"Budokai 3" vs "Sparking!" (Preference?)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

"Budokai 3" vs "Sparking!" (Preference?)

Post by Great Saiyaman » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:39 am

Which game do you prefer?

Personally I like Tenkaichi the best. I like the fact that you can run & hide if you need & that the entire battle field is destructible. Also it has a lot of characters & a lot of transformations.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:54 am

Budokai 3. Better everything. Graphics, gameplay, story mode, and controls. BT only has about 5 actual characters, the rest are just alternate skins on the same characters.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:09 am

Budokai 3. Everything that Xyex said, plus I get the feeling the gameplay is more faster than BT. Or at least, Budokai 2 is.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:59 am

It's kinda an unfair comparison for me. First, they're 2 entirely different types of gameplay, and second, Budokai Tenkaichi is MUCH fresher and new to me. I've only been playing it a few days, but I've had Budokai 3 for much longer :P

But I love 'em both.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:02 am

I'll take Super Sonic Warriors 2/Bukuu Ressen over ethier of them. :P

Otherwise, I guess Budokai Tenkaichi since the fighting has a lot more freedom and doesnt rely on "Rock, Papper, Scissors" to decide whether or not you take damage from a certain attack. Budokai 3 would of been great if Dragon Rush wasnt so overused or in the game at all, and instead focused more on the melee fighting and movesets of the characters, not that BT expands much more on that aspect ethier, which is something I've some to not expect from a new/rehashed Budokai game.

Last Son of Krypton
Beyond Newbie

Post by Last Son of Krypton » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:33 am

Budokai 3. It has some degree of difficulty and replay factor. Tenkaichi has neither.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:21 pm

Leotaku wrote:It's kinda an unfair comparison for me. First, they're 2 entirely different types of gameplay, and second, Budokai Tenkaichi is MUCH fresher and new to me. I've only been playing it a few days, but I've had Budokai 3 for much longer :P

But I love 'em both.
Just because they're different types of gameplay doesn't mean they can't be compared. If that was the case it would be impossible for someone to say something like: "Indigo Propehcy's a lot more fun than Shinobi" since those two games aren't the same genre in the least. And yet, I still like IP more than Shinobi.

That aside they're NOT different, at all. Yes, B3 features traditional side-view fighting action, not behind the character action/adventure style action. But they're STILL fighting games and are therefor 100% the same when it comes to comparing them.

And don't worry, you'll start to notice the issues with BT soon enough, most likely. I couldn't stop playing for about a week. And then I beat the game and realized that, even though I was still missing a few Potaras, there was nothing left to do. Story Mode's not as fun as in B1, didn't want to play that again. The ranking mode is pointless. Versus is boring after the second fight. And World Tournament is pointless after going through each level once.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:47 pm

Budokai 3. You can actually defeat the AI. :P
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:27 pm

I like Budoukai 3's story mode better, but prefer Sparking's ability to run around the entire battlefield and blow up parts of the background.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:34 pm

Budokai 3 for sure and here's why:

Budokai Tenkaichi is certainly a fresh take on things for about a week and a half, but then a few things start to get to me. There isn't enough variety in combat and things can get pretty repetitive. The music and SFX, for some reason, gives me a headache. Environments are not as free-roaming as I thought they would be, and they are also not as destructable as I thought as well (some rock formations, a couple of trees, and some other random things. :roll:) Last but not least are some characters that they just rolled over for some reason. Honestly, I'd rather see Coolers 1st and Meta forms, GT Uub, and Pikkon before seeing Master Roshi, and Tao Pai Pai. Get in the good stuff first, you know?

So, that is why I ended up going back to Budokai 3. Granted it isn't perfect either, but that's always the case. I just think from a game standpoint, it is more complete and fulfilling then BT. Nothing beats being able to transform in the heat of battle which is a part seemingly removed from BT.
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:07 pm

They are two tottaly different games you can't compare, I'd say.
Sparking= action/fighting gamme wich represents dbz better in a way (without the fact that there are no transformations).
and budokai3= a good fighter, more traditional way.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:23 am

I've enjoyed both of them quite a bit, however I am going to have to say B3. In fact, as much as I enjoy BT/Sparking, I would prefer to play even B1 over it, because the game is too goddamn difficult.
When I play the Budokai games lately, I casually fight matches, have a little fun- win or lose. You can't do this with BT, the game takes far too much concentration to be a casual excercise, unless you want to keep dying constantly.

Last Son of Krypton
Beyond Newbie

Post by Last Son of Krypton » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:29 am

lost in thought wrote:I've enjoyed both of them quite a bit, however I am going to have to say B3. In fact, as much as I enjoy BT/Sparking, I would prefer to play even B1 over it, because the game is too goddamn difficult.
When I play the Budokai games lately, I casually fight matches, have a little fun- win or lose. You can't do this with BT, the game takes far too much concentration to be a casual excercise, unless you want to keep dying constantly.
Why does everyone keep saying BT is difficult? Compared to other DBZ games it is pathetically easy. Even on Normal mode it is easy.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:29 am

If it weren't for the mad difficulty in Budokai Tenkaichi, I'd prefer that over Budokai 3.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:11 am

Last Son of Krypton wrote:Why does everyone keep saying BT is difficult? Compared to other DBZ games it is pathetically easy. Even on Normal mode it is easy.
Just because you're good at the game doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:58 am

I definitely prefer Budokai 3 over Budokai Tenkaichi, reasons being many. First off, the game-play. While Tenkaichi does give more free roaming environments, it gives far too many characters the exact same moves (the double energy blast volley, that new dragon rush that can't be broken out of). When it comes to Tenkaichi's new version of "dragon rush", as most of the characters get this rush attack, I find that the computer overuses it just as much as in Budokai 3, only this time the rock-paper-sciccors element is gone, meaning breaking out of it is impossible. The AI in Tenkaichi is also very annoying, how Last Son of Krypton got it supposedly nailed on "Normal" is beyond my knowledge, as I had to play the friggin' thing on "Easy" (the "tutorial" was of no help, had to learn basically all on my own through playing). They pretty much wasted character space by making new fighters of characters that were already selectable, and they proved by giving Goku Kaioken as a technique that in-game-transformations were possible, yet you'd have to pic what exact form to use at the start of the battle, and no transforming and fusing in battle is just less fun to me.

Also, the story mode. Budokai 3, despite the fact that we didn't get an optional selection for the Japanese VAs, was beyond awesome. It was not only a fighter, but it also used a new world-flying element (sorta seen in Legacy of Goku 2), combined that with RPG elements such as interacting with other characters through optional landing spots, and we could even level our fighters' stats up. While the cut-scenes weren't the best impression, you could tell that they at least put damn good effort in the designing of Namek and Earth when world-flying, not to mention the fact that it was much more interactive than Tenkaichi's proved to be. The game-play and graphics as well, quite better in Budokai 3 than Tenkaichi's, character facial expressions actually change, and the finishing moves look like they're right out of the anime. Some people whine and complain about the computer overusing the dragonrush in Budokai 3, but look at it this way, there's no way on Earth you wanna get stuck in a rush attack in Tenkaichi, it's very hard to teleport and there's absolutely no way to break out, unlike what Budokai 3's rock-paper-scissiors system gives us.

When looking at Budokai 3's story mode, look at Budokai Tenkaichi's. It's pure cut-scenes, cut-scenes of which aren't nearly as impressive as Budokai 1's (hell I even prefer Budokai 3's still images over Tenkaichi's), and there's absolutely no interactive elements outside of the 148 long, dragging, and harsh fights. No world-flying system, no way to level your fighter up, and nothing of much interest considering we all know the story anyway, there's basically no interactive or RPG game-play elements in Z Battle Gate. Also, when looking at Tenkaichi's Ultimate Battle option, there's absolutely no point in doing it, no extra characters to unlock, no extra arenas, can't even level a fighter up. However in Budokai 3's Dragon Arena, we could level our fighter up, have goals to actually strive for while kicking ass (unlocking Cell Games rule, Cell Jr., Saibaman, ect.). It just shows that Budokai 3 has much more replayability factors than Tenkaichi's, I'll even say right now that Budokai 3 took me literally 6 months to get 100% capsules, whilst Budokai Tenkaichi only took me ONE full day to unlock all the characters, tournament rules, options, Z Battle Gate battles, and basically that being all (I didn't go to the trouble with Ultimate Battle, considering there's virtually no point in doing it). Just goes to show ya', Budokai 3 is quite superior to say the least.

Lastly, just for the hell of it, I'll bring up a little bit of other stuff. I think Budokai 3 succeeded so well because it already had 2 previous attempts under its belt, a well practiced and prepared development studio, and didn't focus on giving us the absolute best story mode, but a genuine story mode which we could very much enjoy to the fullest, and still make the rest of the game outside of Dragon Universe very fun to play and give us many more things to strive for. Budokai Tenkaichi on the other hand, it started an all new game engine from the ground up, SPIKE had only previous experience with wrestling games, had to do 90 all new character designs and find ways to give all the fighters 3 main moves each (all while trying to do it within a time limit and still try and make it seem interesting), they went to the apparent trouble of making very lousy cut-scenes for practicly 150 battles in the story mode (which just showed that they focused their attention too heavily on that rather than making the game mode more interactive and fun to come back and play more than once), they ended up giving us a basically worthless copycat mode of Dragon Arena (except no leveling-up system, absolutely nothing to strive for, and basically nothing of interest within it), and wasted their time on making that way-too-ambitious CG opening movie when they could have just hired Toei to animate an awesome as hell 2D opener (I.E. Budokai 2, Budokai 3, and Sagas). When it all comes down to it, Budokai 3 had the right motivations and background experience, Budokai Tenkaichi just went for too many things in such a short time limit that it basically became a repetitive fighter game that had nothing to strive for after beating its story mode, no different interactive/RPG elements such as world flying or leveling-up and focused too much on cut-scenes, the new game engine, and in the end, we never did see a smile on Goku's normally carefree face.

Whew, that took a while to type, if I was anymore whipped I'd be butter.
14 years later

Phred
Beyond Newbie

Post by Phred » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:44 am

I like Tenkaichi, because you can play as Gogeta for more than a few seconds! And uh, Budokai 3 is also good, ultimate attacks are really cinematic and cool, and the music was awesome when you destroyed a level... yeah, I want to like them both equaly, but I only own Tenkaichi, and my friend doesn't really like to play older games once he gets new ones, even though it technicaly isn't a Budokai game...
And the two games work together with that whole password thing!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:18 pm

I prefer Tenkaichi.

First, there's no more crappy in-game transformations/fusions. Finally, Vegetto, Gogeta, SSj3 Goku, and Gotenks are actually usable.

Second, it just feels more like Dragonball Z. Tell me, when does Goku ever fight in base until he gets the energy to go SSj3? When did he ever forget how to use the Kamehameha? Why does he need Kaioken to go SSJ?

Third, story mode. BT has the story mode closest to B1's, and that makes it a winner. Sure, it's not perfect (the cutscenes are kinda wooden), but it's still awesome. Especially the what-ifs, like Revenge of the Saiyans, or the Oozaru Vegeta vs Oozaru Goku fight in the Saiyan Saga.

I didn't really like B3's RPG-type stuff. At least in LoG2 and 3, levelling up unlocked new stuff. In B3, nothing. Take everybody to lvl 99 and you get nothing. Woo.

Fourth, characters. I don't care if a lot of moves are repeated because, hey, a lot of moves were repeated. If I'm not mistaken, this game's got more characters than even Legendary Super Warriors. And they were smart enough to drop Uub and Supreme Kai.

Plus, you can play as Master Roshi and Tao Pai Pai! How fucking cool is that?!

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:22 pm

Rocketman wrote:I prefer Tenkaichi.

First, there's no more crappy in-game transformations/fusions. Finally, Vegetto, Gogeta, SSj3 Goku, and Gotenks are actually usable.
Vegetto, Gogeta, SSJ3 Goku, and Gotenks are all perfectly useable in B3. Only SSJ4 Gogeta and SSJ3 Gotenks have time issues, but that's understandable, and more 'realistic' to the show than being able to pick them and let the game sit for 2 hours and never de-fusing.
Rocketman wrote:Second, it just feels more like Dragonball Z. Tell me, when does Goku ever fight in base until he gets the energy to go SSj3? When did he ever forget how to use the Kamehameha? Why does he need Kaioken to go SSJ?
Tell me, when was Hercule able to beat SSJ4 Gogeta? When did Buu Era SSJ Goku forget how to transform or power-down?
Rocketman wrote:Third, story mode. BT has the story mode closest to B1's, and that makes it a winner. Sure, it's not perfect (the cutscenes are kinda wooden), but it's still awesome. Especially the what-ifs, like Revenge of the Saiyans, or the Oozaru Vegeta vs Oozaru Goku fight in the Saiyan Saga.
When I first head cutscenes I loved it. When I saw them, I hated it. They suck. They're WORSE than the cut-outs in B3 and the animation-scenes of B2. Aside from that, the What-ifs in BT are done very badly, the what-if sagas (just like the movie sagas) are pointless. Most of them are only a single fight! :evil:
Rocketman wrote:I didn't really like B3's RPG-type stuff. At least in LoG2 and 3, levelling up unlocked new stuff. In B3, nothing. Take everybody to lvl 99 and you get nothing. Woo.
You got stronger characters. That was the point to leveling up. I like it, it adds another layer to the game. But since you don't like the fact you get nothing for level up in B3 you must hate the 100 character ranking mode of BT since you really do get nothing from it. Potara's you had already, sure, but nothing else. At least in B3 you got EXP and levels.
Rocketman wrote:Fourth, characters. I don't care if a lot of moves are repeated because, hey, a lot of moves were repeated. If I'm not mistaken, this game's got more characters than even Legendary Super Warriors. And they were smart enough to drop Uub and Supreme Kai.

Plus, you can play as Master Roshi and Tao Pai Pai! How fucking cool is that?!
There's 5 characters in BT. That's it. Small, Medium, Lage, Huge, and Super Armor. There are far more repeated moves in BT than in any of the Budokais. Plus, dropping Uub and Supreme Kai = dumb. Tao and Roshi were cool at first, but that wore off after I learned they were the same as everyone else, just looked and sounded different. Playing as Tao or Roshi is he same as playing as Mystic Gohan or about a dozen others.
<Xyex> Good point.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:27 pm

Xyex wrote:Vegetto, Gogeta, SSJ3 Goku, and Gotenks are all perfectly useable in B3. Only SSJ4 Gogeta and SSJ3 Gotenks have time issues, but that's understandable, and more 'realistic' to the show than being able to pick them and let the game sit for 2 hours and never de-fusing.
Using any fusion meant sacrificing all seven capsule spaces in exchange for one deathmove and a [Vegetto] hyper-mode hit + a random button press that leaves you stuck with only the deathmove if you fail or [Gogeta/Gotenks] a hyper-mode hit + less than twenty seconds of fighting time.

To use SSj3 Goku, you either are restricted to a max of three single-stacked attacks, or you go Breakthrough. And both Breakthrough and Fusion are pretty much crap versus a custom setup.
Tell me, when was Mr. Satan able to beat SSJ4 Gogeta? When did Buu Era SSJ Goku forget how to transform or power-down?
Hercule can beat SSj4 Gogeta when a generic 'Potential' capsule makes you more powerful than Super Saiyan 2 does.

I'll grant you that, since I just remembered that awesome part of the Kid Buu fight. Remember when Kid Buu knocked Goku out of SSj3? Wasn't it awesome how base Goku hopped up and smacked Buu around until he could go SSj3 again?
When I first head cutscenes I loved it. When I saw them, I hated it. They suck. They're WORSE than the cut-outs in B3 and the animation-scenes of B2. Aside from that, the What-ifs in BT are done very badly, the what-if sagas (just like the movie sagas) are pointless. Most of them are only a single fight! :evil:
Eh, I'll give you that too. They aren't worse than the cutouts, though.

You got stronger characters. That was the point to leveling up. I like it, it adds another layer to the game. But since you don't like the fact you get nothing for level up in B3 you must hate the 100 character ranking mode of BT since you really do get nothing from it. Potara's you had already, sure, but nothing else. At least in B3 you got EXP and levels.
Stronger characters don't really mean much to me. The only opponents I have to fight were the AI or my best friend. I could already beat the AI and against my friend, it doesn't really change it whether we use regular or lvl-99.
There's 5 characters in BT. That's it. Small, Medium, Lage, Huge, and Super Armor. There are far more repeated moves in BT than in any of the Budokais. Plus, dropping Uub and Supreme Kai = dumb. Tao and Roshi were cool at first, but that wore off after I learned they were the same as everyone else, just looked and sounded different. Playing as Tao or Roshi is he same as playing as Mystic Gohan or about a dozen others.
Dropping Uub was possibly the single greatest thing Tenkaichi did. Now if they just retcon Uub out, I can die happy. And Supreme Kai shouldn't be anything more than the announcer.

Besides, where the characters really that different in B3, aside from small things like swords, poles, and stretch arms?

Don't get me wrong, I like B3. I think it's a good fighting game. But Tenkaichi, IMO, is a far superior DBZ game.