Bootleg DVD thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Re: Bootleg DVD thread

Post by ss4songoku » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:24 am

Wow the artwork is actually quite well done however I don't condone buying them whatsoever. It's ignorant people buying crap like that drive Funi to release products of lesser quality and higher price like how they cancelled the Level sets in favor of the season blu-rays with a cheap transfer. No excuse for cropping though lol. I found this on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Ball-Epi ... 1553289215

can't find the real thing anywhere from the magazine

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:34 am

ss4songoku wrote:Wow the artwork is actually quite well done however I don't condone buying them whatsoever. It's ignorant people buying crap like that drive Funi to release products of lesser quality and higher price like how they cancelled the Level sets in favor of the season blu-rays with a cheap transfer. No excuse for cropping though lol. I found this on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Ball-Epi ... 1553289215

Yeah I'd agree but the only dbz release in the uk is the orange bricks and I don't have a fortune to import dragon boxes :/

I'm gonna get MangaUKs dragon ball release tho
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:03 am

ss4songoku wrote:Wow the artwork is actually quite well done however I don't condone buying them whatsoever. It's ignorant people buying crap like that drive Funi to release products of lesser quality and higher price like how they cancelled the Level sets in favor of the season blu-rays with a cheap transfer. No excuse for cropping though lol. I found this on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Ball-Epi ... 1553289215

Is that a real bluray? I wonder where he got the "HD" copy from

Edit: Actually he says it's a DVD in the description, but the picture has the bluray logo...

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:21 am

thomas1up wrote:

Yeah I'd agree but the only dbz release in the uk is the orange bricks and I don't have a fortune to import dragon boxes :/

I'm gonna get MangaUKs dragon ball release tho
The Blu ray season sets work in the uk aswell, not much better than the orange bricks tho.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:39 am

This one seems to pop up every now and then:

"Surroud" lol and instead of using actual screenshots it's wallpapers.

This is currently going for £30 on eBay and regardless of telling the seller this is another booty (I reported though) it'd be pointless because what he wants is just to sell the damn thing and get his money back (he apparently paid £50 for it).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dragonball-Z- ... 1c43077003
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:20 am

I've always been curious about this bootleg set:

It's the english dub and stretches out over 'parts'. I have always wondered if it is just the Pioneer release copied DVD > DVD or whether there is compression, I'm sure I also remember someone saying it was just a home recording of the Toonami broadcast, so I'd be interested to know either way as this bootleg has been around for a while.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:37 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:After chatting with the seller of the awesome looking DBZ bootleg he decided to post more pics and oh my god, how cool is that! The reversible covers have each character printed on them as well as the discs! :D

If he'd sell me this for £10 it'd go asap.
You know these aren't bootlegs, right? They're official Chinese releases of DBZ.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:26 am

I think it's weird but kind of understandable. The confusion between fansubs and bootlegs like fan subs are more of just translating a Japanese shows with subtitles that aren't really accurate to the actual source. Like does anybody know what's the true difference between bootleg and fansub

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:56 am

Dragon ball master wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:26 am. Like does anybody know what's the true difference between bootleg and fansub
I mean, I don't see why they should be mutually exclusive?

Bootlegs can contain fansubs. They are unofficially licensed products and back in the 90s there was an underground scene populated by people who wanted to watch the show uncut and in Japanese who built up collections of tapes subbed by Anime Labs. These fansubs, like most at the time, were notoriously inaccurate and used a lot of swears for shock value, which probably influenced Funimation in some way with their attempts to portray Dragon Ball Z as a mature, adult show in the Ultimate Uncut era and in their bizzarre love for the word "bastard" in more recent dubs. Those old fansubbed versions of Dragon Ball were evidently popular though as they made their way to an official outlet, on the Nippon Golden TV channel in Hawaii.

I guess nowadays there are less bootlegs, as more fans are content with owning their content in digital form so they'd rather download fansubs online than import tapes or discs from places like Hong Kong, although I've heard reports of there being quite a few bootleg Super Blu-Rays and Dragon Ball's Blue Bricks, so they are still out there, likely to capitalize on the fans who wanted to own the former physically but didn't want to pay $30 for 13 episodes or didn't like the cardboard packaging for the latter.

Fansubs are probably less common now for stuff Funimation/Crunchyroll has already released but when Daima comes out we'll probably see more as there will be plenty of fans not willing to wait for Steve Simmons' official subs and will settle for what makes the rounds online.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:40 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:56 am
Dragon ball master wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:26 am. Like does anybody know what's the true difference between bootleg and fansub
Those old fansubbed versions of Dragon Ball were evidently popular though as they made their way to an official outlet, on the Nippon Golden TV channel in Hawaii.

This is wrong. Nippon Golden TV didn't use fansubs.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:05 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:40 am This is wrong. Nippon Golden TV didn't use fansubs.
Fair enough. Did they sub it themselves?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:26 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:05 am
sangofe wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:40 am This is wrong. Nippon Golden TV didn't use fansubs.
Fair enough. Did they sub it themselves?
As far as I know, they did. Maybe they hired someone but it wasn't a fansub.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:10 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:56 am

Fansubs are probably less common now for stuff Funimation/Crunchyroll has already released but when Daima comes out we'll probably see more as there will be plenty of fans not willing to wait for Steve Simmons' official subs and will settle for what makes the rounds online.
I wouldn't be terribly suprised if there's some sort of simulcast where official subs are released the same time as the Japanese release. Especially with Toei announcing Daima at a New York con. Although watch it be Toei approved subs where we see things like Shenron, Flying Nimbus, and Power Pole.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:34 pm

Chiming in that the Nippon Golden Network subs were not "fansubs" and were indeed internal creations.

Recordings were routinely distributed in fansub circles, but it's not technically correct to categorize them as fansubs.

Also: this thread was a full ten years dead. I don't see/understand why it was responded to...? I don't really understand how/why people look up extremely old threads and respond to them as if it's a current conversation.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:07 pm

I already made this topic. There is much info also.

viewtopic.php?t=43610