Does Anyone Else Love The "Shiritori" Scene?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Does Anyone Else Love The "Shiritori" Scene?

Post by MagicBox » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:22 am

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, there's a filler scene in the Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z episode 20 (or Kai episode 07, if you prefer) in which Piccolo knocks Gohan off a plateau during their training. Gohan frantically tries to climb back up, only to slip and wind up at the very bottom of the mountain once again. A frustrated, but still determined Gohan stands up, looks to the sky, and starts shouting at Piccolo.
Gohan wrote:Squirrel! ["risu"] Watermelon! ["suika"] Sea gull! ["kamome"] Killifish! ["medaka"] Monster! ["kaijuu"] Cow! ["ushi"] Polar bear! ["shirokuma"] Ball! ["mari"] Apple! ["ringo"] Gorilla! ["gorira"] Lion! ["raion"]

You say the next one!
This is a Japanese word game called Shiritori. Whoever's playing the game has to say a word that begins with the last kana of the previous word. For example, in the above quote, "watermelon" ("suika") ends with "ka," so Gohan uses "sea gull" ("kamome," which begins with "ka") as his next word. You lose the game if you use a word that ends with "n" ("ん"), since no Japanese word begins with that kana. Basically, Gohan's trying to play a game with Piccolo.

I hardly ever hear this scene mentioned, but it's one of my all-time favorite Piccolo/Gohan moments. It's just a tad hard for me to explain why.

I just think the whole thing is adorable. I love seeing four-year-old Gohan let out his frustration in such a childlike way. I love that he uses "lion" as his last word (which ends with "n"), losing his own game and making it impossible for Piccolo to "say the next one." Most of all, I love Piccolo's response. He doesn't tell Gohan to shut up like he normally would, nor does he continue attacking him. He just sits there and listens. To me, this is the first moment in the series when you can see that Piccolo's truly changed. Gohan has melted his heart without either of them even realizing it. We're no longer looking at the son of Piccolo Daimao; the "demon king" we knew is long gone. No background music plays during this scene, which I really like. The silence really makes it work.

For reference, the FUNi dubs change this (for obvious reasons) and give Gohan a speech about how he's not going to give up training. I get why they took the Japanese game out, but I wish they had tried to think of an American game that strikes the same tone.

So, what do you guys think? Cute character moment, random nonsense, or maybe a little of both?
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: Does Anyone Else Love The "Shiritori" Scene?

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:42 am

I never actually understood what it was all about until now, so thanks :)

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:08 am

I, also, never understood the meaning of that scene. Thanks to your explanation, I now have an all new appreciation for it.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:12 am

I enjoyed the scene I found out what he was doing from one of Kanzenshuu's old podcasts, I think it was an early manga review of awesomeness podcast where they explained the game. It makes more sense in Japanese than in english.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:12 am

If only FUNimation could have replaced this with some other kind of word game. I really like this scene, though.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:46 am

I had never understood the scene. I agree that it's almost untranslatable, but there is a way to keep it, more or less.
The Spanish version of the scene had Gohan insulting Piccolo by calling him names of animals (I remember "lion", "rhino" and "penguin"). While the Japanese game is lost, it shows how Gohan has no idea of how to insult and he tries to do the best he can :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:01 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:I had never understood the scene. I agree that it's almost untranslatable, but there is a way to keep it, more or less.
The Spanish version of the scene had Gohan insulting Piccolo by calling him names of animals (I remember "lion", "rhino" and "penguin"). While the Japanese game is lost, it shows how Gohan has no idea of how to insult and he tries to do the best he can :lol:
Oh yes, It's in the portuguese dub as well.
"You're mean!, villian!, ugly!, camel!, penguin!, donkey's head!, bear!, orangutans!, rhino!, fool!, It's what you are Piccolo, IT'S YOU!"
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:02 pm

If the scene did for me what MagicBox suggested, I'd probably really love it.

But it doesn't, because the way it's done, I have no idea why Gohan suddenly does it. He struggles to get up, lets out some tears, stares up determinedly...and shouts out Shiritori words. It's so baffling that I can't focus on anything else. I'd get it if it was supposed to be a joke, but they play it completely straight...

Maybe it's a cultural thing, I dunno. In any case, Kai's dub is an enormous improvement in that I at least get a sense of Gohan toughening up (Z's dub has Gohan call out to Piccolo for help, which wrecks whatever merit that scene may have).

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:15 pm

I tried to contextualize the scene when I first saw it in Japanese, but that was the weasel's last fart...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:10 pm

Looneygamemaster wrote:If the scene did for me what MagicBox suggested, I'd probably really love it.

But it doesn't, because the way it's done, I have no idea why Gohan suddenly does it. He struggles to get up, lets out some tears, stares up determinedly...and shouts out Shiritori words. It's so baffling that I can't focus on anything else. I'd get it if it was supposed to be a joke, but they play it completely straight...
And think it shows that Gohan is so spoiled that he wants to insult Piccolo, but he just doesn't know how, so he tries to piss him off the best he can.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:53 pm

I literally just watched the episode (in Japanese) with the scene today and was extremely baffled by it.

Thanks for clearing it up.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:59 pm

Oh, I didnt know about that. Thanks for the explanation :D
Quebaz wrote: Oh yes, It's in the portuguese dub as well.
"You're mean!, villian!, ugly!, camel!, penguin!, donkey's head!, bear!, orangutans!, rhino!, fool!, It's what you are Piccolo, IT'S YOU!"
haha thats our dub!!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:30 pm

This sounds odd. I haven't seen it in Japanese, and while I was aware that the dialog differs from time to time, I never expected something like this. I don't know why, but this game strikes me as familiar. I swear I've played something kind of like this. Yes, in Fairfax County, Virginia.

So, did you say this scene is in Kai (haven't seen that yet either)? And if so, how does the dub of Kai handle it (being supposedly accurate and everything).
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ricecake
Beyond Newbie

Post by ricecake » Fri May 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:I don't know why, but this game strikes me as familiar. I swear I've played something kind of like this. Yes, in Fairfax County, Virginia.
Sounds like Word chain or the Name Game. Something like it was used in the movie Go. We play it in the car sometimes when we go on road trips.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 02, 2014 1:45 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:This sounds odd. I haven't seen it in Japanese, and while I was aware that the dialog differs from time to time, I never expected something like this. I don't know why, but this game strikes me as familiar. I swear I've played something kind of like this. Yes, in Fairfax County, Virginia.

So, did you say this scene is in Kai (haven't seen that yet either)? And if so, how does the dub of Kai handle it (being supposedly accurate and everything).
Hey, I also live in Fairfax County!

I don't think it's in Kai, and Kai is accurate, nothing "supposedly" about it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri May 02, 2014 5:19 pm

ricecake wrote: Sounds like Word chain or the Name Game. Something like it was used in the movie Go. We play it in the car sometimes when we go on road trips.
I totally remember playing word chain when I was younger. That's probably the one.
ABED wrote:Hey, I also live in Fairfax County!

I don't think it's in Kai, and Kai is accurate, nothing "supposedly" about it.
Whoa, that's cool. :D
Well, actually I grew up there, but I live in Sweden now. I do still visit there all summer every year though.
Yeah, I knew Kai was pretty accurate, and I wonder what they do in Kai instead of this word game, then? Just curious.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat May 03, 2014 12:05 am

ABED wrote:I don't think it's in Kai.
Valerius Dover wrote:So, did you say this scene is in Kai (haven't seen that yet either)? And if so, how does the dub of Kai handle it (being supposedly accurate and everything).
As mentioned in the first post, the scene is actually retained in episode 007 of Kai, despite being filler.

In FUNi's Kai dub, Gohan gives a speech to Piccolo about how he's not going to give up training, no matter what.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs