Most disturbing death

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Most disturbing death

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:12 pm

What do you think the most disturbing death in the series was? My pick is a tie between Babidi making Spopovich explode and Super Buu forcing himself down a man's throat until he bursts.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Most disturbing death

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:16 pm

I have to go with the death of the old married couple by that prick and his manservant.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:18 pm

Off the top of my head, it would have to be Cell absorbing that rich guy.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:23 pm

So far I'd have to agree with everything mentioned. They're all pretty messed up. I'll also toss this into the mix though - Tao spearing Bora in mid-air. The death itself isn't unfeasibly brutal in the same way the others' mentioned are, but it's still pretty twisted. He kills the guy in front of his son, a son who it's pretty clear practically hero-worships his father. That's pretty disturbing when you think about it.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Dabura turned into a cookie and eaten... as silly as that sounds, that's easily straight out of a nightmare.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:28 pm

People already said my main chooses. But to me. The last image of Krillin's death creeps me out. I honestly can tell you I had nightmares about Krillin's murder. Which is before Tamboruine was shown. So it was just someone with glow in dark red eyes with the image of Krillin dying and then I switch places with Krillin and I was dead. It was a horrible time.

When this is the last thing you see in the episode. It freaks me out.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Dodoria snapping that Namekian's neck came first thing to mind.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:53 pm

Majin Boo punching Babidi's head in, and Kuririn's first death.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Patrick
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patrick » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:55 pm

I always thought Future Gohan's death from Future 17 & 18 was absolutely brutal, and Trunks finding his body was pretty emotional as well.

Second place goes to Dodoria snapping that warrior Namekian's neck. I remember looking away from the screen after he did it, I was mortified.
Zephyr wrote:Toriyama's not breaking into everyone's homes and editing your copy of the manga with a pen to include Goku's mom and this "blasphemous" information about her.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:15 am

You don't actually see them die, but the cutaway to the dead family where Babidi's ship is in Chapter 446, complete with bisected mother, dead father with a missing hand, and a bloody head wound on the son is pretty nasty.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Landcross

Post by Landcross » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:11 am

Vegeta on Namek. DUDE IS CRYING. VEGETA IS CRYING!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:19 am

That guy who Dr. Gero killed by crushing his neck
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:24 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:That guy who Dr. Gero killed by crushing his neck
I assume you are referring to the far more graphic depiction in the manga where he decapitates the poor guy.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:44 am

For the most disturbing deaths, aside from no name side characters, General Blue, Bora, and Piccolo Daimaos were pretty gruesome. Tenshinhans brutal beating by Nappa is up there.

Vegeta may take the cake from an emotional and imagery standpoint. Freeza's slow beating of him and his final breath is too epic.

Then I'd say when Boo absorbs Gotenks and Piccolo, and then later Gohan. Their "apparent" deaths seamed pretty damn disturbing to the surviving characters.

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystic Buu » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:11 am

Goku's first death.

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonZ » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:14 am

Kuririn's first death
Yamcha's second death (Dr.Gero)

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:17 am

Mine would have to definitely be awarded to that Budokai Tenkaichi attendant whose head gets exploded by Babidi. That was pretty intense and seem to come out of nowhere as well, at least considering how light things were and how things hit the fan rather quickly.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:47 am

The rich fatass who was devoured by Cell and then Kuririn being impaled by Freeza but he didn't die (should have) so it doesn't count.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:47 am

That Budokai worker/monk/priest (?) who got his head blown up by Babidi. Maybe my second would go to the previously mentioned slaughtered family next to Babidi's spaceship.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:04 pm

ABED wrote:I have to go with the death of the old married couple by that prick and his manservant.
You're the only person that I've seen point that out. I love that scene. It feels so "real" to me, that people would be so sick to take advantage of such unfortunate circumstances and use it as a cover to perform more acts of evil.