Will you buy the Majin Boo arc when it's released on BD/DVD?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Will you buy the Majin Boo arc when it's released on BD/

Post by B » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:10 am

Techincally, according to Toei, Kai has two seasons: 1-54 is Season 1 and 55-98 is Season 2. The back of the R2 DVDs say "1st SEASON" and "2nd SEASON" respectively, even though they weren't produced like that.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:59 am

penguintruth wrote:
bkev wrote:
However you slice it, DBZ did not, at any point, have nine seasons.

Just "Buu Arc Part 1 (Episodes 99-Whatever)" and "Buu Arc Part 2 (Episodes Whatever-WhateverYo)" and so on will do.

A season of television is just a set amount of weeks the show airs new episodes before breaking for continued production.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember Toonami splitting the Buu Saga into 3 parts. The final was the last 13 episodes or something and they showed it during Spring I believe?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:40 pm

B wrote:Techincally, according to Toei, Kai has two seasons: 1-54 is Season 1 and 55-98 is Season 2. The back of the R2 DVDs say "1st SEASON" and "2nd SEASON" respectively, even though they weren't produced like that.
True. So I suppose this would be the official Season 3 and not "Season 5".

FUNimation should have used "Dragon Ball Z Kai: Collection One" (or Volume, Part, Set, Box) because they don't really have any authority to be breaking it into seasons, that's Toei Animation if they want to.

Dragon Ball apparently has five "Seasons" and Dragon Ball GT has two "Seasons".. come on FUNimation. :?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Morgil

Post by Morgil » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:59 pm

I bought the previous eight releases of Kai on DVD, cuz at the time i did not have an HDTV or bluray player. Now i do have an HDTV and bluray player, so i will definitely be buying the bluray version of the Buu episodes when Funi releases them. The big question for me is whether or not i should go back and buy blurays for the older episodes because a) I'm not exactly made of money, and b) if i do buy the blurays, what do i do with the dvds i already have?
[url]http://forums.chozosanctuary.com/[/url]

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:09 pm

I'll definitely get it.

I mostly want it for the dub, and the improved pacing is a large plus as well. It's a shame about the music and (potentially) the colors, but there's still a lot to like in my eyes.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:18 am

Definitely. I was very disappointed when I learned DBZ Kai would end after the Cell Games Saga. In fact, I wouldn't have started buying the Blu-ray volumes in the first place if I had known the show wouldn't be complete. Now that we're finally getting the Buu Saga, I will complete the collection. The only question is if I will get the volumes as they're released, or wait for the inevitable season sets.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:23 pm

What do we reckon Funimation will release this as?
If it really is 69 episodes.

Three Season sets?
Six individual discs?
Both?

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:04 pm

dan2026 wrote:What do we reckon Funimation will release this as?
If it really is 69 episodes.

Three Season sets?
Six individual discs?
Both?
They haven't done singles for Kai, at least not in the US. I think you might mean Parts here. I don't know if they'll do Parts (and this is assuming that they're doing this at all), but I'm pretty sure they'll do Seasons. If this episode count is legit, it'd be 3 Seasons. That's.........a lot more than I would've expected. That would mean they're keeping in a large amount of filler.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:29 pm

6 boxes for the Parts' collection and 3 boxes for the Seasons' collection.

69 episodes doesn't seem much of a filler-less arc, I was expecting it to be around 30 episodes or less kinda disappointed, eh. :|
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:07 pm

If it is true they are still cutting 23 episodes worth of content.
It doesn't sound like a lot until you think each episode has about 20 minutes of content minus OP and ED.
Which I make about 7.6 hours worth.

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:09 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:6 boxes for the Parts' collection and 3 boxes for the Seasons' collection.
The parts were originally thirteen episodes each. Parts six through eight contained fewer episodes because the Artificial Human / Cell arc had fewer episodes than the Saiyan / Freeza one. After doing the math, sixty-nine episodes should be divided into no more than five parts. Five provides fourteen episodes each for four sets and thirteen for the remaining one. Toei may even continue the four part precedent and simultaneously avert accusations of greed. This would mean three sets each contain seventeen episodes and one contains eighteen episodes. A six-part release would equate to an average of 11.5 episodes per part and not one, but two more parts than each of the previous arcs. Again with the appearance of greed thing. I am convinced such a strategy is too impractical to be likely. If Buu Kai does go straight to seasons, though, three seasons would not be so outlandish. It would result in twenty-three episodes per set; more than season four, which is noticeably slimmer than the previous sets, and solidly on par with TV series seasons designed using the season format. Star Wars: The Clone Wars, for example, had twenty-two episodes each in its first four seasons. Arrow is set to have twenty-three for its second, and had the same amount for its first.
Last edited by SSJ Electric Fury on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:32 pm

As others have said, I'll buy it for the improved dub and completion.

I'll mostly likely wait for the bigger sets, though.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:23 am

@Fury that's a more accurate guess yeah.

Seeing as how I have little interest in Kai's Majin Boo arc due to the music and picture quality I'll probably just get the Parts' when they're all out.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:28 am

I will probably will end up buying the French releases.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:26 am

I will buy the Funi releases for sure (in "Season" sets), just to have the show in 4:3 AR with the english dub *ç*... if they find a way to fix the green tint, it would be even better ! :thumbup:
To be honest, I would like to buy the Japanese Blu Ray boxes first, but it will be too expensive, given the price of the previous releases.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:26 pm

Probably not. I don't own Kai anymore so be pointless just buying the Buu Saga. Furthermore I'm satisfyed with the Z dub of Buu Saga and at 69 episodes, there really isn't any point. Plus Kai completely skipped the other world tournament :(

Regarding FUNImation using "seasons", well they use collections for OP, Fairy Tail etc so not too sure why they decided on using "Season" for DBZ(K).

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:06 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:FUNimation should have used "Dragon Ball Z Kai: Collection One" (or Volume, Part, Set, Box) because they don't really have any authority to be breaking it into seasons, that's Toei Animation if they want to.

Dragon Ball apparently has five "Seasons" and Dragon Ball GT has two "Seasons".. come on FUNimation. :?
You realize Toei gives them the authority to do so, and approves those kinds of things right? (Hell, Toei had the American Season BDs on display at a recent animation event in Japan.)
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:17 am

Bluray. It might be released widescreen-only though. A good way to "remove" tape marks, even though I prefer fullscreen for Z.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:10 am

ShinGaijin wrote:I will buy the Funi releases for sure (in "Season" sets), just to have the show in 4:3 AR with the english dub
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2014/04/21/to ... -releases/
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:23 am

WOW! 16x9 only? Another inconsistency with the rest of Kai and another blow to the Buu arc. :x

It could have at least served as an alternative of sorts to the Dragon Boxes (obviously only to an extent) by having another 4x3 version of the show available. At least there's significantly more footage this time around...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash