Incorporating a News board/News threads?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Incorporating a News board/News threads?

Post by B » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:43 am

So, the oft-quoted, almost memetic phrase "there's a site, too?!" has become a fun in-joke whenever someone asks a seemingly obvious question, if they had just checked the site. But one thing I've noticed is there really isn't a direct forum/website correlation when news pops up. Usually what happens is, in my experience, someone in some thread will link to a piece of news, typically a Japanese site, and then discussion rolls off from there. Eventually, a news post on the main site shows up, giving whoever posted the original news tip a thanks for the heads up, or even just mentions chatter on the forums. Or, the opposite happens: Kanzenshuu gets to the news first... and there's no thread or even conversation within a thread talking about it. At least for a short while, because it's not like the fandom misses a whole lot.

I bring this up because, to be honest, I only have the forum bookmarked, and I have to repeatedly remind myself "durr, check the site, check the site!" And just glancing around, I notice no one has brought up the new Kanzenshuu illustration posters that are going on sale, which you wouldn't probably know about without looking at the site. Maybe there's not much to say about those other than "cool." Maybe it's just my problem, and I need to bookmark the site proper.

Oh, the new CD releases for the Dragon Ball Kai openings and endings. There's been a wealth of things to talk about with Kai's return, but that news has seemingly been absent on the boards as well. Another thing that if someone didn't make a habit of checking the site, would almost seem like it didn't happen.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

hleV
Banned

Re: Incorporating a News board/News threads?

Post by hleV » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:45 am

Bookmark the site, and if you don't see anything interesting in the news, click the big shiny FORUM button. That's how I do it, at least.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:49 am

We thought about it when we launched the combined site, actually. My thinking at the time was that it would invariably end up duplicating conversations. Like you said, news is being discussed on the forum already and/or it ends up getting discussed afterward. Having a news post thread directly embedded within a section of the forum would do little to change that - it would just be more of the same.

We're different from other sites that are more general. We've very specific to what we cover and therefore things (being "conversations") move incredibly fast.

So yeah. Just keep remembering (and reminding everyone else) that hey, Kanzenshuu isn't a forum. It has one, but it has a forum just like it has a podcast and it has a chat room. It's all of those things. It's a website that has all of those cool things as a part of it! :)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Here's an idea that just popped in my head: What about a little side bar on top of the forum that scrolls through current news stories in the past few days, similar to a news station? It could perhaps keep people more well informed and could promote the main site as a user would be interested in seeing the full stories.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:53 pm

hleV wrote:Bookmark the site, and if you don't see anything interesting in the news, click the big shiny FORUM button. That's how I do it, at least.
That's how I do it as well, and it works fine for me.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Here's an idea that just popped in my head: What about a little side bar on top of the forum that scrolls through current news stories in the past few days, similar to a news station? It could perhaps keep people more well informed and could promote the main site as a user would be interested in seeing the full stories.
I like this idea - I don't browse the site unless someone specifically points to a news item that I think I should take a look at - and sometimes I miss important news so that would be great for me. On the other hand the idea of bookmarking the site and taking a look at it every now and then wouldn't work for me (my bookmarks folder has several thousand bookmarks - they simply are what I consider important for my PhD dissertation - and so bookmarking something doesn't mean I will look at it).

Also, no offense meant, but I dislike the look of Kanzenshuu's main page (I love the forum design but the site is too cluttered and has that fugly current-Toriyama-style [which makes me cringe] Goku on it) so I'm not really keen on looking at it often.

ricecake
Beyond Newbie

Post by ricecake » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:17 am

I use the RSS feed to notify me when new news items appear on the main page.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:18 am

ricecake wrote:I use the RSS feed to notify me when new news items appear on the main page.
Likewise. I use Feedly to keep up with every bit of news from the sites I regularly visit. Much easier to keep up with things when they're all in one place.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.