A look at Goku and Vegeta after Potara fusion.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

A look at Goku and Vegeta after Potara fusion.

Post by nhienphan2808 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:55 am

(deleted thread.
Last edited by nhienphan2808 on Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: A look at Goku and Vegeta after Potara fusion.

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:59 am

This...is quite honestly the most fascinating DBZ theory I have ever heard in my life. I always did notice that Goku started making a lot of questionable decisions at around this time, and honestly...this theory explains a lot, AND makes a lot of sense. So...great job dude :thumbup: !! Feel free to post whatever other theories you have as well, because I enjoyed this!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:06 am

nhienphan2808 wrote:We don't know whether this was Toriyama's intended intentions or not
I can almost guarantee you it wasn't.

Toriyama never thinks about his characters in any sort of meaningful way. To him, they're just there to fight and move the plot forward (usually by fighting). This goes especially for the Buu saga, since by this point Toriyama was sick of writing the series and it wouldn't make much sense for him to all of a sudden write his characters with more care if he couldn't even stand writing the manga anymore.

Plus, I doubt Toriyama even has the skill to intentionally pull something like that off. His specialty is gag-style writing, and he's not too good at writing anything that isn't in that style.
Last edited by thatdbzguy on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:08 am

Just so you know, ThatDBZGuy, for some strange reason, hates almost everything about DBZ and is doing everything in his power to say how much it sucks, despite being a huge fan a year ago. I dunno what's up with that, but either way, I still think you have a really cool theory here :thumbup: !
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:26 am

It's really nice to see this theory with the evidence behind it. I have heard of similar theories, and I do agree that undoing the fusion may have not been as clear-cut as Gokû and Vegeta may have wanted it. It definitely left psychological effects.

Also, the "What was that?" collage is amazing. X3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:56 am

Wow this is a really awesome theory, Great read! You brought up a lot of interesting points about their characters switching.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:51 am

I've heard this theory a few times before.

What I think is that Toriyama wanted them to be more friendly, possibly as a result of their fusion. Perhaps that simply was his line of thinking, and everything else is looking deeper into it than he did. :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:46 am

Nice theory. Very interesting and makes sense :thumbup:
And lol @ that face :lol:

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:32 am

I would've prefered if you kept the anime out of this, but it was somewhat interesting nevertheless.
However, knowing Toriyama and all, I could treat all these changes in Goku and Vegeta's personalities "a doing of a man who was tired of this shit and wanted to finish the series". I think it would've been brought up in some official source if this was actually intended and confirmed by the author.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:43 pm

I have always thought Goku acted strange in the Buu saga, but I always considered Vegeta's change to be normal character development. Very cool theory!
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:50 pm

Highly interesting. There's definitely different chemistry between the two after the fusion. But, I doubt it was anything Toriyama planned. I'm almost certain he just wrote it in a way to wrap things up like hleV said.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:18 pm

While I agree with the others who've said that this is likely not what Toriyama was going for, this is still an absolutely fascinating analysis.

Seriously, nhienphan, thanks for such a good read. I'm getting close to revisiting these chapters myself and it'll be especially fun with this new perspective. :thumbup:
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:41 pm

When you think about what fusion could be like for the users, it makes sense that it would create a special bond and that each other's personnalities would overlap a bit on each other's minds.

Since they remember who people are, what they've been through, how to do each of the original warriors' technics, etc... it means they have the memories of both for an instant, and they likely remember the fusion time after it's over. There was this ambiguity with Gotenks' first fusion attempt, but concretely, you never saw the defused fighters not remembering what they did when fused, they were never like "huh? Where are we? Did we do something good when fused? Were we stronger than the enemy or not?", etc... AND this first time, it was the temporary dance fusion, which may not work the same way as the potalas fusion meant to be definitive, with perhaps some additionnal "safety" measures for the dance fusion, less "blending" because the users are meant to safely return to their original selves soon (which makes you wonder if the time limit was an actual physical unintended limit, or if it is some sort of safety measure to return to your original selves).

So basically, I guess when you fuse with someone, there's a good chance you keep all of his life memories with you on top of your own life memories, due to sharing a same mind with memories put in common, and remembering that afterwards. And that would lead to a better understanding of the other one's behavior and partly change yours, since a part of our behavior comes from knowledge and experiences we've gathered through life. By inheritating the memories of your fusion partner's life, you'd inheritate their experiences and the conclusions they drew as to what's the best behavior to have and what's the pleasure or inconveniences you can have when you behave in this way or that way, which would impact your own behavior.

I don't know if I make myself clear. :crazy:
But anyway, there's a lot of fun things to think about when you imagine what fusion must feel like during and after the process.
Congrats for your very complete analysis, nhienphan2808. 8)

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:24 pm

It is a little depressing to think about though, the fact that the Goku we know and love so much...has been tainted by some of Vegeta's evil :cry: . Although, then again, maybe he just really respects the guy. In fact, his whole obsession with fusion...it doesn't strike me as him wanting power, it strikes me as him having had a REALLY fun time with Vegeta, and finally getting to know this guy who he's always had this weird fascination with since the Saiyan Saga, and wanting to know more about him, and get more into his head.

Maybe it's because he wants to help Vegeta overcome his negative qualities even more...or maybe he finds some of Vegeta's arrogant attitudes and stuff really cool and awesome (like a child would), and thinks he can be even more cool and awesome if he takes on more of Vegeta's qualities.

Lozjudai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lozjudai » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:05 pm

So if Goku is tainted with Vegetas evil, does it mean that the devilmite beam would work on Goku since he is not pure hearted anymore?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:22 pm

This is a very interesting conclusion but I think it is just a result of people not being one-dimensional and learning. So many deep thoughts about that are very un-Dragon Ball-like.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:43 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with evil. It's personality traits IMO.

By the way, does this theory mean that Goku not knowing about Tarble and Beerus is a plothole? He had all of Vegeta's memories during the fusion.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Fantastic read, a really good theory.

Not sure if it was Toriyama's intention but I think this might be my head canon now
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:45 pm

I noticed this but always put it down to them just becoming friends after all the fighting they had to go through.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Goku also offered the old kai to fondle Bulma's boobs. Very unlike Goku if we look at him up to that point.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada