZ fans, however, accept that DBZ isn't really an objectively good series. This was for the people who don't, and asked me to explain.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:44 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:It's fine to enjoy DBZ, but for the very few fans out there who still consider it good, please open your eyes. A story that's guilty of everything I've talked about just isn't good.
Again. In YOUR opinion. Your opinion does not reflect what everyone else should conform to.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:46 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
I'm fully aware.

Most DBZ fans, however, accept that DBZ isn't really an objectively good series. This was for the people who don't, and asked me to explain.
Who are "most" fans? Show us this place where "most" fans agree that it is a bad series. That obviously doesn't seem to be the case here, going by the reactions you keep getting.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:50 pm

I agree with most of this post, actually. It's good to move on from thinking this show is a ball of great plot once in a while. It allows other works to breathe and become their own thing in the mind of the viewer.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:52 pm

TheAldella wrote:I agree with most of this post, actually. It's good to move on from thinking this show is a ball of great plot once in a while. It allows other works to breathe and become their own thing in the mind of the viewer.
I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence. Could you elaborate on that?
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Well, at least you stated your reasons. However, while the vast majority of us here can find a fair few flaws in Dragon Ball, we still think it's good. Bear in mind DB started out as a gag manga, so expecting a masterpiece in storytelling from it like you criticise it for will guarantee disappointment.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:
I'm fully aware.

Who are "most" fans? Show us this place where "most" fans agree that it is a bad series. That obviously doesn't seem to be the case here, going by the reactions you keep getting.
There is no specific place I can point you to (besides maybe DBZF). Most DBZ fans are pretty spread out across the internet.

I've only gotten like, 3 reactions here consisting of people disagreeing with me. I've also gotten some that agree with me.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Weejus wrote:Well, at least you stated your reasons. However, while the vast majority of us here can find a fair few flaws in Dragon Ball, we still think it's good. Bear in mind DB started out as a gag manga, so expecting a masterpiece in storytelling from it like you criticise it for will guarantee disappointment.
Why do you think it's good if it does practically everything that makes for a good story abysmally?
Khalid Shahin wrote:

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Gonstead wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:It's fine to enjoy DBZ, but for the very few fans out there who still consider it good, please open your eyes. A story that's guilty of everything I've talked about just isn't good.
Again. In YOUR opinion. Your opinion does not reflect what everyone else should conform to.
I don't think there's anybody out there who has the opinion that bad stories are good stories.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:58 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
Weejus wrote:Well, at least you stated your reasons. However, while the vast majority of us here can find a fair few flaws in Dragon Ball, we still think it's good. Bear in mind DB started out as a gag manga, so expecting a masterpiece in storytelling from it like you criticise it for will guarantee disappointment.
Why do you think it's good if it does practically everything that makes for a good story abysmally?
I enjoy it for its action, its humour, its characters and its art. Sure, the plot is levied with more deus ex machinas as the plot nears its climax and I've hated the fact that the Dragon Balls ultimately means death has no consequence but I never expected the story to be great, and I wouldn't describe it as abysmal in any regard.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:59 pm

thatdbzguy wrote: There is no specific place I can point you to (besides maybe DBZF). Most DBZ fans are pretty spread out across the internet.

I've only gotten like, 3 reactions here consisting of people disagreeing with me. I've also gotten some that agree with me.
I can think of (and quote, if you'd like) at least one other time you've originated this kind of discussion within the last month, and have yet to see more than one or two people agree with you that Dragon Ball is "objectively bad." Most people who have commented have disagreed with you on that point, and have only agreed with your premise that the series is flawed. However, being flawed does not make it "objectively bad."

Also, the internet fanbase of Dragon Ball is still just a minority of the fanbase as a whole. If Dragon Ball was this abyssimal mess of a work, then why has it achieved the popularity it has? Why are people still discussing today a series that has been finished, more or less, for over 15 years? If it is "objectively bad" then what point would there be in discussing it, and why does it continue to bring in new fans, year after year?
thatdbzguy wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
I don't think there's anybody out there who has the opinion that bad stories are good stories.
Who determines if a story is good or bad?
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:02 pm

I don't view having a simplistic story not a terrible thing. A lot of good movies have a simple story like Wizard of Oz, Star Wars, most Clint Eastwood's Westerns and most Disney movies. DBZ is not high art, but I like the series having characters that I care for and it can show that anyone can become good no matter evil they are.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:02 pm

Last I checked DBZ was widely considered to be the greatest anime/action cartoon of all time. Sure it has its critics but generally it's very loved by its fans. Even I can admit it's flawed but it's still my favourite show of all time and I could never call it bad.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote: There is no specific place I can point you to (besides maybe DBZF). Most DBZ fans are pretty spread out across the internet.

I can think of (and quote, if you'd like) at least one other time you've originated this kind of discussion within the last month, and have yet to see more than one or two people agree with you that Dragon Ball is "objectively bad." Most people who have commented have disagreed with you on that point, and have only agreed with your premise that the series is flawed. However, being flawed does not make it "objectively bad."

Also, the internet fanbase of Dragon Ball is still just a minority of the fanbase as a whole. If Dragon Ball was this abyssimal mess of a work, then why has it achieved the popularity it has? Why are people still discussing today a series that has been finished, more or less, for over 15 years? If it is "objectively bad" then what point would there be in discussing it, and why does it continue to bring in new fans, year after year?
By that logic, Justin Bieber is one of the greatest mucisians of all time because of his popularity.

And doing the opposite of what DBZ did is what makes a good story.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:06 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Last I checked DBZ was widely considered to be the greatest anime/action cartoon of all time.
:lol: By who? 5-year-olds?
Khalid Shahin wrote:

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:06 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:And doing the opposite of what DBZ did is what makes a good story.
Again, in your opinion perhaps but not everyone else.

I'll freely admit that the series is flawed but to say that the entire series has no redeeming value and nobody likes it is pure nonsense.
thatdbzguy wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Last I checked DBZ was widely considered to be the greatest anime/action cartoon of all time.
Oh I don't know..... most fans of the series perhaps?
Last edited by Gonstead on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:07 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
You don't take opinions well, do you?
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:07 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:

By that logic, Justin Bieber is one of the greatest mucisians of all time because of his popularity.

And doing the opposite of what DBZ did is what makes a good story.
If some people consider him to be the greatest, you can disagree, but you can't say they are wrong. How does one determine who the greatest musician is?
That's not an answer. What qualities does a story have to have for it to be considered "objectively good?" You've said that DB is bad, now what is a universally good series?
Malik_DBNA wrote: