Episode #0008 (08 January 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0008 (08 January 2006)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:16 am

Episode #0008 (download MP3)
44:15; 64 kbps, mono; 20.2 MB

Episode #0008! VegettoEX and Meri (Julian's in Japan!) go over video game news, and all Saiya-jin name puns. We also respond in-depth to some listener audio questions regarding Freeza's forms, top three favorite voice actors (both English and Japanese), and more! Referenced sites: Special guests: Us! (Mike, Meri)

Whee! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the *eight* episodes, now. I'm hoping to grab Julian for next week, but if not, I've still got some special stuff planned. Meri and I really had a crapload of fun with this episode, and we think you'll find a few amusing things in it... ^_~
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:50 am

anyone else getting weird hissing and the audio sounding slightly to 'high' in tone?

The Mole
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Mole » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:21 am

If you are unable to get a hold of Julian, I will gladly be your guest. You can just tell me what to do and where to go to be: The Next Guest on Daizenshuu EX the Podcast. But seriously, If you can't find your Minion, I'll gladly help.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:25 am

OK, well as always great job. Now here are somethings that I would like to comment on (esspecially since I sent in the Freeza question).

I went up to my room & got Volume 9 of DBZ & I took some scans (note, these are from Viz). I know these scans are not the best so I will tell what they say, just icase you cannot read them.

Scan 1

OK, the quote to look for in here would be:

Vegeta: You mine as well transform now & show us who you REALLY are.

OK, now this quote leads me to believe he was born in his Final Form, however this could also be interpreted into "fighters terms" (yes I made that up), as meaning, show us your full power.

Now then, here's another scan:

Scan 2

Now this quote is as you mentioned from Episode 77 (I think that's what you said). However I think the Manga has it a bit different to lead me towards him being born in his First Form.

Freeza: Or in my case I become so power that I cannot control myself

Now the word "become" is what I am staring at. Become as in this transformation is something beyond his normal power for him to become this. OK well those are my thoughts.

Now for a second thing.

The Voice Actor comment that you made, about "bias".....I never have wanted to admit it, but I am bias towards the FUNi dub, because they are what I firs got started in. What made me relize this is how you were talking about Dub Freeza.......I've always thought to myself, Dub Goku is so much better than Japaneese Goku because Jap. Goku sounds like he got kicked in the balls. Yet now I relize.....Dub Freeza sounds like he got kicked in the balls & yet I still prefer him. I guess this is just human nature.

Finally, I just wanna say, you do a great Dub Roshi.....& trust me I know what you mean on the "some days you're off" in the voice. I can do a great Sabat Piccolo but other times I sound like crap. :lol:
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:29 am

Yes, I hear the hissing too. That, however, did not stop me from enjoying this episode and all of that fanservice thrown right into the mix.

I've typed, and re-typed out what I wanted to say several times over by now, and still can't come up with what I want to say. So I'll try again.

I really enjoyed the cast; had a few laughs, just coasted along like usual listening to all of the fun facts, and the cursing back and forth between you two when one stifles the other in some way. But the part I really enjoyed was the end, when you took the last voice-mail, and threw us some more Roshi!

There are no words that I can think of to appropriately describe just how happy, and amused I was when I heard that.

Dōmo Arigatō~!

The Mole wrote:If you are unable to get a hold of Julian, I will gladly be your guest. You can just tell me what to do and where to go to be: The Next Guest on Daizenshuu EX the Podcast. But seriously, If you can't find your Minion, I'll gladly help.
The next guest must be GoC! (GodofChaos.)

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:46 am

godofchaos wrote:anyone else getting weird hissing and the audio sounding slightly to 'high' in tone?
It sounds normal to me, but then again I'm listening to it on my laptop speakers, which aren't all that great. I would listen on my stereo headphones, but they're broken.

Anyway, as for the Freeza transformation thing, right before Freeza transforms into his final form, Freeza says "You'll see my true form." However, I also have a theory of my own regarding his first form. If you notice, he wears pants in every form but his last, possibly suggesting that his true form is designed to be the perfect form for combat, meaning no external gentiles. Freeza mentioned that he had "parents", as in plural, more than one, which implies that his species does not reproduce asexually. So in fact, while his true form may be best for combat, the first form we see him in may be the form that his species breeds in. Just something to think about.

For the voice actors, I too am a huge fan of Scott McNeil. In fact I would probably have to say he is my favorite English VA. As for the "VA bias", apparently that doesn't apply to me, because the first version I was introduced to was the dub (long before I ever saw the sub), but I grew to greatly prefer the Japanese version in just about all things.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:13 am

Great episode. For other Scott McNeil voices, I love his Señor Hasbeena from Mucha Lucha. I've only heard his Principal Kuno voice once, when I met him. And EX, great Roshi voice. If I had a recorder, I'd probably send a voice e-mail doing my Mr. Satan voice.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:13 am

I enjoyed this one. I agree that Ian Corlett and Scott McNeil are absolutely amazing.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:51 am

Damnit. Do you realize how hard it was trying not to wake anyone up with my laughter after the whole Roshi imitation? :(

Great stuff. As for regarding Freeza talking more about his need to reduce his power into forms, it doesn't seem to be brought up at all in the Japanese dub of the DVD "Transformation."

I'd like to comment also that Sean's indeed improved on Goku over the years, but I gotta agree that he just doesn't seem like he's doing the angry side right. What really sounds annoying is all the unnecessary grunting that he does. I think we've all had a laugh at the infamous "Kamehame-Ha Dump" at one point. :P

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:20 am

I *never* want to have someone else on the show JUST for the sake of having someone else on the show. Whomever you hear is for a reason; they serve some purpose beyond "I'm here because I can be" (yes, even Meri does ^_~).

That said, just because Julian's in Japan and may not be able to do every episode, I'm not going to force myself to have an extra person every time he's not there. If someone's going to be on the show, they're going to be on for a pre-determined purpose based on their specific expertise.

When podcasts turn into "here are some people, let's talk" (essentially just a giant circle-jerk about themselves)... you don't get listeners. This can't be a podcast for ONLY you folks... it has to go beyond that.

And that's probably more information than you were looking for, but that's OK! :D
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:39 pm

Since people are talking about Ian Corlett, and Scott McNeil, I am going to make reference to my most recent hearing of Scott.

If anyone watches Toon Disney, and made it a point to watch the animated feature "Kong: King of Atlantis" (yep, they're cashing in.) You will notice the character "Tan" has this strange, yet familiar surfer dude sort of voice; yep, Scott McNeil. It was damn near creepy.

(Note: "Kong: King of Atlantis" was a 2005 tv-movie based on their 2000 series "Kong: The Animated Series".

Cast:
Kirby Morrow: Jason Jenkins;
Scott McNeil: Eric 'Tan' Tannenbaum IV;
Saffron Henderson: Lua;)

It's a rather bad cartoon, all-in-all, but it was amusing to hear Kirby Morrow use the same damn voice AGAIN, as well as Scott McNeil use his goofy surfer voice yet again, and Saffron Henderson actually do a bit of vocal derivation from other parts.

I'll have to side with Mike and Meri, Ian Corlett and Scott McNeil are my favorite fromers'.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:04 pm

For the Frieza part, I would have to say that he would of had to work his way up to the forth stage because cooler must of trained to reach 5th. Kinda like super saiya-jin levels.
But thats just my opinion.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:09 pm

But that wouldn't make sense since Freeza says his transformations are to supress his power from going out of his control. Doesn't make sense for him to be like any other person and start at a base form of lower power when his forms are downgraded simply to supress his power.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:13 pm

DBZ MAN wrote:For the Freeza part, I would have to say that he would of had to work his way up to the forth stage because cooler must of trained to reach 5th. Kinda like super saiya-jin levels.
Cooler is non-cannon. But you do bring up a good point that I neglected....why would Toei make Cooler transform upwards if it weren't true, they must have thought it was, the only question is, is this their opinion, or do they know this from Toriyama.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:37 pm

Great Saiyaman wrote: Vegeta: You mine as well transform now & show us who you REALLY are.

OK, now this quote leads me to believe he was born in his Final Form, however this could also be interpreted into "fighters terms" (yes I made that up), as meaning, show us your full power.
In the anime, Vegeta's quote goes as follows:

Vegeta: Let's get right to it. Why don't you transform and show us your true self. By using the word true, I believe it supports that the last form Freeza takes is his "true form" and the form that was in the hover chair was a "de-evolved state to contain his power.

Another theory I have to support this is Dragonball Z Movie #5. At the beginning, when Freeza is destroying planet Vegeta, Cooler is already in the form that is similar to Freeza's "true form". Considering Freeza stated he did not need to transform to defeat Vegeta's father or the Saiya-jins:

This would mean either: 1) Cooler encountered someone stronger than the Saiya-jin and had to transform or 2) Cooler being stronger than Freeza was able to control power in that form but still had not reached his "true form"

This may also explain why Cooler was not in his "true form" in Movie #6. It was too powerful and he only used it that one time against Goku.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:06 pm

Great Saiyaman wrote:
DBZ MAN wrote:For the Freeza part, I would have to say that he would of had to work his way up to the forth stage because cooler must of trained to reach 5th. Kinda like super saiya-jin levels.
Cooler is non-cannon. But you do bring up a good point that I neglected....why would Toei make Cooler transform upwards if it weren't true, they must have thought it was, the only question is, is this their opinion, or do they know this from Toriyama.
Well, I don't think Toriyama-sama had an issue with it. He did design Cooler, after all. I've always just taken Freeza's remark as meaning that he doesn't stay in his transformed states, but reverts to his lower forms, because he has trouble controlling his power day-to-day otherwise.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:31 pm

well frieza's son (not sure if its non-cannon) can transform into 4th form as well. does this bear any significance?

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:34 pm

At first I wasn't very interesting, but after downloading episode 6 you got me hooked. Damn you Mike :)

Anyway, you're probably tired of all the oun talk but I'd like to know about the characters Bebi, Dr. Myuu and Dr. Raichi to see if their names are puns on fruit.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:04 pm

Damn, thanks a lot for going so in depth with my question! I had no problem with listing your favorite Japanese VAs as well, since I figured you would do that anyway...in fact I should've put that in the question to begin with. My bad XD I can understand being more into the Ocean Group cast though. I did as well, but I guess since I'm such a FUNimation tard by now, I've grown to like them a bit more after all of these years (Even gotten to meet some of them!). I DO love Ocean Studios as well, since they do a great performance on several other fav animes of mine. I appreciate you talking about good 'ol Sonny though, and I know you guys both have an attachment to Eric Vale :P

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:21 am

Even though Toriyama approved of Cooler, it still doesn't have much bearing on his story. But even so, I always thought that Cooler's 5th transformation was just a normal power up transformation like Zarbon's. I still stick by the fact that Freeza said his fourth form was his "true form". Cooler's transformation is pretty cool looking though.