Should they ignore GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Should they ignore GT?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:07 pm

I notice lately that a few people feel like that they should not be discounting GT and stuff from Toei in recent DB media. Should they retcon GT for good and the movies before Battle of Gods as well? GT is the least popular DB show out of the three and it wasn't popular when it came out. The ratings were lower then they expected and the merchandise at the time didn't do that great neither. If the show didn't do that bad as some people make it out to be then Toei won't end the franchise after 1997. Toei will keep on making something as long if it keeping on selling. For the example, they keep the Super Sentai/Power Rangers franchise keep on going when some of the shows completely bombed.

I won't mind if they ignore GT for good and have AT do his own original ideas. Other franchises have ignore their own bad sequel or sequels in their franchises. Star Trek ignore Star Trek V, Highlander ignore Highlander 2, both Predators and Promethues ignore the AVP films, the new Universal Solider movies ignores Universal Soldier: The Return and Superman Returns ignores the sequels after Superman II. If they ever do ignore GT, it's not like GT is gone forever. You can still watch it on DVD or on the web.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Should they ignore GT?

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 15, 2014 11:23 pm

I'm ok with ignoring it. I'm kind of indifferent to gt. I guess the only thing I'd really miss from it is ssj4. I liked four in part because it wasn't another golden haired form (and really what more can you do appearance-wise after ssj3?). I wouldn't mind a re-purposing of ssj4, but I have no ideas currently as to how.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 16, 2014 12:08 am

I wouldn't mind too much if they chose to ignore it, but I would prefer if they didn't...unless they were going to remake it with Toriyama actually overseeing it like he did Battle of Gods. Maybe not full on script writing like he did with the film, but a lot more creative input than he had the first time around.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri May 16, 2014 12:21 am

Yeah they should ignore it. By ignoring GT the fans will have a newer and better sequel to look forward to. There's little room for story expansion after GT but the end of Z is very open ended so it would be good to start from there again IMO.

I say just treat GT as an alternate universe or something.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:23 am

As long as SSJ4 is somehow salvaged and use again in the future I wouldn't mind.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 16, 2014 12:28 am

They'r ignoring z so ignoring gt is a givin at this point
KentalSSJ6 wrote:As long as SSJ4 is somehow salvaged and use again in the future I wouldn't mind.
We arn't going to see ssj2/3 anymore let alone 4
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I wouldn't mind too much if they chose to ignore it, but I would prefer if they didn't...unless they were going to remake it with Toriyama actually overseeing it like he did Battle of Gods.
Yeah cause that turend out so well didn't it ?

I think the best thing they can do is get someone who knows the story and charecters and keep toriyama away from it
Chuquita wrote: I wouldn't mind a re-purposing of ssj4, but I have no ideas currently as to how.
Have the elder kai release goku and vegeta's hidden powers but insted of looking like gohan they have the ssj'4 design cause they'r full blooded saiyans
Last edited by sintzu on Fri May 16, 2014 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:35 am

sintzu wrote:They'r ignoring z so ignoring gt is a givin at this point
KentalSSJ6 wrote:As long as SSJ4 is somehow salvaged and use again in the future I wouldn't mind.
We arn't going to see ssj2/3 anymore let alone 4
We dont know that. Chronologically SSJ4 comes after SSJG in the timeline and anything can happen in the gap between Z and GT. Nothing says SSJ4 will never appear again.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 16, 2014 1:15 am

sintzu wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I wouldn't mind too much if they chose to ignore it, but I would prefer if they didn't...unless they were going to remake it with Toriyama actually overseeing it like he did Battle of Gods.
Yeah cause that turend out so well didn't it ?

I think the best thing they can do is get someone who knows the story and charecters and keep toriyama away from it
Yeah, it did. Contrary to your opinion, there are people who liked Battle of Gods. To me, it turned out great. The characters really feel like the ones from the manga. I hope Toriyama stays involved with the franchise for as long as possible, even if he causes a little chaos along the way.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:21 am

With the way the franchise is going right now I'm pretty sure a full-on confirmation that GT is non-canonical is not on the cards any time soon. Just look at Dragon Ball Heroes - GT has been and continues to be an important part of that part of the franchise, and there wouldn't be a great reaction from the thousands of Japanese children (that print a LOT of money) that a large part of the game isn't really Dragon Ball (and that isn't mentioning every other game that features GT characters). Battle of Gods and most recent Toriyama stuff (other than Online backstory, which as we all know completely ignores it) haven't acknowledged it specifically but I think they're at least making small efforts to make sure they don't discount it entirely.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 16, 2014 4:10 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: Yeah, it did. Contrary to your opinion, there are people who liked Battle of Gods. To me, it turned out great. The characters really feel like the ones from the manga. I hope Toriyama stays involved with the franchise for as long as possible, even if he causes a little chaos along the way.
Don't get me wrong the movie was fun but not amazing
jda95 wrote:I think they're at least making small efforts to make sure they don't discount it entirely.
Having goku and the others not go ssj2/3 again would explain why they didn't in gt
Last edited by sintzu on Fri May 16, 2014 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri May 16, 2014 7:22 am

I honestly think we will se SSJ4 again but under the Z title. It might or might not be called Ssj4 though.

Also don't Saint Seiya and Metal Gear ignore or recton their "GT ". Like stuff that wasn't made by creator,

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Fri May 16, 2014 7:43 am

Having goku and the others not go ssj2/3 again would explain why they didn't in gt
They did, Goku and Vegeta did used their SSJ2 forms and Goku used his SSJ3 too. Vegeta used SSJ2 against Super 17, and Goku against Rildo, and SSJ3 against Super Vegeta-Baby 1 AND 2. But after ascending to SSJ4 Goku didn't use only his simple SSJ against Super 17 in the first clash.

Anyway, returning to the topic. I wouldn't be worried to ignored GT, but I'd really miss the final part when Goku leaves with Shenlon. If someting happens and they will to till the beginning of GT and they ignore it I'd be fine with Goku to have some ending like it was in the GT.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 16, 2014 8:32 am

Low Tone G wrote:
They did, Goku and Vegeta did used their SSJ2 forms and Goku used his SSJ3 too. Vegeta used SSJ2 against Super 17, and Goku against Rildo, and SSJ3 against Super Vegeta-Baby 1 AND 2. But after ascending to SSJ4 Goku didn't use only his simple SSJ against Super 17 in the first clash.
I know goku did but not much and didn't the gt perfect files say that vegeta and gohan were ssj's only ?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri May 16, 2014 8:37 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Should they retcon GT for good and the movies before Battle of Gods as well?
Yes, in my opinion there is nothing worth saving on those. And as long as AT is involved, it will always be worth checking out.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Fri May 16, 2014 8:44 am

sintzu wrote:
Low Tone G wrote:
I know goku did but not much and didn't the gt perfect files say that vegeta and gohan were ssj's only ?
Maybe, but it's certain that Goku used his 3 forms.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 am

Well, if Toriyama continues to be at the helm of the new Dragon World then I expect it to be ignored like the Bardock TV special was. At the same time I don't expect the new stories to actually move beyond the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai like GT did. The story will probably continue to be set in the era between the end of the Boo arc and the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri May 16, 2014 9:29 am

Makaioshin wrote:Well, if Toriyama continues to be at the helm of the new Dragon World then I expect it to be ignored like the Bardock TV special was. At the same time I don't expect the new stories to actually move beyond the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai like GT did. The story will probably continue to be set in the era between the end of the Boo arc and the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai.
Yes, pretty much this and given that my name is anti GT(dragon ball gtF***Off) it's no wonder, that this approach delights me. :P

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri May 16, 2014 11:45 am

dbgtFO wrote:Yes, pretty much this and given that my name is anti GT(dragon ball gtF***Off) it's no wonder, that this approach delights me. :P
I thought it standed for "Get the F*** Out" :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:44 pm

I'd rather they ignore BOG.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri May 16, 2014 1:48 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:I'd rather they ignore BOG.
They should build a time machine and prevent Toei from making that garbage